Newbie - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Hello everyone,

I am finally on two wheels again. It has been 7 years. This time I have a license and have taken the MSF course. It was forced upon me. I am in the navy and it is a base requirement before you can ride onbase. The course was surprisingly fun. I recommend it to every new rider. Especially if you've never driven anything that has a clutch. Driven manual all my life and it still helped out. Feel free to ask questions. Let me know if I left anything out. Lates.

darkace625 a.k.a Dingy

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Okay. Here is a question from Capt Obvious. How do you get the pic on the left side of the post? deh deh deh

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

post #3 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Guess I hit the nail right on the head in your other thread when I said "welcome aboard...":boat: Go Navy!!! I'm a ex-swabby from the dark ages, USS The Sullivan's DD537.
Enjoy your 919, ride safe.

post #4 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Okay. Here is a question from Capt Obvious. How do you get the pic on the left side of the post? deh deh deh
Are you refering to the avatar like my dark side of the moon pic.?

post #5 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome aboard matey.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Are you refering to the avatar like my dark side of the moon pic.?
Yep. The avatar was it. You might dislike me for this, but I am a squadron sailor. VFA-154.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #7 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You might dislike me for this, but I am a squadron sailor. VFA-154.
Naah... Anyone in the military has my total respect.

post #8 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Guess ...I'm a ex-swabby from the dark ages, USS The Sullivan's DD537...
Did the Sullivan have oars or had it progressed to a paddle wheel?:sailor:

darkace, welcome and it's great that you took the MSF course. I also believe it should be a requirement.

post #9 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM

Welcome darkace!

post #10 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Welcome!

post #11 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Welcome aboard Darkace, don't mind anyone here....ever seen one flew over the cuckcoo's nest? Well if so you get the picture.

post #12 of 58 Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 PM

Awards Showcase
Law Enforcement 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome to the site........

post #13 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Welcome aboard Darkace, don't mind anyone here....ever seen one flew over the cuckcoo's nest? Well if so you get the picture.
Yes. That was a good movie. Has anyone taken the roll of the big indian guy? Can't remember his name. It has been about 6 years since I have seen that movie.

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #14 of 58 Old 08-28-2006, 09:56 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

welcome!!
I had taken the MSF course about 10 yrs ago, I agree it is a very good learning tool!

Ride safe!

post #15 of 58 Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome to the fun. Another ex-Navy here. I was a fleet sailor on the USS Curts FFG-38.

post #16 of 58 Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Hello and Welcome. I took the MSF course before I got my bike and I recommend it too.

post #17 of 58 Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

"oars"...hahaha lol.

Welcome and enjoy.

post #18 of 58 Old 09-02-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Hi everybody. Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry for the lack of replies. I moved and it took ATT almost a week to change my internet over. They were quick to shut it down at my old place though. I can't even get on this site during my down time at work. They have blocked a lot of sites.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #19 of 58 Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Naah... Anyone in the military has my total respect.
+1 on that!

Welcome aboard, Dingy!

post #20 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Well, I have spent the last couple of days reading through old threads. Makes feel like a senior going to a new high school several states away. Not really, just a new member still. Wish I could have been around for MR.

Kinda seems like I am getting ready to jump into a pool filled with a bunch of guys and a few women who all have something in common, the love for two wheels. All I have to say, MAKE ROOM BY THE WOMEN!¿

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #21 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Nice avatar! Which carrier is that?

post #22 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Bad question Mike. He's an airedale, all he sees is the plane thingy in the foreground.

post #23 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
That's nacho cheese!

Slick Avatar, dingy!

"Hey Pippin! Charlie Crawford ain't with ya anymore!"
Billy the Kid
post #24 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hello!!!

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #25 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome Aboard Sailor! And CHECK SIX ALWAYS!

Man... that pic takes me back. I have friends who were with VF-1 and VF-2 Bounty Hunters before getting de-commissioned.

So.. did you transition from the Turkey as well? Funny, you talked about clutch vs. clutch, it almost sounded like going from Fly-by-Cable to a Fly-By-Wire bird.

So... you are based in Leemore, I wonder if my buddy Coach is still there, he is also a Hornet driver. I am guessing that the carrier might be the Carl Vinson?

Welcome again man and be safe out there!

WIM.

post #26 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nice avatar! Which carrier is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Bad question Mike. He's an airedale, all he sees is the plane thingy in the foreground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
Slick Avatar, dingy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Welcome Aboard Sailor! And CHECK SIX ALWAYS!

Man... that pic takes me back. I have friends who were with VF-1 and VF-2 Bounty Hunters before getting de-commissioned.

So.. did you transition from the Turkey as well? Funny, you talked about clutch vs. clutch, it almost sounded like going from Fly-by-Cable to a Fly-By-Wire bird.

So... you are based in Leemore, I wonder if my buddy Coach is still there, he is also a Hornet driver. I am guessing that the carrier might be the Carl Vinson?

Welcome again man and be safe out there!

WIM.
Just to make sure. I am a tech, not a pilot. Hopefully someday though.

Here are the answers. m, that was a pic from the good old days when my squadron had 14A's and were on the good ol' ****ty Kitty. They had "BATTLECAT" spray painted on the sides of the cats.

RR, I may be an airdale, but I love the hectic pace on the boat. Plus it is great seeing O's get blown over when they are not paying attention. Well, it is great seeing them summersult backwards as long as someone stops them from going over (well most that is).

Thanks Bigdaa.

WIM, thanks, and don't forget to try and avoid going high and right. I have picks from the Connie's last voyage with VF-2 birds on the deck. We did a nice side by side and told them to get their arses out of the gulf. It was our turn for the watch. My squadron didn't go on the Vinson until we got the Super FAGs. Sorry typo; meant Super Hornets that aren't so super. Aw shucks. Did it again. Neh. Too lazy to reach the backspace key. It is way up there. We just changed boats again to. The food seems better on this one. I do have to say the fly-by-wire save me from carrying a heavy burden. Kinda left a tool in a panel. Long story. I am just glad it happened when it did and not a year prior. Gimmie some info on Coach and I'll see if I can look him up. If that is ok. Always looking for a riding partner. Someone other than my ex. Course, I have to get my bike fixed first.

I have plenty of pics. Let me know if anyone wants some.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #27 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Just to make sure. I am a tech, not a pilot. Hopefully someday though.

Here are the answers. m, that was a pic from the good old days when my squadron had 14A's and were on the good ol' ****ty Kitty. They had "BATTLECAT" spray painted on the sides of the cats.

RR, I may be an airdale, but I love the hectic pace on the boat. Plus it is great seeing O's get blown over when they are not paying attention. Well, it is great seeing them summersult backwards as long as someone stops them from going over (well most that is).

Thanks Bigdaa.

WIM, thanks, and don't forget to try and avoid going high and right. I have picks from the Connie's last voyage with VF-2 birds on the deck. We did a nice side by side and told them to get their arses out of the gulf. It was our turn for the watch. My squadron didn't go on the Vinson until we got the Super FAGs. Sorry typo; meant Super Hornets that aren't so super. Aw shucks. Did it again. Neh. Too lazy to reach the backspace key. It is way up there. We just changed boats again to. The food seems better on this one. I do have to say the fly-by-wire save me from carrying a heavy burden. Kinda left a tool in a panel. Long story. I am just glad it happened when it did and not a year prior. Gimmie some info on Coach and I'll see if I can look him up. If that is ok. Always looking for a riding partner. Someone other than my ex. Course, I have to get my bike fixed first.

I have plenty of pics. Let me know if anyone wants some.

Not to worry mate - keep at it, and you will make Driver one day soon. You are already on the right track. At least you won't have to crunch into an A4, pray the Buckeye don't keel over and die on you... the friggin F14-A's ?!?! Whoa! Did the Navy Brass not like you guys? VF-2 were on the D model years ago. The A's were a tad underpowered and took muscle to move them birds around... whoo!

I know what you mean about the Hornets though.... I am sure gonna miss the F-14's when they are gone. It's not cause of Top Gun, the darn things were just birds that you flew. I meet an Eagle pilot once who told me horror stories of how they had to learn to "gently" push on the sticks because the 'puter may not like them doing a hard over push. I will see what I got on Coach.... been a little while, he was an all round good guy. VF2 also had some guy named with call sign "Beef", if you ever met him, you would know...

Anyway... feel free to post pics anytime. And no matter what you do on deck or elsewhere, friggin boats can be death traps... stay safe man! Good luck with your Avaitor program and I look forward to TRULY saying Check Six!

post #28 of 58 Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Nice reply Dingy. I'm just givin' ya **** because i was a fleet sailor. Being on a Frigate that is out to sea for 9 months out of the year w/ 220 souls on board can be hectic to say the least. Nothing compared to the flight deck during touch and go's, but we had our own air-det that was two SH-60 helo's and their baggage (sp. crews) I was a SAR swimmer for a short stint until I got out, and I hated seeing dumb arses get blown over, cuz' my silly ass had to jump in after them. Welcome aboard, and you'll have a safe haven here from all the daily goings on in the squadron.

post #29 of 58 Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

WIM-Yeah, the A's needed AB everytime they took off, but they were still a serious competitor in the skyes. Even with grav fed engines. They were old, but the were the best 14's in the fleet. I wouldn't say the brass hated us. We were the only crazy bunch that would fix em and fly em. Yeah, miss those days.

VFA-2 is in the same hangar as my squadron, just the opposite end. That was another thing that sucked about transitioning. We have to share a hangar with not one, but three other squadrons. Neh, oh well. Such is life. I will ask around. See if Beef is still there. I am sure my aircrew will know. Every time I hear Eagle pilot I switch out Eagle for Ego. Those are some serious birds. Thanks, and I will be sure to keep my head on a swivel when I am on the Roof.

RR- Oh. On a small boy. How was it having to "buckle up" when you went to sleep. haha Those boats are seriously cramped. I am sure you hated having to rescue stupid people, but I am sure there were some funny ones. There had to be a guy screamming, "Help. I'm drowning!" while he is panicing in his inflated float coat. Here is a pic you must have seen beein a SAR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shark.jpg (26.8 KB, 19 views)

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #30 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 08:45 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
WIM-Yeah, the A's needed AB everytime they took off, but they were still a serious competitor in the skyes. Even with grav fed engines. They were old, but the were the best 14's in the fleet. I wouldn't say the brass hated us. We were the only crazy bunch that would fix em and fly em. Yeah, miss those days.

VFA-2 is in the same hangar as my squadron, just the opposite end. That was another thing that sucked about transitioning. We have to share a hangar with not one, but three other squadrons. Neh, oh well. Such is life. I will ask around. See if Beef is still there. I am sure my aircrew will know. Every time I hear Eagle pilot I switch out Eagle for Ego. Those are some serious birds. Thanks, and I will be sure to keep my head on a swivel when I am on the Roof.

RR- Oh. On a small boy. How was it having to "buckle up" when you went to sleep. haha Those boats are seriously cramped. I am sure you hated having to rescue stupid people, but I am sure there were some funny ones. There had to be a guy screamming, "Help. I'm drowning!" while he is panicing in his inflated float coat. Here is a pic you must have seen beein a SAR.

Hey Man! You getting me all excited when you talk about the Turkeys / Tomcats! I love those things. They truly were last of a dying breed of true airplanes. For anyone wondering about Grav.Fed (I just can't resist), it means the fuel was fed to the engines by gravity, in other no real fuel pumps, etc. So... if the bird went into Neg-G, or dive straight down, or was under sustained inverted flight without positive G to compensate - her engines would starve. Also, the Tomcats were pretty heavy planes and you had better be running your afterburners on take off... or say bye bye! There was a guy who actually lost AB at take off at Miramar - not pretty!

If you run into the guys at VF-2, there's Jumba - he's a RIO, his driver used to be Ghetto. And Beef... well... like I said... you will know if you ever run into the guy. A real funny story here... and advance apologies to AF guys.... or Ego Pilots. One day at Mirimar, an Eagle came in. Of course he announced himself and all that and came into the pattern. He came straight in - downwind with the runway. He is headed West right, and he just keeps going right past the field. Before you know it, the guy is over the Ocean, so tower calls him to ask where the hell does he think he is going. He is response is he was waiting for the tower to call his turns in the pattern... Apparently, in the AF, they call the patterns / turns for the guys! At least, that is what all were led to believe.

By the way, I hear that picture was real!

post #31 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Never saw the shark But I had plenty of run-ins with sea snakes and porpoises (flipper to the uneducated). My worst fear was the person in the water. They would be so freaked out that I would ahve to tread water for a few minutes until they tired themselves out from all the thrashing around. No way was I going in with their arms flailing. First thing we were taught in school was "do not let the victim grab you, or you will be pulled down with them"

post #32 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 AM
That's nacho cheese!

Wowwwwwwwww! You dudes be off, man!!!!!!!

"Hey Pippin! Charlie Crawford ain't with ya anymore!"
Billy the Kid
post #33 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Never saw the shark But I had plenty of run-ins with sea snakes and porpoises (flipper to the uneducated). My worst fear was the person in the water. They would be so freaked out that I would ahve to tread water for a few minutes until they tired themselves out from all the thrashing around. No way was I going in with their arms flailing. First thing we were taught in school was "do not let the victim grab you, or you will be pulled down with them"
Dude... swimming with sea snakes ?!?! That is worthy of hazard pay. Those things bite you and you will saying Crikey with Steve Irwin! Darn things are super venomous.

post #34 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 11:58 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
By the way, I hear that picture was real!

The pic is not real:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/shark.asp

post #35 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja View Post
WELL! Thanks for ruining it for me little one!

I argue that in a way, it is real.... it is the combination to two real photo... so there!

post #36 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I argue that in a way, it is real.... it is the combination to two real photo... so there!

I second that if said "fake photo" is made with multiple real photos, said "fake photo" is now a bonified "REAL photo". All in favor say whatever you want to.

The little one always think they are so smart. At least we got our fun back.

2005 Honda 919
PGR #120827

post #37 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 06:43 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:

i sowwy! Every time some one at work e-mails me some thing i reply with a snopes link. hee hee its just habit.

post #38 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 06:45 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I second that if said "fake photo" is made with multiple real photos, said "fake photo" is now a bonified "REAL photo". All in favor say whatever you want to.

The little one always think they are so smart. At least we got our fun back.
and you "Mr. 36 posts" better watch your back! I will hunt you down!

post #39 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja View Post
and you "Mr. 36 posts" better watch your back! I will hunt you down!
Ummmm....... just be warned, he has the Phoenix long ranger to blow you up! And I cannot disclose the real range.... but be afraid.... be very afraid....

post #40 of 58 Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ummmm....... just be warned, he has the Phoenix long ranger to blow you up! And I cannot disclose the real range.... but be afraid.... be very afraid....
I am not afraid!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode