New Member working on a 919 basketcase - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Polterguist
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

New Member working on a 919 basketcase

Hello Everyone! Just joined the forum. I figure I would say hi and give y'all a brief intro. I live in southern Pa. and after not owning a motorcycle in about 4 years I had the itch to get back to some serious riding again. Previous bikes include a Yamaha Seca II, Honda Shadow 750, Kawi Ninja 600, and Harley Sportster 1200.
I just bought a 03Honda 919 that needs some love. The bike is not currently running, power to everything but fuel pump won't prime. I used this forum and Robtharalson post on trouble shooting I was able to determine that the fuel pump itself was bad. I haven't bought a replacement pump assembly yet, just deciding on whether to buy used or a new one. Previous owner said that it had sat for a year but I think it could have been longer considering the dust and rust collected on certain parts of the bike, Plus the bike was knocked over on the right side which broke a few things but nothing too major. Now for the list of things that need replacing.
Chain and sprockets, Chain guard, Tires and break pads (since the wheels are coming off might as well replace wheel bearings),new front fork seals, new front brake lever, Air box (because in the tip over it cracked the box to where I cannot fit the side cover for the battery) and add LED lights for the license plate because of tail tidy.
The bike will also need some body work as well. Tank has a dent on right side, paint is faded and scratched on all plastics. However that can wait until after I get it road worthy.
I might even make a youtube series of the rebuild.... time and patience permitting
Looking forward to hearing from everyone and stay safe.
grgmini likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Pic

Sorry. Where are my manners. Here a pic. It the one that was on the CL listing but Ill upload new ones in a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0770 (1).PNG (186.6 KB, 31 views)

post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Left of Centre

Good luck, hope you get it running and the whole project turns out for you!

post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Tesserarius

I really admire people who rescue fine old machines.

Take lots of pics Polt. Walk us thru it.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 PM
Princeps Prior

I did this same thing about 10 years ago with a CB700S that I got from a tow yard for free. The best move I made on that project was to buy a 2nd parts bike. I bought an "as is" bike for $400 and gutted it for parts. One mistake I made was doing this AFTER I bought a bunch of parts off eBay.

Keep in mind that I needed a LOT of parts, full exhaust, shift forks, carbs, seat, etc...

The other benefit was that I have a pile of parts that have market value (but still sit in a shed).

One other tip, I stripped the whole bike down to the frame and repainted all the parts. She came out very nice.

One other upside is that if you do your homework you can find out what parts are good to upgrade. Thinks like forks.

We have tons of resources here, ask away and post plenty of progress pics.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2019, 11:00 PM
919 Rider

Welcome.
I'm sure you'll get your 919 looking good/running well again. The engine is bullet proof.
I also brought a basket case. Originally stolen from a dealer on Honda finance. Chucked in some shed for like 10yrs or so. Sold at a repo auction to me.
It was rusty, fallen over a couple of times, sat unused for years. But had only a couple of thousand kms on it and completely stock. Also very cheap.
The bike is like new now, to look at and how it runs.
Back from the dead.
Yours will go the same. Be nothing wrong with the engine. Doing a rebuild is a great way to learn about your machine.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Wanna free cat?

Build thread!

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
--- Mae West
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 CB900F
post #8 of 14 Old 05-21-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks Everyone for the words of encouragement! A little update with the fuel pump. I got around today removing the tank then the fuel pump assembly. Then removed the pump motor from the assembly. Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.JPG (140.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.JPG (120.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0804.JPG (162.8 KB, 15 views)

post #9 of 14 Old 05-21-2019, 05:24 PM
919 Rider

I went with one of these pumps.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162848224571
Three years on still going strong.
Be a good time to replace the in tank fuel filter too.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Islandboy! Thanks for the link. I was looking through countless pump motors on EBay and was a little leery about some of the quality and the pump rates on them. I will definitely be ordering one. I just hope it doesn’t take forever to arrive since I’m in the US. I can’t wait to hear this bike run.
And yes I’m replacing the fuel filter and all hoses. Since I already have the pump assembly apart, why half ass it and worry about other thinks that could bite me down the road.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-22-2019, 05:51 PM
919 Rider

When my Kemso fuel pump turned up it came with a couple of the intake strainers. Different shapes/sizes. None were suitable so I just cleaned and reused the original strainer. They look to have extra ones now so you may find one to fit. Otherwise do what I did. Clean and reuse the OEM one.
Good luck.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Wanna free cat?

Ditch the engine-mounted sliders!

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
--- Mae West
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 CB900F
post #13 of 14 Old 05-27-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Islandboy, I just ordered the pump motor this weekend. The eBay seller you recommended had a US store but they were out of stock. They emailed me when they received new stock and purchased promptly. However, the pump will not be delivered until June 4th. That being said I like to thank you again for the recommendation. As far as the strainer I will clean and reuse the old one. It does look in good shape.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 PM
919 Rider

Mmmm Kemso pumps...bit of a mystery.
Quite cheap. I paided about 40 bucks. I got one to out of trouble quick. Three years on the pump has been faultless. I do have a new OEM pump to go in when the Kemso shits itself.
The seller says made in Japan. I'm not too sure about that. A Google search gives very little. In the states a similar unit is sold as Kenro pumps. These pumps look very similar to a discontinued brand, Aeromotive pumps. They look identical and have similar specs, 340l.
Aeromotive pumps have good and bad reviews and are made in china. I wouldn't be surprised if these Kemso/Kenro pumps are just rebranded Aeromotive pumps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode