Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

New member and new (to me) 2007 919 Hornet owner

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rmb 
#1 ·
Hello fellow cager dodgers,
I just joined the forum, but have been researching it for a few weeks. I also just purchased a 2007 Honda 919 Hornet (CB900F) with 345 miles on it. I posted a few pics of her with a story and more information about her (I will paste that in this post).
I have been riding for a while (dirtbikes as a kid then streetbikes as well since I was 16). I have had a number of bikes and now I have found a bike that I will be keeping when other bikes come and go. I do plan on buying an adventure/dual sport bike at some point (KTM 1290 Super Adventure R or the new KTM 800 Adventure bike that is in the works). That bike may be a keeper too, but I know the 919 is a keeper.

I have already found a lot of useful information on this forum and look forward reading, learning, and contributing when I can.

Below is what I wrote with the pics of my 919 I uploaded to the site:

My 2007 Honda 919 (CB900F)
So far completely stock.
I found this unicorn in January 2017. It had 345 total miles on it and looked like it had just been taken out of the crate (that had been kept in an airtight bubble), showroom new. I checked the vehicle history and it was purchased in December 2009. The motorcycle shop that was selling the bike for the owner said that he brought in 5 bikes with very low miles and bought a new bike (he has more bikes at home as well). I wish I could have so many bikes. I'm sure that they would all have more miles on them though.
I had about a 4 hour drive home after buying it and made sure to not stay at a steady rpm/speed for too long as it is still being broken in.
I researched this site when I started my search for a 919 Hornet (CB900F). I am very happy with it and understand why the riders who own them love them.
My last bike was an 2012 Aprilia Tuono and the 919 still puts a smile on my face when I ride it. It is a great do it all motorcycle and in my opinion is a beautiful bike.
There will be some changes to come, but I will not be changing too much or the paint job. Some wider handlebars, frame sliders (mounted on the frame not the engine), small windshield, possibly a centerstand, dc power outlet, and performance upgrades (at least remove some restrictions/let it "breath"). I usually buy black or "stealth"/dark shades looking bikes, but this red is really nice in the day or night. I like the look of the 919 in every color I've seen so far, but I think the red is my favorite (probably some bias there).
This is not to boast about the bike. I am sharing my excitement and gratefulness to own and ride it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome!

I think you're the first person that has gone from a tuono to a 919... everyone else seems to go the other way... I'll be interested to hear how you think they compare after you get some more seat time

#4 ·
Welcome man and congrats on the new bike! I have a 2007 which should cross 100K miles this year. Still runs great. The amazing thing to me is how well the red paint has held up. The tank still looks brand new. Even if I get a new bike, I plan to keep it as long as it will still run.:thumbup1:

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys!

I was shocked to find one this new/low miles. I have never heard of a bike 10 years old with almost no miles. Just a unique scenario and perfect timing.
I don't mean to make anyone jealous, but I am very happy to have found this one :)

I posted a few pics in the pictures section of the forum (don't have a link handy though).
I have to step out, but I will post more pictures soon.

I had 2012 Aprilia Tuono to compare the 919 to. I will be sure to give a comparison to the Tuono after some more seat time.
I know the normal progression would be to be a 919 then Tuono, but for me it was not about progressing. I've had a number of bikes and the 919 is what decided would be my "keeper" bike (a bike that I will hang on to for years when other bikes come and go because of upgrading to the newer/better version or another model or when they are getting up there in miles). It is a great all around motorcycle (from what I've read and initial impressions, I've only had about 300 miles seat time mostly on the ride home from buying her).
So far the Tuono was my favorite streetbike so far (not counting the 919 yet). I've had a CBR600f3, a couple R1's, and other street bikes as well as trying out various bikes to compare that to. I would not be surprised if I buy another Tuono at some point. You really can't go wrong with one.

It is good to hear about the reliability and how well 919's hold up. That is Honda for you, known for their reliability among other good qualities. That is another reason that I plan on keeping my 919 until the wheels fall off :)

Well speaking of bikes, it is time for a ride.
Have a good one and thanks again for the warm welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.