5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark61
  • 1 Post By Diablo
  • 3 Post By Mark61

Old 04-28-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Thumbs up New Hornet Rider

Hi Guys,
Have been out of motorcycling for 16 years, family reasons, and just bought a Hornet 919. In the past I had several MX bikes, a CB500/4 in the 70's, then a CB750 K2, CB750K, and CB750F, did a couple of hundred thousand Klm's on them, and rebuilt them all while I owned them. Just turned 60 two weeks ago and just couldn't make up my mind what bike to buy, but was going to get a new one, so I bought a second hand Hornet with only 9200 klm's on it until I make up my mind. Problem is I love this bike, it flies, and rides like new with only 1 elderly owner (like me, haha) It's a 2007 model first bought in 2009, must be one of the last to be made, stock standard with a centrestand and pissy little honda fairing that directs all the wind onto my helmet. Now I'm thinking I might keep it, it handles really well, I find the suspension pretty good as standard, but I only had the old models to compare to it.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180421_165637.jpg (255.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180421_165627.jpg (265.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20180421_165620.jpg (266.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20180421_165611.jpg (246.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20180421_165644.jpg (259.0 KB, 20 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 AM
919 Rider

G'day mate. Your story is very similar to mine. I stopped riding for 15yrs for family stuff. Felt the itch to ride again. Got a honda cb900f hornet. Fell in love with riding and bikes again. What a fantastic bike to get back on the road again.
You have yourself a particularly fine lookin specimen. It's a good thing it's a late model, low km's and stock.
Have fun.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:22 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

Old 04-28-2018, 05:08 AM
Milites Gregarius

Welcome to the forum! Iíd say keep it until youíre dead set on something else. Looks very nice.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Thanks guys, I'm still going to test ride the bikes on my shortlist, but the hornet does everything I want from a bike, it will take on hell of a bike to make me part with that much money now.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:49 PM
919 Rider

I'm down in Tassie.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Sunshine Coast here.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 AM
McTavish

Welcome aboard!
By having a 919, you have the best approximation of a modern era SOHC CB750, although the 919 design date is roughly turn of the century.
I still have my '73 CB750 as bought new.
Like you, I was off for a number of years (10) before buying the 919 new in 2005 as my 51st birthday present from me to me.
As for your comment " it handles really well, I find the suspension pretty good as standard, but I only had the old models to compare to it.", let's just say some of us here can help you quickly breed some dissatisfaction with the stock suspension, if you want such help.
How do you find the front brake compared to the dinosaurs?
Nice, eh?
Do enjoy!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Discen

You are right, I only have the old ones to compare it to, yesterday 2 Harleys overtook my on some tight twisty roads, mind you I had never ridden there before, and am still just starting riding after a long break, I've had a quote to put stiffer springs in the forks and gold valve, and modify the damping front and rear, AU$850, so might go with that. The front brakes are awesome, my last bike had 2 discs up front, and I put a Kawa 1000 master cylinder and braided lines on it, but had squeeze like holy hell to stop it.
Cheers.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:28 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Love that color combo!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Old 04-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Hello and welcome Diablo!

Well put me down with the same story that you have. Several years of no riding due to career and family. Then it struck me, I need a bike in my life. After careful thought, I selected a 919. It took me back to the days when you had a headlight and a taillight with a motor. The 919 proved to be just like some of my bikes in the seventies and eighties but with some modern up-grades such as: water cooling, six speed, fuel injection and so forth. I have really enjoyed the bike and this is a good forum for a wide variety of information. As far as the "pissy fairing", I am not a fan either. I firmly decided on no fairings before I made my purchase (at least on this bike). But to each their own...

Again, welcome aboard and congratulations on your choice of bikes to purchase.

Mark61
mcromo44 likes this.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Tirone

Garage
Looks great! Welcome & enjoy the ride!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 AM
919 Rider

Reading through the posts I see there are few of us that took a break from riding, +10yrs, for family/careers. Then to take it up again and with the 919 as our bike of choice.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:12 AM
Tirone

Don't keep it until you're really set on something else! Just keep it....even when you decide to try something newer. I've had my '07 since 2012 and although I have other newer bikes I find that the 919 just "wears well." It's comfortable, fast, get good fuel economy and just a pleasure to ride....or is that "drive." You won't be sorry.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I think us older returning riders like it because it looks like a motorbike, it does everything we want a bike to do reasonably well, has some mid-range torque instead of all top-end rush, and doesn't cost the earth.
Mark61 likes this.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
I think us older returning riders like it because it looks like a motorbike, it does everything we want a bike to do reasonably well, has some mid-range torque instead of all top-end rush, and doesn't cost the earth.
You just described an UJM!
Which is what the 919 is in spades.
Just like the K's, Z's and GS's of old.
The concept is still valid.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
"From the seventies" to "our seventies"

I rode my first motorized two-wheeler at age eight. I instantly discovered a feeling of freedom and exhilaration like never before in my short life. As soon as I came to a stop, I got off and sat down beside it, and studied every part that made it run. This permanently jump started the engineering part of my brain that has served me well in my personal and professional life. For nearly forty years we have been visiting local tracks to watch the old (and new) hotrods run. And occasionally, make some passes ourselves. Last night we logged another 240+ mile ride through the back roads of KY where we did just that. It was a great night out with eating, laughing and plenty of ďthe older we get, the faster we wereĒ kind of talk. Although at this stage, half of us canít see the scoreboards, half of us canít read the tickets, and none of us can remember what they said thirty seconds later. I guess we just donít take things too seriously these days. We got that Waffle House menu memorized though!

Stay engaged, work hard and be grateful every day. Especially for the ones around you. Do what you love to do in life, for as long as you can! **Age is no excuse**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BG Tuesday May first .jpg (208.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2711 - Copy.jpg (406.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Small version corvette.jpg (137.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Terry and me at Ohio valley 4-13-18.JPG (151.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Me Bernie and John BG.jpg (110.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark61 View Post
I rode my first motorized two-wheeler at age eight. I instantly discovered a feeling of freedom and exhilaration like never before in my short life. As soon as I came to a stop, I got off and sat down beside it, and studied every part that made it run. This permanently jump started the engineering part of my brain that has served me well in my personal and professional life. For nearly forty years we have been visiting local tracks to watch the old (and new) hotrods run. And occasionally, make some passes ourselves. Last night we logged another 240+ mile ride through the back roads of KY where we did just that. It was a great night out with eating, laughing and plenty of ďthe older we get, the faster we wereĒ kind of talk. Although at this stage, half of us canít see the scoreboards, half of us canít read the tickets, and none of us can remember what they said thirty seconds later. I guess we just donít take things too seriously these days. We got that Waffle House menu memorized though!

Stay engaged, work hard and be grateful every day. Especially for the ones around you. Do what you love to do in life, for as long as you can! **Age is no excuse**
What a great post !!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in