STL,MO newbie to bikes and 919, NEED HELP! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

STL,MO newbie to bikes and 919, NEED HELP!

hey all, i'm nearly 33 yrs old, just bought my first motorcycle, a brand new '07 919, waiting for my MSF course in a couple weeks, been tooling around the side streets a little bit (3 times)in the last week, which is my ONLY experience riding, i only have bicycle experience previously; i would appreciate anybody in the area who would ride with a brother and share some pointers, as i have already kind've dropped my bike (half dropped, half laid down, couldn't stop it so it was more of a set down, but still frustrating, broke brake lever, bent brake pedal, hardly noticeable scratches--none on the paint--yay!! and no injury) also, any help with the bike, maintenance and mods, etc; AND lastly (hahaha), is there anything i can do to make the throttle response worse until i can handle the amazing torque this bike seems to have??? sorry so long, i'm a newb with poor PC skills, limited PC access, and lots of questions and concerns, and not an abundance of time and money (i know, what am i doing with a motorcycle, well, hopefully riding it safely soon):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd wait on riding the 919 until taking the course, you don't want to wreck her before you get your license. Then after the course maybe practice in a parking lot so you will be out of traffic. When stopping make sure your handlebars are square (front tire straight.) Look where you want to go and wear gear!

post #3 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The one thing you did not mention is your gear, You will learn a term in your MSF class ATGATT which stands for All the Gear ALL the Time, so take this time while you wait to get good gear. Take it easy. No one can/will blame you for being excited to "play" with your new toy, but now is when you are most dangerous to yourself, the bike and others, so be careful. Screw looking cool, trust me/us the bike has enough street cred for both of you, but it won't do you any good sitting in a hospital.
I'll get off my soap box now.........

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.

post #4 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
I'd wait on riding the 919 until taking the course, you don't want to wreck her before you get your license. Then after the course maybe practice in a parking lot so you will be out of traffic. When stopping make sure your handlebars are square (front tire straight.) Look where you want to go and wear gear!

Do what she said, Enjoy the course, then take your 919 out and enjoy it. Come back and ask as many questions as you like!

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #5 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

welcome.. feel free to ask many questions and check out the search tool to find information on things that have been covered. including tires we go over them weekly.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #6 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Welcome and +1 on taking the course, then riding. If you don't have it yet, shop for some good gear in the mean time. You will learn a whole lot in the MSF that will keep you safe.

post #7 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 PM
MAM Customs

Hello and welcome. What everyone else said and remember you'll have plenty of time later after you're more comfortable riding to go fast. Don't be tempted to utilize the power too soon.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #8 of 27 Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 PM
919>food>beer

Remember when you are on the road that every one is trying to kill you! you gotta drive defensivly, dont read that as irratic or fast, rather you need to watch the cars and anticipate what they will do, always plan an escape route, you see a car turning into your lane, expect they don't see you, postion you and your bike to where you can get around or away if they violate your lane rights.

Always look where you want to go, if you fixate on something you will more than likely hit it.

Braking, 90 percnt should be done with the front, but you need to be smooth! if you lock up the front brake you will go down in a split second, you lock up the rear keep it locked till you stop.

Avoid the center of the lanes as that is a major area of oil build up and you have very little traction there. If you get caught in the rain, painted lines and reflectors are evil! They are very slick, avoid being on your brakes across them. Also, Make sure you're upright and square before braking, you brake while turning the result will probably be bad.

Gear up! yeah that jacket may look hot, but it'll actually keep you cooler and less likey to dehydrate, it keeps your sweat from drying too quickly, the helmet, well let me put it this way if I didn't have a full faced helmet on I wouldn't have a face ( accident was caused by some one violating my lane on a cold night). The pants... well the majority of your scars will end up on your legs on a get off, take care of them, good boots and gloves... it sucks when a bike smashes your ankle then rips your shoe off leaving you sliding down the road bare foot at 50 mph ( really, I know) and my gloves had holes burnt in them, but my skin didn't. Moral of the story, it doesn't have to be your fault, but it is your skin!

I really suggest taking the course ASAP, they are awsome and will teach you so much, worth every penny you spend, and will probably save you a lot on bike repairs.

post #9 of 27 Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Welcome to WT Park the 9'er untill you have taken the course...In the meantime, Aquire all your gear and wear it all the time, No matter how hot it gets.

Then after your course, Take it slow and learn your bike and learn to ride...Get comfotable with it and the controls before you think about putting serious miles on it.

Enjoy

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #10 of 27 Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

hey all, thx 4 replies, i'lll post more when i get a chance, waiting on parts to fix my lever (and might need more, dont know yet) and waiting on dealer about gear also, already have some, will bring more questions soon about gear, bike issues, accessories, riding tips, etc;

post #11 of 27 Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hey jesusorhell I'm over in St Charles & would be happy to go riding with you after you take your MSF course. If you need help fixing things PM me. Also, I don't know what dealer you are usings but, Donaldson Cycles on St Charles Rock Rd has a good selection of gear, so does Cycle Gear on St Charels Rock Rd.

2006 919 (Sold)
2011 Cb1000r

"oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." - Cage The Elephant
post #12 of 27 Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

hey all, while i'm searching for gear, and waiting on a new brake lever, and driving myself crazy wondering if my brakes are OK, and awaiting the upcoming MSF course, i am wondering where to find info and pics on luggage rack options for the 919, id seen some before, but cant seem to find again, also, i keep getting prompted that i need to log on when trying to post or send messages, yet i'm already logged on, this happens on another 919 forum also, so i'm sure i'm just a moron, HELP anyone???

post #13 of 27 Old 05-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusorhell View Post
hey all, while i'm searching for gear, and waiting on a new brake lever, and driving myself crazy wondering if my brakes are OK, and awaiting the upcoming MSF course, i am wondering where to find info and pics on luggage rack options for the 919, id seen some before, but cant seem to find again, also, i keep getting prompted that i need to log on when trying to post or send messages, yet i'm already logged on, this happens on another 919 forum also, so i'm sure i'm just a moron, HELP anyone???
Twisted Throttle is a good place to start. Good luck!

post #14 of 27 Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome.
You dropped the bike... Congrats, got that out of the way early, now never do it again.
As for learning, you are doig the right thing admitting you need some help and taking the MSF course.

You bike is fine, your brakes are fine, everything but the lever is fine. Do not even give it another thought.

As for luggage options.... just window shop for now. No sense dumping money into your bike while learning. The real investment should be in gear right now. It transfers from bike to bike, so a smart investment to not skimp on.

www.newenough.com is a good place to look as well for gear. Usually last years stuff and stupid cheap prices.

Welcome!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #15 of 27 Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Welcome, Jesusorhell. I won the eBay bid for my 9er DURING my MSF course last June so I know exactly the boat you are in. After almost a year in the saddle and a few thousand miles, I am finally beginning to appreciate how much I don't know about the limits of this amazing machine!

Take ALL of the safety advice offered above. If I could expand on Jeef's observations I would add the element of time. Only increase your aggression on the throttle with your ability to process all of that information quickly and comfortably. It's amazing how quickly traffic lines can drastically change if you move too much faster than you can truly see and mentally process.

post #16 of 27 Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Hi and welcome. A 919 is a handfull for a newbee. Take it easy, wear your gear. Even though it may not sound macho, consider a basic riding instruction class , in addition to the mc saftey course. I had some basic instruction 41 years ago and I still use the learned skills today.

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #17 of 27 Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Lovin the Vanilla Ice

When you get the course out of the way let me know. It'd be great to hit the road with another niner! Good luck, Be Safe.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

hey everyone, thx again for the replies, i finally got to ride around the hood again, very sure there is no damage to the brakes, and my short rides just help me to get some experience with the shifting, braking, throttle, downshifting, etc; but most importantly, they let me know that i really do need the safety course and/or training, that, and it seems as though most of my comfort, confidence, and skills will come through time on the bike, overall, i've only ridden about 3-4 hours and under 30 miles all in the sidestreets within 6-8 blocks of my home, have only gotten into 3rd gear 2 or 3 times, i figure i dont want to pick up any bad habits, so that's about all the riding i've felt comfortable doing, although, i am gonna have to get to the gas station soon, as the dealer didnt give me a full tank, i think, as the light has flashed me a couple times in a turn and on a hill, hahaha, either they're cheapskates, or that fuel gauge is pretty sensitive!! hope to post soon with results of my MSF course, thx again 2 evry1

post #19 of 27 Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

More fyi. As far as safety/ gear are concerned, you won't find many non-believers here.

But as far as the capabilities of that bike and the mods available ?......

Welcome to vegas, baby.

take it slow, you'll be fine

post #20 of 27 Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Out for a ride.

new rider

As a new rider, already on a big-engine bike, I'll mention something else you will probably learn on your first day at the safety class. Do not overgrip the throttle! You want to grab the throttle like a bar straight out from you so you need to bend your wrist back to apply the gas. This way, if you accidently goose the throttle and throw your weight back, you'll kill he gas and be able to regain control. If you grab the throttle by reaching over the bar so your wrist is straight when you're on the gas, if you do goose the engine and throw your weight back, you'll end up giving the bike even more gas and could go completely out of control.

post #21 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Greg

In addition to all the other great and ture comments....you will likely NOT be riding your own bike at MSF. And that's a good thing.
1. Make every mistake you ever will make at MSF on THEIR bike.
2. Keep your eyes open.
3. Fill the tank with gas.
4. Practice braking twice as much as accelerating.
5. Ignore silly #2 & #3 above and do #4 Three times.

I've been riding since 1980 and my new Hornet is kissing 600 miles. I surprised myself yesterday by not doing #4 above enough. I am not familiar enough with the bike.
I have to keep reminding myself a new bike almost equals me being a new rider.
I'm not kidding ! I have to take another MSF course just to remind myself what I've forgotten.

post #22 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Greg

Ride well and you will enjoy it more....God Bless all your rides.

post #23 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Legalize it please?

A 919 is a handfull for a nube IMHO... take it slow really slow. Wear lots of gear. All the time. A little prayer to the road gods couldn't hurt either!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #24 of 27 Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

beat it like it owes you money and you caught it in bed with your wife and mom at the same time...

just hold on tight...

post #25 of 27 Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Legalize it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
beat it like it owes you money and you caught it in bed with your wife and mom at the same time...

just hold on tight...
I think i just woke the kid up!!! Seriously though... wear your gear in your sleep just to be on the safe side... it couldn't hurt.

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #26 of 27 Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

And for your sake, have them teach you the overhand lift with the legs approach to picking the bike up. Not the underhand herniated disc approach.

post #27 of 27 Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yeah that's the one thing they didn't teach me in class was how to lift a fallen bike. There are some great videos on Youtube with deatiled steps how to lift properly.
Be sure to check them out.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode