New From Washington State (Puget Sound Area) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

New From Washington State (Puget Sound Area)

June 2, 2012 Updates: New pictures, new info

Re-routed the rear brake reservoir line. Installed the new brake pads, wet-sanded the crap off of the front and rear rotors, installed front stainless steel lines, bled both the front and rear brakes, and installed the rest of the front fairing and painted the front fender and installed it.

Next up, track day June 11th, pending weather and going to buff out the paint now that it's good and hard.

Before Pictures

After Pictures

Purchased a 2000 SV650 last week. It was a friend of a friend's bike. He had been asking $1700 for it. Before we even went to see it we offered $1400, he said sounds good come and pick it up.

Neither of us were free until the next weekend, so I waited impatiently to finally see it in person. When I got there, the first thing he did was point out a tiny little hole in the gas tank and say "sorry, I didn't realize this was here, I'll knock a couple hundred bucks off of the price."

Ended up purchasing it for $1200. It came with both front and rear stands, a portable air tank, rear sets, aluminum subframe, stock subframe, front braided steel lines, GSXR 600 front end + brakes, clip on handlebars, brand new tires, Helms manual w/ CD copy, TONS of extras, race fairings, extra large tach (gonna sell this).

We bought this thing on faith alone, since we couldn't start it up because of the gas tank. We took it home in the trailer, and I spent the next few days washing out the gas tank and then blew it out with compressed air until it was dry, then let it sit for days. When I did finally get out all of the fumes, we looked around at the best way to fix the hole. Turns out brazing seemed like the only permanent solution, these first gen tanks are notoriously hard to find, and even harder to find without any major dents in them (mine has NO dents).

So we purchased a brazing kit, my Dad has significant experience soldering, but none with brazing. But there isn't too much of a difference between the two, other than temperature. I prepped around the hole, cleaned around it real good. Then my Dad brazed it closed. It now holds fluid! No leaks at all!

Spent hours going over all of the bolts torquing them to spec. Most of them were either loose, or not to spec. Re-routed most of the cables back to spec because this guy was an idiot when it came to mechanical stuff.

Only positive thing mainly was price and the fact that the harness is uncut, gotta love this.

Once we rectified all of the funny stuff with the bike, we threw some gas in it, (we had the battery on a tender from the day we got it). It cranked over for awhile until gas finally made it's way into the carbs because it was DeeeRuuuuuY. But after the first start, it starts up first try. It runs SUPER good. No misses, idles perfect.

Bought my AGV suit off of SVrider for $65 great deal
Bought a EXO400 with an extra shield for $80.
Bought the Alpinestar GP Plus gloves for $100
Bought the Sidi Vertigo boots for $175

Spent about $30 in paint and primer painting the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Welcome, I thought you were from B ville. CT/north east that's why I linked you the nesba forum.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

No worries, I'm a member of WMRRA as well (Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association) as well.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Bike looks good, Chad. Welcome.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks!

post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Awesome find and welcome aboard!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode