Just picked up my 919 yesterday! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Just picked up my 919 yesterday!

So there I was, riding almost happily on my old '82 GL500, struggling on highways to keep up with my cruiser friends, and never really trusting the miniscule single disc front brake.

My friend talked a guy he knew down to $1,200 for a 2003 Honda Shadow that he never rode, so I was about to buy it, I had to wait a few days for a check to arrive. A day before it came, my friend calls and says "Hey Steve, the guy with the Shadow, he had somebody offer him $2,400 for it. I reckon we can get him down to $2,000 though." I had a think about it, looked at the specs of the shadow. Single disc brake, 750cc V Twin, carbs, flames painted on the tank, forward controls. I didn't want to spend $2,000 on a bike I won't enjoy riding or learn on.

I did what anyone would do, I searched Craigslist for bikes 600cc-1000cc, newer than 2000, between $1,500 and $3,000. There was an SV650 for $2,500 but it was modded to hell, and started off as a faired model but was now a streetfighter... Then I saw a 919 that wasn't perfect, but looked good, and would be an amazing step up.

I told my friend that the guy can sell his Shadow to the person with $2,400, I definitely wouldn't want to spend more than $1,200 on that thing, and I went to look at the 919. It had a couple of issues, it had been dropped, he replaced the fuel tank and right peg, but the rear brake lever was bent in a bit, there are scuffs on the clutch cover, and the bar end is broken off. Everything else looked good though. I took it for a little spin around the block and it felt great. He wanted $2,600, but I got him down to $2,200. Took the title and sold my GL500 for $1,000 to a fella that wants to ride it from NY to California - good luck on that one!

Called my insurance and changed to the 919 - which made my premium go DOWN! I didn't like the indicators, they looked cheap and flashed too fast, so went on Revzilla, bought a Renthal Low bar, bar ends, new Oxford arrow indicators, chain wax, chain cleaning brush, some wire brushes too, and a pair of boots. Spent an hour at the DMV instead of lunch the next day, and had the registration transferred to the 919.

I went to pick the bike up yesterday, and the rear right turn signal was hanging. The guy gave me $100 though. I put my plate on, adjusted the mirrors, and went on my way home.

The bike itself is great. I didn't really open it up, but accelerating on the highway was effortless. Little lines in the road that gave the GL500 wobbles were eaten up by the suspension (which I hear isn't great, but definitely a big improvement on the GL500) and big radial tyres, and braking on the 919 wasn't a big, scary occasion. Two fingers was all I needed.

It sounds amazing, even with the stock exhausts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 AM
TEXAN

Congrats! Reminds me of my first days with a 919. I made up all sorts of excuses to go riding.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, I "have to" ride to meet my wife's 2nd cousin to help with her website...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Steev and congrats on your 919!

post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Left of Centre

Welcome along, Steev. All sorts of fun to be had here....

post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM
oops hurts

Garage
pics pls!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Here's the old bike:

And the new:

post #8 of 10 Old 05-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Tirone

Nice upgrade love my 919 I am sure you will love yours

post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Looks to be in really good shape. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Well week one is over!

So far, I've replaced the levers (the brake was curled around like a wotsit), the rear indicators are swapped over for some Oxford Mini Arrows, and I put 350 miles on it yesterday alone! Riding with my friends on their cruisers, I had fun turning the throttle on them and zooming by. The thing had no trouble keeping up with them, except I needed a break every 75 miles or so, it was the longest ride I've taken before, and interstate riding isn't the most active way of riding, so I needed to stretch and get my feeling back.

The aftermarket mirrors on the bike are junk. As hard as I try to tighten them, they keep folding in when I go over 40mph. I might just put my stock GL500 mirrors on it and find some better permanent ones. Aprilia Shiver mirrors seem to be popular...

I see the benefit to a little windscreen too. Shame I missed out on one when I was on the fence about it!

The bike is just amazing and I have gone nowhere near its (or even my) limit yet. I'd like to lose some weight and then get a proper two piece to take some track lessons. I do feel like some of the tiredness comes from me carrying too much weight. Oh, and from it being so bloody hot and wearing a non perforated leather jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode