New member from Montréal, QC - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Volumetrik

post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Cool New member from Montréal, QC

Hi everyone, I joined earlier in August but I have been mostly lurking and reading around.

I bought my 2007 919 in August and I have been reading and compiling information since then.

A few details about me, I am studying in mechanical engineering here in Montreal (4th year).

I just finished doing a pretty extensive restoration/update/resto-mod on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R. Here is a couple of pictures of the finished product. Here is the build thread on ZRXOA.

Last summer I also finished restoring an 89' BMW 325iX. Took me around 2.5 years and 800 hours of working through rust and grime.
I was a car guy before, but working on the incredible amount of rust on that car completely turned me off working on cars.

I much prefer working on bikes now, less rust and does take a significant less amount of space when disassembled. I also had a 91' Suzuki GSF400 Bandit that I did a GSXR750 fork, shock and instrument swap on. Here is a few pictures of that bike :

Here is a very detailed build thread : Bandit 400 - GSXR 750 Fork swap - Build thread

Very fun bike, 14k redline, smooth as a purring cat and super light. But in Quebec, it costs over 500 to register a bike per year, every year. As a student, I could not afford that very long so I sold the less practical one.

Here are some pictures of my bone stock 07 919 !

In any case I am looking forward to the winter-time to work on my 919. I have lots of things planned, including a secret operation which I will reveal in my upcoming build thread !

Max
mcromo44, ewmin3m and Islandboy like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Looking forward to seeing the secret operation. I heard rumors of how expensive it is to own and insure a motorcycle in Canada. My friend lives in Ontario and had to pay 3500 a year in insurance on a bike he paid 4000 for, and had a clean record. That was before they removed him because they found out he was under 25 and they didn't want to insure anyone his age.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Welcome!
Awesome bikes.
Love the ZRX, one of my favorites.
Can’t wait to see what you do with the 9er!

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 12:45 PM
McTavish

Welcome aboard!
Some very nice work you've done.
Looking forward to what you scope out and execute on the 919.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volumetrik View Post
Hi everyone, I joined earlier in August but I have been mostly lurking and reading around.

I bought my 2007 919 in August and I have been reading and compiling information since then.

A few details about me, I am studying in mechanical engineering here in Montreal (4th year).

I just finished doing a pretty extensive restoration/update/resto-mod on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R. Here is a couple of pictures of the finished product. Here is the build thread on ZRXOA.

Last summer I also finished restoring an 89' BMW 325iX. Took me around 2.5 years and 800 hours of working through rust and grime.
I was a car guy before, but working on the incredible amount of rust on that car completely turned me off working on cars.

I much prefer working on bikes now, less rust and does take a significant less amount of space when disassembled. I also had a 91' Suzuki GSF400 Bandit that I did a GSXR750 fork, shock and instrument swap on. Here is a few pictures of that bike :

Here is a very detailed build thread : Bandit 400 - GSXR 750 Fork swap - Build thread

Very fun bike, 14k redline, smooth as a purring cat and super light. But in Quebec, it costs over 500 to register a bike per year, every year. As a student, I could not afford that very long so I sold the less practical one.

Here are some pictures of my bone stock 07 919 !

In any case I am looking forward to the winter-time to work on my 919. I have lots of things planned, including a secret operation which I will reveal in my upcoming build thread !

Max
Nice build sheet and story line pictures on the Z forum you linked us to.
Love those 1200s, truly a classic.
One of my best friends has a Green one.
I tried it out before choosing the 919 over one like his.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM
919 Rider

Your ZRX looks great.
You've done some great work.
I agree entirely regarding cars and rust. Too much bodywork for my liking. I too prefer wrenching on bikes than sanding for hours.
And your just teasing us with your secret 919 operation.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Centurion

Garage
welcome, very nice to see that you have a penchant for logging all your work; that's much apprieciated.
Looking to see how your 9er project will turn into.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 04:30 PM
Pilus Posterior

I almost went with the ZRX instead of the 919, but they're both hard to find and the 919 came up after I nearly gave up trying to find one.

Awesome job on the ZRX and the 919 looks super clean. Plenty of people mod them, but I think they look awesome in stock condition.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Looking forward to seeing the secret operation. I heard rumors of how expensive it is to own and insure a motorcycle in Canada. My friend lives in Ontario and had to pay 3500 a year in insurance on a bike he paid 4000 for, and had a clean record. That was before they removed him because they found out he was under 25 and they didn't want to insure anyone his age.
My friend moved to BC and it's much worse than in QC, especially insurance. Here its the supersport bikes that cost alot. 1500$ for the registration PER year + insurance. For a regular 400cc+ bike that's not deemed ''at risk'', it's 660$ per year + insurance.

My 919, fully insured, both sides is around 200$ per year. So having a one standard motorcycle in quebec is sub 1k per year. Still expensive, but not eye bursting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
Welcome!
Awesome bikes.
Love the ZRX, one of my favorites.
Can’t wait to see what you do with the 9er!
Thank you ! REX'es are very cool, love the square headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Welcome aboard!
Some very nice work you've done.
Looking forward to what you scope out and execute on the 919.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Nice build sheet and story line pictures on the Z forum you linked us to.
Love those 1200s, truly a classic.
One of my best friends has a Green one.
I tried it out before choosing the 919 over one like his.
Thank you ! I picked it so I could ride with my dad but he changed his mind on riding, that's why I am selling it. The instant I got on the 919, I felt at home. Felt more comfortable on that bike 5 minutes in than 3 years on the rex !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Your ZRX looks great.
You've done some great work.
I agree entirely regarding cars and rust. Too much bodywork for my liking. I too prefer wrenching on bikes than sanding for hours.
And your just teasing us with your secret 919 operation.
It's unfortunate because I really like cars too, but everything on a bike is smaller and cheaper. Plus there is hardly any rust, ever !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
welcome, very nice to see that you have a penchant for logging all your work; that's much apprieciated.
Looking to see how your 9er project will turn into.
Thanks ! I use them when I apply for internships, that's why I take such care to make them, plus it helps others in the process ! Win-Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I almost went with the ZRX instead of the 919, but they're both hard to find and the 919 came up after I nearly gave up trying to find one.

Awesome job on the ZRX and the 919 looks super clean. Plenty of people mod them, but I think they look awesome in stock condition.
Yeah, both bikes look fantastic bone stock, that's why I wanted to keep the Rex looking stockish, I call it OEM+

post #10 of 11 Old 10-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Wanna free cat?

Howdy and welcome aboard.
Great pics btw. Can't wait to see more!

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
--- Mae West
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 CB900F
post #11 of 11 Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufftup View Post
Howdy and welcome aboard.
Great pics btw. Can't wait to see more!
Thank you !

I am preparing my build thread. Should be up this weekend !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode