Looking for new bike, Found a new site? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Looking for new bike, Found a new site?

Hey guys, as the title implies I am looking for a new bike at the moment, mainly a Honda 919. Problem is I have to get rid of my current bike, a 2005 V-strom 650, so I figured while I waited for it to sell, I'd get my lurk on here where there seems to be a good amount of 919 riders!

I guess I'll say a little bit about my self, well I'm a student, and I like motorcycles! I've been riding for a little over 3 years now, and I've bought and sold enough bikes to last a good decade for any regular person.

1994 xt225
1985 GS700
1991 FZR600
2006 SV650s
2007 FZ6
2005 V-strom 650

I guess I get bored quickly? Well now I'm looking at 919's and setting myself in for the long haul with it (the long haul being the accumulating student loans), and it seems it can do what i need it do it in the most entertaining way possible, that being commuting, and when I get the chance, hitting some twisties. So hopefully soon I can get some seat time in one before winter really hits; don't get me wrong, I'll ride if the road is dry, but I don't like hitting the curves all that much if it's 15 degrees out.

First mod on the list is heated grips!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Student huh? Me too...at my local community college though. 919! Great choice in motorcycle. If you feel like traveling, you can buy my 919 in Virginia. Hahaha And heated grips? You're in luck, I have a pair of Oxford heated grips never installed just sitting in my room I can throw in! I love my 919, it's a great motorcycle.

I have the same problem with changing motorcycles all the time. I don't say I get bored with the bike, I just want to experience something else usually. Now for some reason, I want to get back with a sportbike. I don't understand why my mind changes all the time.

And again, welcome to the site. There's tons of information about the bike here. And if you have a question, someone on this forum will have an answer.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #3 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! There's a set of heated grips for sale here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...dle-28265.html

The Oxfords work VERY well, I have a set on my 9er.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the support guys, but I have to get ride of my current bike before I start buying stuff for it! If any of you are interested in trading for a v-strom 650 I'd be happy to meet you half way . I'm going to post an ad in the classfieds soon, pending approval of the mods (as I only have a 2 posts atm).

BTW toast, I've watch a bunch of your videos, listening to you giggle when you roll on the throttle was actually one of the things that made me want one!

post #5 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Jon. Nice lineup of past and present bikes. How did you like the V-Strom 650. They seems like cool bikes with a big following worldwide. The V-Strom was on my short list when I got the 919.

Enjoy the site, lots of good info and people here.

post #6 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmo89 View Post
BTW toast, I've watch a bunch of your videos, listening to you giggle when you roll on the throttle was actually one of the things that made me want one!
You've seen my videos huh? How cool! Giggling? I don't remember doing such...hehehe

post #7 of 17 Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Welcome Jon. Nice lineup of past and present bikes. How did you like the V-Strom 650. They seems like cool bikes with a big following worldwide. The V-Strom was on my short list when I got the 919.

Enjoy the site, lots of good info and people here.
The V-Strom is a great bike! I still use it to commute and go for pleasure rides whenever I want to. It does everything rather well from twisties to gravel, but I'm just looking for something different and wanted to go back to something sportier (while I'm still young right?).

And Toast, that was my bad, it wasn't a giggle, but more of a hearty man laugh!

post #8 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I thought I would update my introduction thread with some awesome news.

I bought a 919! My v-strom finally sold and I went and looked at it earlier today (about 2 1/2 hours away from me), and after test riding I just had to have it.

It's a 2004 and there are some scratches here and there, but overall it is very solid. When I took it for a test ride the guy actually went out with me on a different bike of his, which was nice because I wasn't sure of a decent road I could test it on in the area. After riding it I was so impressed I decided to not even try to talk him down on price; it was well maintained, had low miles, and came with a bunch of extras.

Had 8850 miles on it (9k by the time I got home)
Yoshimura exhaust
Power commander
Frame sliders
Dominator headlights
Honda windscreen
Renthal wide bar
bar end mirrors
Polished swingarm and wheels (he stripped the black around the rim so it was only black on the spokes, see first picture)
Really nice fender eliminator w/ indicators
K&N air filter
And Honda oil and filter for the next oil change

I thought it was worth what he was asking. He also installed some blue underglow led strips and some strobe lights in the headlights, and while I will never use them he actually put them on quite well with securely mounted (and hidden) switches.

I just need to get some seat time in so I'm more confident in everyday riding. Right now it kind of feels like I'm fighting it in the turns, but hopefully I'll be able to make some progress once I get used to it and set the sag correctly. Poorboy was awesome enough to provide me with a link to some levers that I could buy, as the end of the brake lever is snapped and I think I'd like shorty ones better.

After opening it up a few times I realized that my old habit of using all four fingers for the clutch just wasn't going to happen, as I really needed to hold on! So I started using 2 fingers but then I ended up smashing my other fingers between the bars and lever.

I actually have some questions if anyone wants to chime in.

I think the Dominator headlights look really cool, but I might look into getting some brighter bulbs as they're certainly not the most luminous lights I've ever had. What sort of bulbs should I be looking at?

Next question concerns the frame sliders; they seem to mount directly to the engine... This doesn't seem like an ideal place. I was going to buy some of those crash bars but they arn't really in the cards right now due to how much cost. Can I relocate the sliders easily to the front frame struts?

Third question is, where can I buy a second set of the rear turn signals. I think they're aluminum. I just want to replace the giant airstrip landing lights on the front and would like the front to match the rear. (they're best seen in the 2nd picture)

Anyone, I know this is all basically worthless without pictures. I was able to snap a few before the sun set.

post #9 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Yayyyyyyyyy go you when I first test rode the 919, I was very surprised how smooth the power delivery was. Congrats on the purchase!

post #10 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Congrats, Great looking bike.

You can get the turn signals at the link below. Get dual filament for the front since they are also running lights.

LOCKHART PHILLIPS ALUMINUM SERIES TURN SIGNALS | MotoSport

post #11 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
MSF blacksheep

1: dominators blow, consider swapping for a 599 headlight or another "oem" light from another manufacturer. i'm planning on doing a yamaha mt03 headlight once funds are allotted.

2: motivation makes a set of sliders that mount to the frame and not the engine, switch before you drop and save your engine case
http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...?idproduct=201

3: go custom led tail light and swap your rear signals to the front, or buy some proton led flushmounts for a 600rr like i did.
http://www.customled.com/products/in...da_599_919.htm

also congrats on the purchase, you'll love it.

my 04 in silver = https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...end-27013.html

post #12 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for all the links guys, I really appreciate it.

I probably won't replace the dominators for awhile, at least until the beginning of next season. I was thinking I could just buy some HID bulbs to make them a bit better for the time being. Plus I kind of like they way they look.

The frame sliders are going to have to wait as well as I just don't have the money. I was thinking about picking up some of those fancy crash bars; maybe I could get someone to buy them for me for christmas...

For the tail light I think I'm just going to order some more indicators that mike linked; I like the way they look and I've never been too keen on the integrated tail lights.

Thanks again guys; I think I'm going to try to get to sleep so I can wake up earlier and go riding!

post #13 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 PM
MSF blacksheep

ride to champaign. ill meet up with you and talk shop/ ride some good roads.

money is always an opponent when it comes to modding. enjoy your bike and make it what you want it to be, the 919 is a blank canvas in many ways...

post #14 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 PM
The Cripple

whatever you do... please do not, i repeat, DO NOT install HID bulbs without projectors!!!

with that said, rizomas work well so they're another option although a bit pricier than the ones mike linked. if you want the absolute best led lights for the front, order some Watens. they're bloody expensive but oh my god they're worth it. reconsider the intergrated custom led light, i advise you. these lights are BRIGHT and they work VERY well.

yes you can relocate the frame sliders to the frame mount. check out the 919 helpful topics section as there's a wealth of info there including how to's.

post #15 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I bought the Lockhart Phillips for the same reason you did. I liked the rear ones that came with the fender eliminator kit. Not the fanciest ones out there but a great bang for the buck. The aluminum finish is very durable and they look just as good after 3 years on the bike.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

congrats on the new to you ride! Good looking bike, I love my yoshis!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #17 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'll probably just keep the front lights how they are until next season, and I"ll have to look into remounting the sliders; shouldn't be too hard. After I register it the first things on the list are new levers and some stomp grips for the tank. I have to see if I can mount my bar risers (rox pivoting) as well; I'm not sure if the previous owner installed new cables/hoses for the renthals that are on there now, I'll have to lift the tank and see what's going on. The renthals are nice but I think I'd like to put my risers on there just for a little bit until I get more used to the bike.

I'd love to ride up the champaign to ride with you ferris, but I just don't have the time between classes and observation/teaching (education major), maybe next summer though, or spring break!

And thanks for all the compliments guys, I like to think it's pretty slick and the yosh's are very nice. I do think I get a bit of the stink but it's not bad at all; at least not from the few hours I've ridden it. I did stick my arm behind me while riding and can notice the huge low pressure area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode