New NJ Member - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New NJ Member

Hello all!

I dig naked bikes and will be taking my Moto Safety Course in a couple weeks so I can't wait to get riding.

I was introduced to the Hornet when reading "How to Ride a Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development". So I was all set to get either a Hornet or a SV. I have loved Honda cars for years so I would love to get a Hornet.

I also drive past one every night on my way home. It is a 919 and I feel horrible passing it. It never moves and earlier this winter it finally got a cover (which is falling apart).

So now I am searching for a 599 to be my first set of wheels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome 240. Hornets are great bikes. Good luck on your search.

post #3 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Hastatus Prior

Welcome man. Good bike choice for sure, I started on the 599 and it's an excellent ride to start on. It's forgiving for a new rider if you stay outta the higher rpm's for a while and you want grow out of it like a 250.

I now ride a 919 and the power upgrade is nice, but I loved how light the 599 felt. I think you'd be happy with either bike, the power comes on really early with the 9er, and is heavier which can be a little intimidating for a new rider, but if you're careful and smart you'll get used to it. The 599 is a much better starting point though.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

post #4 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Welcome there Garden Stater. We have an active crew here in NJ. In fact we just had our "Spring Shakedown Ride" today. Check in over here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tup-25060.html

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Welcome 240. Hornets are great bikes. Good luck on your search.
Thank you! I dig Hondas so going from their autos to a motorcycle will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Welcome man. Good bike choice for sure, I started on the 599 and it's an excellent ride to start on. It's forgiving for a new rider if you stay outta the higher rpm's for a while and you want grow out of it like a 250.

I now ride a 919 and the power upgrade is nice, but I loved how light the 599 felt. I think you'd be happy with either bike, the power comes on really early with the 9er, and is heavier which can be a little intimidating for a new rider, but if you're careful and smart you'll get used to it. The 599 is a much better starting point though.
I haven't sat on one but how do you think a 6' tall 220lbs rider would do with the 599 or 919?

I was sitting on and feeling out the Triumph Street Triple but it is a bit pricey and a bit daunting going for a new bike for my first bike.

I am totally flat footed when sitting on that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Welcome there Garden Stater. We have an active crew here in NJ. In fact we just had our "Spring Shakedown Ride" today. Check in over here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tup-25060.html

Doc
That is great to hear! I don't have many guys to ride with out here so my group of friends would dig having more guys to ride with.

post #6 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! Your size will fit a 919 perfectly, I'm sure the 599 is similar. As Doc said above, keep your eye on that thread.

post #7 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks!

I added a subscription to that thread so I will join you all when I am confident in my riding.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

post #8 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Fan View Post
Thanks!

I added a subscription to that thread so I will join you all when I am confident in my riding.

my 2c, wait until you complete MSF and get your license, don't purchase the bike just yet. Hope MSF class you are taking provides bikes

post #9 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Fan
I haven't sat on one but how do you think a 6' tall 220lbs rider would do with the 599 or 919?
I'm 6'5" & 225 and my 919 fits perfect. I'll have the girl grab a shot of me on the bike later today.

post #10 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

You've never thought of going and making an offer on that 919, seeing if maybe they'd be willing to sell?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #11 of 42 Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
You've never thought of going and making an offer on that 919, seeing if maybe they'd be willing to sell?
+1 It can't hurt to ask...

post #12 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I don't know what I would have to do to it. It has sat out in the snow and rain for a long while now. You can see the street sweeper marks around it.

The bike is just sitting there rotting.

post #13 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I don't know what I would have to do to it. It has sat out in the snow and rain for a long while now. You can see the street sweeper marks around it.

Another reason to offer next to nothing for it and replace/powdercoat/paint anything rusting on it.

As long as the engine is fine, which nothing that a little Seafoam can't clean up a little if it's been varnished, you're good to go.

Seriously, offer $1500-$2000 for the 'hunk of junk' and put $2k into it to make it a completely restored machine and you'll have a heck of a time (as in fun) doing it, too. Probably won't even have to put that much into it.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I will keep this in mind. I am tracking leads down now so it wouldn't hurt to have another possible deal.

post #15 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:

I would let it be unless it's reeeeaaaaly cheap.
There are plenty of 919s which were garage kept and still are very reasonably priced? Where in NJ are you?

post #16 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I am in Old Bridge and yeah there are some great deals out there. A lot of them are getting scooped up as I watch.

There was a beautiful 919 in Uranium Green that is no longer on CL. Out of my range but it is a color I would love to end up with.

post #17 of 42 Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I am in Old Bridge and yeah there are some great deals out there. A lot of them are getting scooped up as I watch.

There was a beautiful 919 in Uranium Green that is no longer on CL. Out of my range but it is a color I would love to end up with.
yeah, it's definitely the wrong time to buy. you will find something though. Where are you taking your MSF? I know someone who gives classes at Englishtown race track, not far from you. They got everything from cruisers to GSXRs to practice on. Also it's pretty cool location for the class - a racetrack

post #18 of 42 Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
yeah, it's definitely the wrong time to buy. you will find something though. Where are you taking your MSF? I know someone who gives classes at Englishtown race track, not far from you. They got everything from cruisers to GSXRs to practice on. Also it's pretty cool location for the class - a racetrack
I lucked out finding a bike on honda599.com/CL. So I am the proud owner of a yellow 04 599.

I am going to be taking the MSF in Piscataway.

I got gloves and a helmet so I could use my own for the class. They are supplying the bikes.

I am also going to keep my eyes open for some additional courses after I have some seat time.

post #19 of 42 Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the 599. Going through the course is the first step. The riding part is held on a closed course under controlled conditions; then, you will need some street experience. The more you ride, the more different motorcycles you ride, and the more people you ride with will make your conversion from a rookie to a safe, confident, and skilled rider. You need to be an "Eternal Student of the Game."

I assume you have a validated learners permit in hand?

Doc

post #20 of 42 Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

You are 110% right with the student for life. I still enjoy taking auto courses from time to time. A week long class with the rally team at Team O'Neil.

I do not have a permit.

Home

"Effective September 26, 2011, students who possess a valid driver license WILL NO LONGER be required to have a motorcycle permit in order to take the Basic RiderCourse (BRC). A law knowledge test waiver, in addition to the road test waiver, will be issued by the NJ MVC to those NJ Residents who successfully complete the BRC."

I have read thru the book and will be doing so again this week as the class comes up. I'm also finishing the MSF book as well.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Excellent!

post #22 of 42 Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I started riding last night. Nothing big. Just clutch engagement and slow rolling u turns. I can see the draw to motorcycling.

First was the feeling of the bike the following of lines and monitoring the ground conditions.

Second was when my buddy followed me to watch me so he could give advice. I can see group riding be a great deal of fun.

post #23 of 42 Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Former 919er

If more new riders took a cautious, progressive and thoughtful approach to learning how to ride there would be a lot fewer mishaps. Be safe and have fun!

post #24 of 42 Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
If more new riders took a cautious, progressive and thoughtful approach to learning how to ride there would be a lot fewer mishaps. Be safe and have fun!
+1!!! And don't be hurt (pride) when you lay the bike down (you will). Get some frame sliders if you don't already have them, it will help your wallet a bit.

The more you are aware of the road, the more you are aware of what you DON'T know, the more others will want to have you as a riding buddy. KNOW your limitations and have respect for them, and your throttle.

Reverse that, and sayonara!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #25 of 42 Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
KNOW your limitations and have respect for them, and your throttle.
+1! This is the key to safe riding, don't try to push yourself if you fall behind the pack, it's not worth the consequences.

post #26 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
Thank you! I am having a good time even when things go wrong.

Quote:
+1!!! And don't be hurt (pride) when you lay the bike down (you will). Get some frame sliders if you don't already have them, it will help your wallet a bit.

The more you are aware of the road, the more you are aware of what you DON'T know, the more others will want to have you as a riding buddy. KNOW your limitations and have respect for them, and your throttle.

Reverse that, and sayonara!
My pride is in tact after laying the bike down once the first time I was practicing and another time last night. Both at what could be called walking speed while trying to make very tight turns.

First gear feathering the clutch and trying to keep the bike going. No biggy. Just a scrapped handlebar end and either cover has a small scratch.

The first time by buddy was there to help me lift it up. Second time I was solo and it was pretty easy.

Both times the bike stalled (I was going to slow).

There is also some dirt and rock on my little dead end so I went over it to see what it would feel like for the rear to loose traction for a second. It was cool. Rear lifted while still applying slight throttle. Freespun the rock and caught grip again. Not something I would want to do mid turn when the contact patch would be smaller and throw in weight shift.

All learning experiences.

I am also trying to cut these turns pretty damn tight. Regular uturns with some space are cool. I need more room to do figure 8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1! This is the key to safe riding, don't try to push yourself if you fall behind the pack, it's not worth the consequences.
Yeah we have done the same for years with our cars. We ride in 20 car packs lead car, anchor the whole nine. I think it will be the same with the bikes.

I did notice two riders doing the 45 stagger yesturday on my way home. Lead bike was in the drivers side wheel rut ahead of the second rider who was in the passenger side wheel rut. Pretty cool.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 AM
`

Awards Showcase

if bike stalls, you need to learn where its friction zone is. Forget figure 8s and u turns, practice friction zone (go-stop-go). If needed 1st gear, feet on the ground for stability. Once you lean that, practice, go (feet up) stop (feet down) until you feel comfortable with the bike and it doesn't stall at the take off or when stopping.

be safe

Also leave those staggered side by side rides for harleys.
Believe it or not, the bigger the group is, the more boring your ride will be.
Best group 3-5, everyone gives plenty of room to each other when needed for maximum fun

post #28 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

The key to tight u-turns is to:

Look where you want to go and don't look down.

Turn your head almost over your inside shoulder(like looking behind you)..

Use your rear brake as a slow speed control.

Learn where the "friction zone" of the clutch is.

Keep your revs up just a bit to avoid stalling the motor.

Stay off the front brake until you complete the turn and are more vertical.

Tight turns(figure eights) are the most difficult exercise for the beginner.

Just my 2 cents

Doc

post #29 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
if bike stalls, you need to learn where its friction zone is. Forget figure 8s and u turns, practice friction zone (go-stop-go). If needed 1st gear, feet on the ground for stability. Once you lean that, practice, go (feet up) stop (feet down) until you feel comfortable with the bike and it doesn't stall at the take off or when stopping.

be safe

Also leave those staggered side by side rides for harleys.
Believe it or not, the bigger the group is, the more boring your ride will be.
Best group 3-5, everyone gives plenty of room to each other when needed for maximum fun
Yeah both times when I dropped the bike I was doing the turn in second gear. First had just enough more grunt at idle to do the tighter turn.

Right now I am most comfortable doing the turns in first.

You make a point with the larger groups. That is when you have to wait for every guy that gets stuck at red lights.

Quote:
The key to tight u-turns is to:

Look where you want to go and don't look down.

Turn your head almost over your inside shoulder(like looking behind you)..

Use your rear brake as a slow speed control.

Learn where the "friction zone" of the clutch is.

Keep your revs up just a bit to avoid stalling the motor.

Stay off the front brake until you complete the turn and are more vertical.

Tight turns(figure eights) are the most difficult exercise for the beginner.

Just my 2 cents

Doc
I didn't think of using the rear brake for the smaller turns. I will try that. It will also keep my foot on the peg.

I can say that I do look ahead on turns but when doing the uturn I am trying to pay attention to the curb, dirt in the curb or the water in the curb.

This is just like learning to drive stick for the first time. You have to find out where the motor likes to be (rpms) and how forgiving it will be when you are off the throttle.

Funny thing, I got into my truck today and my left foot looked for a clutch pedal when I parked it. Old manual shift habits are coming back lol.

post #30 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Practice friction zone. Once it becomes second nature, go to figure 8 and so on. Get familiar with controls and then go to technique .

post #31 of 42 Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool I will do that as well. I ordered the givi engine guard and oes frame sliders. Can't wait to pop them on.

post #32 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I have been riding and enjoying the motorcycle.

Friday was my first time on the highway. First time over bridges. First time in a city (Brooklyn NYC) and first time in bumper to bumper traffic.

All in all it was a good ride. The pointer I got was to not huge the line so tight when on the highway (I was trying to keep out of the ruts the 18wheelers and garbage trucks make).

Sunday rode the bike to work (another first). Expected the worst and got it when coming out of the tollbooth. Lady cut me off good but I was prepped for it.

Also got to do some spirited riding and found that my rear tire is done for. So I am going to swap both tires out for a new set.

I came to this conclusion when I was in the rev range and gear I wanted to pull out of a tight left hander. As I passed thru the turn and got back on the throttle the rear started to step out on me. It didn't squat and go. My lean was correct as was my line.

It did the same on the next set of turns. I asked my buddy if I was going nuts and not noticing dirt on the road. He asked to check the rear tire and we found it was in need of replacement.

I approuched the next set of turns in a higher gear and found that my entry was a little too hot. Learned to ride it out by leaning in harder and powering out.

Having a great time and continuing to pay attention to make mental notes of mistakes and feedback from the bike.

post #33 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
`

Awards Showcase

you are doing it wrong. Go NW to ride/practice, not NE.

post #34 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
you are doing it wrong. Go NW to ride/practice, not NE.
+1, you'll have to join us for the next ride!

post #35 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1, you'll have to join us for the next ride!
Absolutely!

post #36 of 42 Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Absolutely!
speaking of riding............. NJ/NY/PA thread didn't see much light lately. Just saying

post #37 of 42 Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I am down to ride wherever the road will take me. I have a lot to juggle with work, family and home. But if there is a sliver of time and good weather I will be on the motorcycle.

I will be riding with whoever I can find this Saturday afternoon thru the night.

post #38 of 42 Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase

Quote:
speaking of riding............. NJ/NY/PA thread didn't see much light lately. Just saying
I'm out for the next three weekends. Perhaps 6/3/12?

Doc

post #39 of 42 Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bike is at the shop getting tires. I hope to get it back tomorrow afternoon.

I am down for a ride on the 6th. Have any of you guys joined meetup.com? My buddy has done some rides with locals.

post #40 of 42 Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Bike is sadly gone and I am bruised, KOed and broken. Car hit me. I was in the right.

Bike will probably be totaled out.

Pics and stuff when this is all sorted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode