soon-to-be 919 rider - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

soon-to-be 919 rider

Hi, figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm going to be borrowing a 919 this summer and riding it from south FL to Denver, will be there for 6 weeks then ride it back to FL. I've never owned a 919 but have been on one once. I have had several other bikes and have about 90k street miles under my belt and many years of off road riding and racing.

I'm currently going to law school in MA and will be doing a half-summer internship in Denver, hence the road trip.

the 919 is my dad's, he just bought it.

Any tips on setting it up for the trip would be great. I have soft luggage, a tank bag and a JC Whitney top box I'd like to use, so I'll be needing a rear rack of some sort (SW Motech, Givi and Renntec I've seen, any others to check out?).

I was thinking about a flyscreen, but I really don't want to cause any turbulence or wind noise. Taking some pressure off my chest would be all I'm after. My main bike has been a TL1000S and i quite liked it wind protection in stock form (very small fairing and no real turbulence at all, windshield nearly horizontal).

Here's the 919 I'll be riding

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I also have a garmin Zumo I'll be fitting. If there's a power source handy please post up, otherwise I'll just wire it to the battery (I'll have very little time to fiddle with the bike before I have to leave for denver).

post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Why is your dad giving up the 9er for the summer?

HondaJim should be chiming in with his touring tips. He is one of our long distance riders.

Welcome aboard - Enjoy the ride

post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

My dad is giving up the 919 for the summer 'cause he likes me and is cool like that

post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I rode from St. Louis to North Carolina and back last summer. Your trip is about 2x as long, but I can try to give you what advice I learned from the trip. Here's the thread from the trip, so you can see pics of my setup. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7942

For luggage, I used a tank bag, a large Ventura tail bag, and Chase Harper saddlebags. Stock seat with an Airhawk cushion. The stock seat is not suitable for long hauls, but the Airhawk was a lot easier on the wallet than an aftermarket seat. A Crampbuster throttle control was essential. For a 4000+ mile round trip, you might want to purchase some touring tires instead of performance tired. Another member here, fehren2800, has done some massive road trips on a CBR900RR, and he had a lot of success with touring tires, even in the twisty sections. Amm...if you can spend a little money, you might want to consider upgrading the stock handlebars to Renthals or something. The amount of buzz that the 919 puts out got annoying on my trip...I wish I had upgraded before my trip. I also recommend changing the front sprocket from 16t stock to 17t. This lowers the RPM a bit at a given speed, and makes it a little more comfortable for highway driving.

That's all for now, I'll try to think of more stuff...

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Oh, I also have a garmin Zumo I'll be fitting. If there's a power source handy please post up, otherwise I'll just wire it to the battery (I'll have very little time to fiddle with the bike before I have to leave for denver).

Check this thread, that is unless you already have. You may find your Zumo info living in here: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12046

post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Welcom to WT

This may help with your electrical question.
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ight=accessory

post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Welcome. Hope you have a nice trip!

post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Great info, thanks guys

I enjoyed your report cmelnick!

I agree with the tires. Its got a newish Conti sport touring tire on the back and a 1500mile-old BT014F soon the front I'll probably start by wearing those out. I'm sure they'll at least get me to Denver. I've done some sorta long distance riding before. A few summers ago I did a 3k mile trip on my TL1000S and I've done lots of day trips on it (added up to 60k miles in 2.5yrs). I ran Avon AV45/46's on it and they were great, sticky but lasted 20k miles a pair.

here's the TL after a ski trip last winter

Regarding the bars, do Renthals tend to buzz less than stockers? Anyone using ProTapers (they've been my favorite mx bar for a long time). I've used Renthals on my dirt bikes before but my street bikes have worn clip-ons for the most part. Any recommendations for a comfortable bend? I'm 5'10" 165lbs and of pretty average proportions. Is there a favorite retailer for them?

the 17T sprocket sounds like a good idea. I'll see about ordering one of them.

Any windscreens that definitely don't induce head-bobbling turbulence? I've searched around this site a lot and seems that some folks have had issues with the honda screen and the F16 screen. I didn't find anyone complaining of turbulence from the F18 screen or the Givi 755. I'm not sure I want something as big or expensive as the Givi, but open to ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode