philjay - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

philjay

Thanks for the warm welcome hondajim, This is my first post anywhere ever. I'm an old (62 yrs) motorcyclist who gave up motorcycling a couple of years ago because arthritis was preventing me from getting my leg over my R100GS, but then I retired and discovered the Yamaha T Max scooter and I've put 40 odd thousand k's on the clock since then.I'll try attaching a pic but as I've never done this before anything could happen. Cheers. philjayel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T Max at Roleystone..jpg (382.9 KB, 17 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #3 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Howdy and Welcome.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand

post #4 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Welcome aboard, pull up a chair and enjoy the show

Dan
post #5 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You did great. Welcome to the site. 62 is not old. It's the new 40. Haha.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome to the site! Great first post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Scooter though ?

I must confess I was/am a little dubious about fessing up to the scooter after riding bikes for 40 odd years but it was either the scooter or nothing. No brainer but I'm still a bit embarrassed. I can't find another scooter rider anywhere on this site so hey if you are out there, you could come to my support anytime you like. PS The T Max is one hell of a motorcycle.

post #8 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Your wrong my friend many of own scoots. In fact my start was on a Zuma 50cc then a 70 something Vespa P250. i have pics of a scooter rally i went on two summers ago. lots of us love them on here.

post #9 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

T Max Man

It's only just occurred to me; Am I even allowed to comment here being a scooter rider ? I hope no-one minds. Am I allowed to just start a thread about anything I like, scooters for instance? Seriously, I've never done this posting online thing before and I don't know the protocols. PS How do I start a new thread?

post #10 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Lol post about anything you want! It is a way to communicate about a passion of your with other like minded people. Go to the forum subject you want to talk about and on the upper left of the page will be a button that says New Thread click on it and walla you started a New topic!

post #11 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Lol post about anything you want! It is a way to communicate about a passion of your with other like minded people. Go to the forum subject you want to talk about and on the upper left of the page will be a button that says New Thread click on it and walla you started a New topic!

Thanks I'll give it a try.

post #12 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Phil...Congrats on continuing your 2 wheeled life. Anything with 2 wheels!

post #13 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Cornicen

Gday philjay! What displacement is that scoot? Smaller scooters are quite popular here in the philippines, but these maxiscoots have thier fans too. Even seen a couple in our local twisties. Big 400cc engines in a laid back scooter chassis.

post #14 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
chevy5seven

Hello and welcome.

I said, "I ride A naked, not naked!"
post #15 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Welcome. I'm glad you figured out a way to stay on 2 wheels!

post #16 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome Phil,

As far as I'm concerned, it's still all about two-wheelin for the feelin'. There's plenty of relevance here for a scoot rider to comment on whatever you feel like commenting on! It may just add an interesting perpsective to the discussions...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #17 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda ng gingsa View Post
Gday philjay! What displacement is that scoot? Smaller scooters are quite popular here in the philippines, but these maxiscoots have thier fans too. Even seen a couple in our local twisties. Big 400cc engines in a laid back scooter chassis.
My T Max is an early model (2001) has a twincam,twincarb. 2 cylinder 500cc engine with 44hp so it's got quite a bit of power. Later models have gone to fuel injection and engine management so they are probably more powerful. Personally I prefer the low tech carbs and no computers but each to there own.

post #18 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjayel View Post
Personally I prefer the low tech carbs and no computers but each to there own.
i used to think the same as you, but after several hundred hours of modding carbs and air intakes on my vlx to no avail and switching to the 919 (first FI bike i ever owned), i'll never look back!

welcome to the forum btw! you'll love it here. just dont get too close to googl3 and you'll do well. i hope to continue riding 2 wheels til i get put into the ground!

post #19 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i used to think the same as you, but after several hundred hours of modding carbs and air intakes on my vlx to no avail and switching to the 919 (first FI bike i ever owned), i'll never go back!
Agreed. Again many hours working on old 67 Norton and 81 Kawasaki carbs Ill never go back!!! FI all the way!!

post #20 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Batman

Same here, carbs are good for a few things...altitude changes and less maintenance they are not. Even though i will forever be glad I started out on them for knowledge, I'm forever grateful for fi at the same time.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #21 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
i used to think the same as you, but after several hundred hours of modding carbs and air intakes on my vlx to no avail and switching to the 919 (first FI bike i ever owned), i'll never look back!

welcome to the forum btw! you'll love it here. just dont get too close to googl3 and you'll do well. i hope to continue riding 2 wheels til i get put into the ground!
Thanks, I agree that carbs are a pain in the arse to modify, much trial and error with jet sizes even if you just want to change the exhaust system. But I'm old school,started an apprenticeship as a car mechanic in 1964 so I cut my teeth on carbies. On the other hand, if you don't want to modify them, there's not much to go wrong. I'm a long time believer in the KISS principal.

post #22 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Thanks, I agree that carbs are a pain in the arse to modify, much trial and error with jet sizes even if you just want to change the exhaust system. But I'm old school,started an apprenticeship as a car mechanic in 1964 so I cut my teeth on carbies. On the other hand, if you don't want to modify them, there's not much to go wrong. I'm a long time believer in the KISS principal.
yeah i'm the same with you on both accounts. one reason why i refuse to work on newer cars now when it's anything engine related. just cant do it anymore. tearing apart the entire upper end of a motor just to change a silly timing belt? no thank you! if it was the water pump, god forbid!

while i appreciate the simplicity of carbs, i'm not able to leave anything stock for long (my former 2000 oldsmobile alero was the exception to the norm lol). while i dont mind changing out jets and what not, i get seriously aggravated if i cannot get a bike to run at a happy medium throughout all the ranges. my vlx has that problem. if i put pods on bike i could get it jetted for higher end rpms and decent midrange, but the pilots would just be wrong no matter what i did (even shimmed the shit out of things beyond what factory kits could give me). on the other hand if i did ram air intakes it was the opposite. that bike just likes to be plain ol stock, period.

thankfully someone figured out a trick on how to stick pods on them taking some extreme measures, ones i'm not willing to take, at least not right now lol.

post #23 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
yeah i'm the same with you on both accounts. one reason why i refuse to work on newer cars now when it's anything engine related. just cant do it anymore. tearing apart the entire upper end of a motor just to change a silly timing belt? no thank you! if it was the water pump, god forbid!

while i appreciate the simplicity of carbs, i'm not able to leave anything stock for long (my former 2000 oldsmobile alero was the exception to the norm lol). while i dont mind changing out jets and what not, i get seriously aggravated if i cannot get a bike to run at a happy medium throughout all the ranges. my vlx has that problem. if i put pods on bike i could get it jetted for higher end rpms and decent midrange, but the pilots would just be wrong no matter what i did (even shimmed the shit out of things beyond what factory kits could give me). on the other hand if i did ram air intakes it was the opposite. that bike just likes to be plain ol stock, period.

thankfully someone figured out a trick on how to stick pods on them taking some extreme measures, ones i'm not willing to take, at least not right now lol.
Hi Pvster, I've reread your post a couple of times and I can't figure out what pods are. Help me out buddy. Cheers philjay

post #24 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

PV means pod air filters individual to each carb, instead of an airbox with a single air filter...

like this:

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #25 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Hi Pvster, I've reread your post a couple of times and I can't figure out what pods are. Help me out buddy. Cheers philjay
my apologies for not being clear. the shadow nailed it. they are individual pods that go over each take of the carb. so if you had 4 carbs, that meant 4 individual pods. the 89 vlx i have is dual carbed and the honda engineers designed the airbox so it would smooth out the air turbulence and remove resonant frequencies before the air entered the carbs. any deviation from the stock air intake resulted in massive headaches while attempting to fine tune the fueling across the range.

post #26 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Pierre-Marc

welcome Philjayel...
I say to each his own...after all aren't we all just bikers.
That's why I can never understand some of the Harley
riders you meet on the road that think they are too good
to wave.

post #27 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
my apologies for not being clear. the shadow nailed it. they are individual pods that go over each take of the carb. so if you had 4 carbs, that meant 4 individual pods. the 89 vlx i have is dual carbed and the honda engineers designed the airbox so it would smooth out the air turbulence and remove resonant frequencies before the air entered the carbs. any deviation from the stock air intake resulted in massive headaches while attempting to fine tune the fueling across the range.
Ah I see. Thanks guys.

post #28 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx463 View Post
welcome Philjayel...
I say to each his own...after all aren't we all just bikers.
That's why I can never understand some of the Harley
riders you meet on the road that think they are too good
to wave.
Thanks, I couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode