What's crackin? My chain, that's what... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

What's crackin? My chain, that's what...

Soooo I'm here actually because I wanna see if you guys can help me figure something out.

2003 Suzuki GSX1300R (Hayabusa)

I've always had bikes where chains have these spots that are slightly tighter, normally no big deal. My chain on the Hayabusa keeps getting way loose way fast and this last time I rode it and lubed it, I felt the chain and it was tight beyond spec (almost zero play), I moved the bike back a couple feet and it was loose beyond spec (couple inches of play). Not joking about that, it goes from nothing to a couple inches depending on where the chain is.

What the holy hell? It only does this when the chain is in one specific area, I marked the rear sprocket and rolled it one full revolution of the sprocket itself and the chain is still loose. But when I line the master link up in just this one area the whole chain gets very tight.

Any suggestions? Bad chain? Bad sprocket? Something completely different? I don't want to run out and buy a new chain and sprocket set just to find out it's something I could have checked before.

Thanks!

RK Chain
Unknown steel sprockets (P/O installed them)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Cornicen

The only time I've ever ran into the situation you're writing about was on a buddy's R6, while seeing AMA at Road America. Same exact problem. While there we figured we hit the information motherload because of all the bike techs.

Hitting up one of the Yamaha guys, he said it was definitely a bad (worn) chain, and had us do the following, so we could make it back home without having to wait an extra day (we had rode to the track from Iowa)

He said it was a long shot, but he had us spin the tire till the tightest spot was rolling over the back sprocket. Then he put a small screwdriver into one of the teeth, and forced the wheel to rotate and stretch the chain slightly. Then he adjusted it to be fairly loose but without a ton of slop. It worked. With a LOT of luck we made it back to Davenport, where the chain snapped about 2 miles from home and we were lucky no one got hit with it.

After a new chain, all was right with the world. My buddies sprockets were good, and he's had many track days since with no issues. I'm sure there are lots of other variables to consider, this is just one story and lucky conclusion.

Seems logical with such a powerful bike that over time it would be easy to wear a chain with hard launches and such, especially if its the same one you bought the bike with.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Make sure to replace sprocket, counter, and chain. Not just the chain

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1
Make sure to replace sprocket, counter, and chain. Not just the chain
+100. Especially on that beast.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

And put the best quality 530 chain you can on it, too. Steel sprockets, none of that aluminum crap, that bike would probably eat it in a week.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys, I'll be putting on a new RK GB530GXW or EK 530ZZZ chain and a pair of JT steel sprockets. Just weird, never had a bike that's done this.

Edit: Unless you guys can think of a better chain/sprocket setup; always open to opinion.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojudo View Post
while seeing AMA at Road America.
Off topic but kinda funny, I just made the cruise up there with my bike, although I had to tak on an extra hour or so being from Iowa City. I had a car I was working on that was running up there for the sprints, cat, and the runoffs this year. I love the track but I wish their showers were a little less nasty.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

By the way...

Here's the chain in Question :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode