New guy needs advice on purchase - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

New guy needs advice on purchase

I've reading posts for a couple of weeks to gather info for a 919, thanks in advance for all the info and entertainment. I'm 47 and live in Greensboro, NC and was glad to see all the other NC members- I'm hoping to be on blue ridge parkway this summer.

I'm 6'5" and I have searched for all the info I can on on the site for tall riders, so I visited the dealer who has a 07 919 (candy apple red) for $5300 out the door. I have a 36" inseam and magnum size feet and it seemed to me that my knees barely fit under the gas tank, but when I tried to run through the gears, my knee hit the ridge in the gas tank. I haven't ridden a sport bike before ( mostly friend's cruisers) so I may not be used to the more cramped feel of seating over center, but I think it would drive me crazy having to kick out my knee every shift.

I have seen a couple of peg lowering brackets or it may be an easy machine shop item, but would lowering the pegs cause some issue with scraping the pegs? I think a couple of members are also " averaged" heighth and any advice would be appreciated. I started looking at V stroms but I like the naked look and love the engine on the 919. Plus it seems to be a great deal for the bike.

thanks again for such a great community

chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Well Welcome to WT

I personally can't give you much advice as I'm of the short croud 5'9"

But you'll soon find the answers your looking for as there are plenty of 919 owners on here

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome from another carolinian. My advice is don't buy the 919. Take a look at the Aprilia Tuono as a better overall package and fit for larger riders. More power, better power delivery all the way through the revs and the ergos are excellent.

Not to mention, they look dead sexy on the track as well.

post #4 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Welcome. I am 6' or 6'1" and the bike fits me perfectly. I ride with a guy that is 6'5" and he looks a little big on the bike.

You can probably switch the bike to a GP shifter, and then when you are shifting to higher gears you wont hit the tank, but then you will hit on the downshift.

If the bike is what you want then get it, and make it to where you will love it. Corbin seat will help raise you up as well.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #5 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Welcome Chris. I'm 6'3" and have an 07 919. It can be a little cramped, especially if I put the balls of my feet on the pegs. The good news is the powerband is wide enough that once you get up a few gears shifting becomes optional. I was also looking at V-stroms and seems like that would be a good choice for someone taller.

There's alot of nice bikes out there, good luck!

post #6 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
My advice is don't buy the 919.
Pay no attention to Ridge. He is secretly in love with the bike.

Welcome Chris! The Outer Banks rock!

Good luck on finding a ride. Plenty of great options out there. Ride as many different kinds as you can. You'll find something that suits you.

Edit: Was that price from Triad Motorsports?

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #7 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Chris,
I'm in my late 40's also, and 6' 2" (34" inseam).

The 919 is a bit tight on the legs after a while. I like to stretch them out a bit after ~45 min of riding. Riding position is upright, with an easy reach to the grips. This upright position is not optimal for the track, though its great for the daily commute (40-60 minutes, twice daily). I do not notice any leg stiffness or feeling cramped on the commute.

$5,300 OTD from a dealer is a smokin' deal!

post #8 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Bevity-

Yes Triad Powersports, they have gone out of their way to make a good deal on the bike. Berry and Brian have been helpful, I have the feeling they want the 9er off the floor. It does stand out among all the new bikes-in a good way.

I'm not much into pushing the edge these days (did enough of that years ago) just looking for reliable but solid ride to enjoy the secondary roads up the mountains, beach or where ever the boss wants to go.

Chris

post #9 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I am 6ft tall and ride a 05 919, the only problem I have is the rear brake foot level is to short for my foot. Would like to extend it out a liitle bit. I am 60 last December and have been riding since 1972.

post #10 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Optio

I'm 6'2" 36" inseam, 38" in some jeans. I feel a bit cramped after an hour or so, but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than my old GSXR ever was.

Sounds like a great buy if you decide you fit on it

post #11 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXChris View Post
Bevity-

Yes Triad Powersports, they have gone out of their way to make a good deal on the bike. Berry and Brian have been helpful, I have the feeling they want the 9er off the floor. It does stand out among all the new bikes-in a good way.

I'm not much into pushing the edge these days (did enough of that years ago) just looking for reliable but solid ride to enjoy the secondary roads up the mountains, beach or where ever the boss wants to go.

Chris
Sounds like the Strom is a better fit for your ergos and the type of riding you want to do. The Strom is an excellent two-up rider. My wife and I took my Wee-Strom down the BRP and Virginia skyway for our 2nd anniversary. She fell in love with the way it handled and rode w/ both of us.

post #12 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I was really hoping to stay with a $6K budget and get a used bike, I can't find a dealer with an 06/05 1k V strom in the area- although the 650 are in range. I just assumed the 650 are underpowered for two up in the mountains....

If CPG has the same inseam, maybe I could mod it a bit...just moving the shifter up may do it. I may have been reading these posts too much- I have a feeling I talking myself into the 919 (is part of the insanity?). I'll do some work on peg lowering kit tonight and visit the shop tomorrow.

thanks again for quick responses

chris

post #13 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

There's always the FZ1

But I'm a little bias

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #14 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I am 6'3 the 919 is a comfortable bike. So is the vfr. And the fz1. Stay away from the rr bikes and you'll be ok

post #15 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Underpowered is a state of mind. I rode the crap out of a Bandit 600s two up. Never an issue with power, ever. Lower powered bikes let you ring their neck and it is fun! The WeeStrom gets better ratings in almost every category over the V strom 1000.

Adventure tourers are good bikes for taller people. The V-strom, BMW GS1150/1200, Aprilia Campanord, Buell Ulyses, etc... all have tons of leg room and you will not look silly riding it.

I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I am on my tip toes with my Tiger at a stand still. But once moving, it is the most comfy bike I have ever ridden.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #16 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I was really hoping to stay with a $6K budget and get a used bike, I can't find a dealer with an 06/05 1k V strom in the area- although the 650 are in range. I just assumed the 650 are underpowered for two up in the mountains....

If CPG has the same inseam, maybe I could mod it a bit...just moving the shifter up may do it. I may have been reading these posts too much- I have a feeling I talking myself into the 919 (is part of the insanity?). I'll do some work on peg lowering kit tonight and visit the shop tomorrow.

thanks again for quick responses

chris
Have you tried Stroud and Mid-Carolina yet? If you go to Mid-Carolina, make certain that you see Johnny and ask. He may be able to find one for you.

post #17 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dude, you're like "Grape Ape" ...

A few have steered you toward roomer bikes already. For a used bike in your price range ... you have many options. Go sit on and ride as many as you can.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #18 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I guess I could try some ape hangers, but I'm going to look into some other bikes. I do appreciate the help and will be back.

Chris

post #19 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Definitely come on back no matter what you get. At your height I think you should definitely sit on as many as possible to find something that fits.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #20 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I guess I could try some ape hangers, but I'm going to look into some other bikes. I do appreciate the help and will be back.

Chris
If you find a bike that is reasonably close in ergos, do a quick search for rear sets that may get you the rest of the way to where you want to be and factor them into your overall budget.

post #21 of 33 Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

rode the 9'er for a year its a fun bike but it certainly isn't the most comfortable for us taller riders! 6'2'' here and it really boils down to how much uncomfort you want to tolerate! The bike is a lot of fun, but like the others you might be looking for a better fit as I am now as well, but I enjoy lots of different bikes and cars!!! Not sure what to tell you to look for as i'm still looking for my perfect fit as well!!

Good luck and enjoy what ever you get and come back here and let us know no matter what it is!!!

post #22 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm back, I have found a wee strom an hour away and a Kaw ZRX 1200 in town and I plan to test both. THe Strom I'm pretty familiar with the Rexr I'm not, several posters at the ZRX site are taller than me and say they fit (or add a Bruell foot pegs). I guess the ZRX is not very nimble but reliable and strong- perhaps like a larger 919?

any feed back would most appreciated.

Chris

post #23 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I've ridden my friend's 2003 ZRX 1200. It had a more comfortable seating position than my 919. I'm right at 6 foot tall with a 34 inch inseam. My 919 was more comfortable over longer distance because his ZRX seat was a little mushy. That could easily be fixed though. I find that soft seats suck because as your butt and legs sink in, it forces the padding into your crotch. Not comfy. For a bigger, heavier bike, the ZRX was very good in the twisty stuff.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Milites Gregarius

I just added the buell xb footpegs to my 919 for a little extra leg room. They lower the pegs about an inch. That is enough for a very noticable difference in how much your legs bend. Before, my knees were right up to the ridge in the gas tank and now I have a good little gap there. I plan to mess with the brake and shifter to see if I can lower them a bit. I haven't taken time to do anything with them yet. I can ride with them in the stock position but it would be nice to have them a bit lower.

post #25 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Milites Gregarius

Here are a couple pics of the buell footpegs. I took the hero blobs off of the buell pegs and the bottom of the peg seems to be about the same place the feelers were on the stock pegs. There was some grinding of the peg required for the new ones to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0010.JPG (1.49 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0008.JPG (1.36 MB, 4 views)

post #26 of 33 Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

The bike is too small for you.

Unless you want to look like Porky over on the Nest.

It's just about a 600 class sized bike with nearly liter bike performance...

Check a Gen 1 Fizzie or maybe ZREX.

post #27 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

"Unless you want to look like Porky over on the Nest"

Not sure what exactly that means but I surely don't. After endless research one poster had it right, if your taller you going to look a bit dorky on most bikes. I did check out a tiger and it was a good fit , but the was plenty of issues with the bike (97) and it's very top heavy ( I guess the Wee Strom is too).

I did see the Buell peg mod and there's MFW Vairo's pegs (eight positions -$50US) and that may be the way to go for now.

Thanks all for the input, it's much appreciated- I need to just pull the trigger

post #28 of 33 Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i dunno.. i am 6'3 and i have a 919.. once i changed the bars to the renthals and now i have the suburban machinery bars, i am comfortable (ish) on up to 150 mile one way rides... get a bit numb in the butt but *(i said butt x2) its all good....

just enjoy whatever you get and take pictures of us to be jealous of..

post #29 of 33 Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok, it's been a long summer and I've given up on finding a V strom that fits my budget but I'm off to try a Bmw k75s tomorrow. I did see another black 919....

I'll be back

post #30 of 33 Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
no max no more

after 4500 miles my ass dont hurt no more and he rash is going away

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #31 of 33 Old 09-21-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

It's a 2000 SV650

She's a little beat up and had been dropped, but I've put about 300 mi on her last weekend and with some care and mods it should be a great fall.

Thanks all for the help and I hope to see you on the parkway this fall

Chris

post #32 of 33 Old 09-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Woohoo!!!
The SV is a great budget bike with tons of potential.
I hope you put tons of miles on it and enjoy it.

Certainly a great bike!

No pics?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #33 of 33 Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

6'5" 36 to 38" inseam size 14 boot here, the 919 was one of the few nakeds that my knee fit below the tank dent. It feels a bit close when I wear thicker soled shoes. The ZRX was very cramped, my knee was a few inches above the tank cut-out. The SV 1000 felt like mini bike to me. The K1300R is roomy but pricey. Never sat on an FZ or Z1000. I moved the shifter a spline or two, and my favorite boots are a pair of thin soled above the ankle Kart racing units. This bike fits me better than any any I've had. Go sit on all that you can

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode