Proud new 919 owner, and new rider - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ahung12
  • 1 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 22 Old 11-18-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Proud new 919 owner, and new rider

EDIT: Sorry Mods, please move this to the New Member Intro section if that is more appropriate. Didn't realize this entire site seems to be basically dedicated to the 919, thought it was just this sub-forum.

Technically, I am the owner of this 2004 but its not actually in my possession yet (it is being delivered next week). So I'll have to settle for dealer photos for now.

In hindsight, I'm very surprised I ended up going with the 919 since my search for my very first motorcycle began with CBR500R's and SV650's. But that search started over 2 years ago, during which time I did quite a bit of research, took a local MSF course and at least sat on a few different motorcycles. Long story short - the right SV never materialized, the CBR500R's value proposition never won me over (and neither did the pre-2016 looks), and all examples of the 300cc option I wanted were out of my price range (KTM RC 390/Duke).

So here I am, a new rider with no riding experience under my belt except for an MSF course and a 919 on the way. Lucky for me, the local economy is still in the dumps and there are plenty of big, empty parking lots near me for practicing until next Spring. And during the winter downtime, I'll likely do a flush and fill of the brakes, maybe clean up some of the dirtier bits.

For what its worth, this is what I got for gear (with no plans to ride in the rain or snow intentionally). Overall, it seems to fit well with the style of the 919.
Helmet: Shark Skwal
Jacket: This was a highly personal decision for me, but I decided a long time ago that the only time I would ever buy a leather moto jacket would be if I actually rode a motorcycle. So I splurged on a Schott 641 Steerhide. No armor but...
Shirt: Knox Venture Armored Shirt. Fits under the Schott perfectly, and while I wish the back protector was CE-2 rated, its better than nothing.
Pants: Dainese Evo 1 w/ Kit J knee/shin armor and hip armor
Boots: TCX X-Square Plus
Gloves: Rev'It Striker 2 Gloves
Only thing left are frame sliders for the moment, but I'm hesitant to drill into the frame. So I've been scouring the forums for a no-drill frame mount option, haven't seen one yet though.

One funny sidenote: The previous owner of this 919 lives a 5 minute walk from my house.
Avispao likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The 919 was my first bike as well. It's an easy bike to ride. The first thing I would do to your bike is get new tires. Those tires were crap to begin with, and now they are nearly 13 years old. Maybe flush all the fluids as well, can't hurt. After that, all you gotta do is change the oil on time, keep it full of gas and frequently CLEAN AND LUBE THE CHAIN and it will last forever. That aside, welcome to the site!
Avispao likes this.

post #3 of 22 Old 11-19-2016, 03:57 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! Congrats!

post #4 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome to the asylum. Yes the 919 is indeed lotsa first motorcycle but you seem to be approaching it conscientiously. No matter how careful you are however, any first bike WILL get dropped. See if you can find a set of engine guards from Givi or Twisted Throttle. They are preferable to sliders which can cause the 919's right front motor mount to crack. Replacement side covers are plentiful enough but you'll want to take care to protect that beautiful tank.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Yeah, you want frame mounted sliders and not engine mounted

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #6 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Optio

Garage
I was looking at that bike! Not because I'm in the market, but because I stalk 919s at dealerships lol. This one is 15 minutes from my house. I'm in Arlington Heights. Where are you located? Congrats on the purchase! Good looking specimen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 08:02 AM
McTavish

Welcome aboard !
And your bike looks mint and has every indication of being an excellent find and buy.
Repeating from others above:
Get some tires to replace the hockey pucks presently on the wheels.
Clean and properly adjust the chain and keep it lubed with appropriate lube.
If you put sliders on, do not use the engine mount type and instead use the frame mount type.
There is no frame hole that needs to be drilled.
There are perfectly located holes that just need opening up a bit to be of correct size for a metric tap to thread the hole for a bolt.
Do not use a fastener of a grade higher than 8.8.
You've got yourself a lot of bike for a beginner, but you sound to have a rationale head on your shoulders.
The right hand controls the level of play.
The course will help you lots.
Assuming you already drive a truck or car, you already know "traffic situations" and have road sense thus freeing up concentration capacity for the operation of the bike.
Get comfortable with sharp right hand turns from a dead stop, I found that the hardest thing to feel OK with when I first started out oh so many years ago.
Have fun !
Let us all know how you are making out.

post #8 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions folks. The dealer did indicate that the previous owner swapped out the tires shortly before trading it in but I didn't get a chance to inspect the production stamps. So I'm still budgeting for tires and crash protection in the Spring. Any suggestions for reputable vendors if I'm going to be shopping for maintenance items like chain lube, oil and filters, etc?

I'll see how long I can hold off the mod-bug, but I have to admit the belly-pan/wind-screen/Renthal Ultra-low 919's I've seen look very good.

Bartsitarski: I'm in Bloomingdale in fact. It's basically a straight shot up up Barrington Road for me, so if I had some more experience I likely could have just rode it home. But this is a lot more bike than the NH250's we learned on during the MSF course.

post #9 of 22 Old 11-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions folks. The dealer did indicate that the previous owner swapped out the tires shortly before trading it in but I didn't get a chance to inspect the production stamps. So I'm still budgeting for tires and crash protection in the Spring. Any suggestions for reputable vendors if I'm going to be shopping for maintenance items like chain lube, oil and filters, etc?

I'll see how long I can hold off the mod-bug, but I have to admit the belly-pan/wind-screen/Renthal Ultra-low 919's I've seen look very good.

Bartsitarski: I'm in Bloomingdale in fact. It's basically a straight shot up up Barrington Road for me, so if I had some more experience I likely could have just rode it home. But this is a lot more bike than the NH250's we learned on during the MSF course.

I have a great friend that lives in Bloomingdale. If you need help with it, or are looking at parts/mods/ swaps, we can get a beer and talk. I have done a lot to mine over the last couple years. Started as a stock 2003. Now it's a franken bike. I also have some parts for sale including windshields and a Corbin seat. I'll give you a no shipping discount. Just like other have said, great beginner bike but really easy to let the power overtake your common sense.

-Michael Jordan
post #10 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Tesserarius

ahung12:
just some words of wisdom from a 35 year rider with a few scars to prove it.
1. take it easy. just till you get the "feel" for how much power this bike really does have with it's 919cc's. really it does. if you get aggressive on the throttle or get ahead of yourself, you'll regret it cause this bike does move and quick. even with it's detuned 900rr engine...it moves and responds quickly.
2. the throttle response is pretty much telepathic. you'll know what I mean once you get more comfortable with her.
3. front wheel becomes a bit light if rolled on throttle too aggressively, so again (refer to no.1).
4. she feels lighter than she is...which is a good thing.
5. brakes work well, even if not stainless steel braided lines. they work just fine.
6. eventually get the "frame-mounted" (NOT ENGINE MOUNTED) frame sliders. (see many threads on subject).
7. I'd suggest not messing with her too much until spring. I know...it'll be hard to resist but.....cold hard tires + new rider with no moto experience = disaster.
8. refer to no.1
9. refer to no.1
10. refer to no.1

I can't stress enough on being careful with her for a bit. At least a few months.....trust me, you don't want to wreck that nice specimen before you get a chance to enjoy her.
By the way, how much did she set you back?

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #11 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Appreciate the words of advice and caution VintageHunter. Just rolled her into the garage, seeing her out in the sun and away from the other bikes that were in the shop, she definitely looks (and feels!) bigger than I recall. I'm looking forward to practicing some of the drills that we learned during the MSF course (especially as mrcromo44 mentioned the dead-stop immediate right handers which did give me trouble) because I think it'll get me a lot more comfortable with the bike, knowing where the clutch engagement is, how responsive the brakes are, etc. One new rider tip that I've read in a few places that I'll definitely be reminding myself of as I ride is to ride in as high a gear as possible given as I get used to the bike.

Total out the door was $4150, including taxes, plates, etc. Was able to double check the production stamps on the tires, 2012 for both. So older than I had thought, but still as far as I know within the useful life of the rubber. Anyone disagree with this? Tread-wise, they are like new.

On a sidenote, the dealer delivered with a pickup equipped with one of these: Motorcycle Loader

Very, very cool rig!

post #12 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Kinda looks like cheating to me

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #13 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Congrats on the new ride, these guys didn't mention that the silver ones really are the fastest so take it easy until you get used to it, they really do make speed faster than you'd think

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #14 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Tesserarius

cant see that motorcycle loader.
everytime I log onto this site....my anti-virus software says..."Threat has been detected".
Mods...anyway you guys can look into this?

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #15 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Tesserarius

here's what the "threat detected" looks like from my antivirus software?
WTF is this?

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #16 of 22 Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
YIKES, not sure what is up with that link. I can't find the edit button anymore for that post. Can a mod disable the link?

post #17 of 22 Old 11-22-2016, 07:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

link works fine for me... photo as well.

side note, you can only edit posts for a set amount of time... I think it might be 20 min or something... I'm sure one of the mods will chime in with the correct number.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #18 of 22 Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Tesserarius

well...all I can tell you is that Avast signals me every time I enter this particular thread, it signals me "threat detected".
and it's only "this" thread. it started happening once that link was posted up.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #19 of 22 Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
We're looking at polar-vortex levels of weather for the foreseeable future, and my wallet is officially empty so heated grips are out of the picture. I've begun the winterizing process and picked up the Stabil, Battery Tender, Chain Lube and stands.

Sigh.... its going to be a long winter.

Al
post #20 of 22 Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM
The Cripple

It's quite cold here already. I'm debating on whether I want to install the heated grips I obtained for cheap or suffer through the cold spell over the next 3-4 months with just my heated jacket. Decisions decisions....

post #21 of 22 Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
We're looking at polar-vortex levels of weather for the foreseeable future, and my wallet is officially empty so heated grips are out of the picture. I've begun the winterizing process and picked up the Stabil, Battery Tender, Chain Lube and stands.

Sigh.... its going to be a long winter.

Welcome to the club. Sad day for riding but good day for MODSSSSSS.

-Michael Jordan
post #22 of 22 Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
It's quite cold here already. I'm debating on whether I want to install the heated grips I obtained for cheap or suffer through the cold spell over the next 3-4 months with just my heated jacket. Decisions decisions....
I remember my first year in Tucson, it snowed like a half inch. Storm blew in over Mount Lemmon. The city literally shut down. It was the topic of the entire 10 o'clock newscast. We got 9 inches (according to the male meteorologists) this weekend and I was out driving around and running errands like the roads were dry.

-Michael Jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode