Knuckledraggin' 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Knuckledraggin' 919

Well, not literally knuckle dragging, but coming from a VFR, I feel sooooo primative on my 919. Still trying to figure out if this is a long term relationship or not. A Corbin seat might help, but so far I can only enjoy my Hornet for about an hour before this caveman would rather go back and sit on his rock. Love the bike for that blessed hour, though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome. The seat isn't too hard to get used to. I have had mine for 2 years now and am just thinking about getting the seat redone. Take a look at this thread for the seat.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...light=Spencers

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #3 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

welcome. The stock seat is far from perfect but you will probably find it more tolerable the more you ride it. At least I did.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

VFR to 919 -- Interesting (challenging) change of rides.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome to the place. I replaced my stock seat after one day.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome, guess my butt is more suited to the stock seat than some.

First time I've said "butt" in an intro post.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Might be all you need is some progrip on the tank.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #8 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 AM

WLECOME,MY ARSE IS SORE FROM MY SEAT,BUT NEW SEATS ARE SPENSIVE

post #9 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I love the seat compared to everything else I've ridden. I can ride for a good 10 hours without being sore.

2 > 4
post #10 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Primitive??? My VFR800 ride experience; between the horrible seat contour and the right leg getting cooked medium to well done, IMO the 919 is higher up on the evolution ladder.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM
MAM Customs

Welcome. A corbin seat was my first mod and it made a huge difference. I scoured ebay for two months and ended up finding one for $280.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #12 of 16 Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Welcome Bikeknight! I also went to a Corbin and is solved the butt paralysis for me.

I'd be interested in your owners opinion for the comparison with the VFR. I had been toying with making that switch to the VFR but hesitated due to concerns with electrical issues.
Mark

post #13 of 16 Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

I don't think the 5th gen VFR's (which I had) had any electrical probs that needed attention. Sixth gen's had a few recall issues which, I believe, were addressed by Honda.
I did use the term "primitive" tongue in cheek. That's what attracted me to the matte black 919. I loved the rawness (better?) of the 919 as opposed to the eerie smooth Interceptor. The 6th gen VFR is paraded as Honda's showcase of sophistication. All the gucci bells and whistles of techology, etc. But, what I thought was a too polished motorcycle in the VFR, I later realized was what I wanted parked next to my Harley. You can ride the VFR 5 miles to work, or 500 miles to wherever, and it will happily oblige. The 919 is a gas for local stuff, commuting and twisty fun, but anything beyond that for me is very uncomfortable. I've put 2000 miles on the 919 in the two months I've had it, so I feel I've given it a fair shakedown. But, even with a sheepskin gel-pad on the Hornet, I just can't get the Interceptor off my radar. It would be an awesome combination to have both, but I just can't justify three bikes in the garage right now.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
VFR to 919 -- Interesting (challenging) change of rides.
Hey, Ken,
Yea they are a great duo to switch back and forth! I see you have a Bandit page. The Bandit 1250s is on my very short list of possibilities if I don't get another VFR. I looks like it might be a nice middle ground between a 919 and a VFR. Any thoughts?

post #15 of 16 Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeknight View Post
Hey, Ken,
Yea they are a great duo to switch back and forth! I see you have a Bandit page. The Bandit 1250s is on my very short list of possibilities if I don't get another VFR. I looks like it might be a nice middle ground between a 919 and a VFR. Any thoughts?
I had three strong motivators when I was considering trading in the 919: a wife that sold her bike and wanted to ride with me again, a love of sport touring, and a love for torque.

The 9'er was a hoot to ride. It has many characteristics that I just loved. But it's downsides for me outweighed the hoot. It is not particularly comfy for a passenger, it needs to be wound out pretty good to get to its power sweet spot, and I was spending too much money on mods trying to make it a something it wasn't designed to be, a long distance mile muncher.

As a former ST1300 owner, I had a short list that included bikes that could go the distance and not weigh a ton -- the Bandit, the Sprint ST, the VFR, and the FJR. The Sprint still turns me on with its good looks. But its ride posture was more aggressive than I'm comfortable with and it just didn't feel as solid to me as the Japanese brands. The VFR is a gorgeous bike and, as you know, very capable of going great distances. But I wanted something a bit newer and the VTEC models have a powerband that had an odd feel to it, almost Jekyl and Hyde, pokey at low RPMs and almost overwhelming as soon as VTEC kicked in. Almost on and off. The FJR has a great sport feel to it but it reminded me too much of the ST13 in weight and handling. I wanted something different.

Along comes the new Bandit 1250 and the amazing reviews and press it was getting. Gobs of torque down low in the most used area of the RPM spectrum. Acceptable weight and center of gravity. Decent wind protection. A very affordable $500 ABS option. A gorgeous engine that wasn't wrapped in plastic. And a heritage that exudes confidence, performance, and durability. This was the one for me. It meets all of my requirements and then some. And never one to settle, I added the Holeshot Stage 1 which really wakes things up and gives the powerplant more of its potential -- 115HP and 100 ft lbs of torque all down at 6K RPM and lower. Fun! It handles superbly, brakes on a dime, carries a passenger as if no one is back there, has optional OEM side cases and top case that match the bike, and more than enough alternator power for as many add-ons as you need.

If you have a chance to test ride one, I'd strongly encourage it. You may just be pleasantly surprised at how much bike you get for a very nice OTD price.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Ken!
Great insight. Sounds like you and I are looking for the same things in a bike. It's funny that the 1250s was the first non-cruiser I'd ever ridden. At the time I didn't know what to make of it. Later, when I got the sport bug, I never got the chance to ride the Bandit again. Your high marks are a great endorsement. BTW, since we're on to Suzuki's, have you ever ridden an SV1000s? It seems with some Heli bars, it might fit the VFR slot a little. There's a black leftover available that looks real sweet!
Thanks, too, for all the Corbin comments. If I decide to keep the 919, I'll definetly pick one up. Stock has gotta go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« New | Another Newb! »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode