4Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By rmb
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

MikeyB 919 new to the forum

I'm new to the forum just bought an 07 919 red just under 13,000 miles been riding since I was 12 am now 399 in dog years. I love all bikes this is my third since 2014. I have a question I'm wanting a center stand but this bike has what I would call a canister looking deal underneath is it in the way or is it even needed.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM
919 Rider

G'day Mikey. Welcome. Can't help in regards to canister since Aussie bikes come without.
MikeyB919 likes this.

post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB919 View Post
I'm new to the forum just bought an 07 919 red just under 13,000 miles been riding since I was 12 am now 399 in dog years. I love all bikes this is my third since 2014. I have a question I'm wanting a center stand but this bike has what I would call a canister looking deal underneath is it in the way or is it even needed.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Welcome aboard.

The cannister is a charcoal type fume receiver/holder as part of the evaporative emissions control subsystem that a minority of 919s have, jurisdiction of first sale governing. California bikes have them, and had them before the catalytic converter was added into the inlet of the exhaust system Y tube that splits the exhaust into dual outlet.
MikeyB919 likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!
MikeyB919 likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for welcome guys.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Jester

Just pull it off. It adds no value. It is part of what Honda was required to do to meet CA emissions. You can pick up a center stand for a couple hundred buck if you look around.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Tirone

Garage
I've been on the lookout for a centerstand as well as I think it would be a handy accessory for longer summer trips. Revilla and Twisted Throttle sell the SW Motech version. Selling for $289 at the moment, but does occasionally drop in price. I'm kicking myself for not purchasing for $230 a while back when they had a 20% discount. There's a special "spring installation tool" that they sell with it... don't know what that's all about and if it's actually needed.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...9-cb900-hornet
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...rnet-2002-2007

post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Jester

I added a center stand to my 919 primarily to make it easier to work on when I am on trips. That way I do not have to drag around my Pit Bull Stand.

The springs that come with a new center stand are very strong and difficult to install without the right tool. I was able to do it using the tools I had but it took me and another guy to stretch that spring in place and we had to make multiple attempts. That being said we did not have a lift and were working at weird angles laying on the ground trying to get the springs on. Yes, there is more than one spring on the center-stand.

Note that there are a couple different styles of stands available. Some require you to remove the pipes to get them on. The one I purchased did not, thankfully.

Plan for some swearing but you can do it with the right level of determination. You can also hurt yourself working with heavy springs like this so be careful. Wear gloves and eye protection.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannon32 View Post
I've been on the lookout for a centerstand as well as I think it would be a handy accessory for longer summer trips. Revilla and Twisted Throttle sell the SW Motech version. Selling for $289 at the moment, but does occasionally drop in price. I'm kicking myself for not purchasing for $230 a while back when they had a 20% discount. There's a special "spring installation tool" that they sell with it... don't know what that's all about and if it's actually needed.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...9-cb900-hornet
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...rnet-2002-2007
There is no need for special spring installation tool.
The ancient trick of using pennies jammed in between the coils still works like a charm.
The method is dead simple.
Wedge in between two coils with a flat screwdriver, then follow with a penny held very firmly in pliers Linesman pliers being the best and needle nose are not at all fun to use instead.
When the bike is on the stand, the coils are already spread some, so the penny insertion is not even a challenge for that scenario.
One of my best friends invented the method while trying to prep his bike for production racing back in the mid 70s.
I've been keeping a dedicated bag of pennies in my toolbox ever since.
brannon32 likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Jester

What a brilliant idea and so simple at that. Don't know why I have been busting my knuckles all these years and to think that for 10 cents I could have saved a lot of skin.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2018, 03:06 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedheiman View Post
What a brilliant idea and so simple at that. Don't know why I have been busting my knuckles all these years and to think that for 10 cents I could have saved a lot of skin.
Yes indeed.
The inventor also came up with some other brilliant ideas.
A piece of rod brazed to a steel of a clutch plate pack became a clutch disassembly tool.
A broken hack saw blade taped at one end, for cutting the swing arm bushings lengthwise so they could easily be removed.
A trimmed concrete nail used as a back side puller, to pull out the brake hose internal fitting so the left hand only calipers could be converted to right hand re a twin disk conversion.
He was an absolute master of figuring out how to use what he had, or could easily get, that was cheap, and did the job well and in a way no one else had thought of.
We're still very good friends despite our having moved thousands of miles away many years ago, and he's the only other one of our group that still has a 'bike, a really nice Eddie Lawson replica.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode