Honda 919 Interest - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Honda 919 Interest

After a lot of googling and referral from a trusted acquaintance, this looks like the best forum I've found for this question! So thanks in advance for any help and allowing me to join and post here. I'm from New York and my previous rides include a Magna, VN1500, FZ1, and (currently) ST1300.

For the last couple of months I've been eyeballing other bikes to complement (possibly replace) the ST 1300. It would be really nice to have a lighter bike that would fit my current rides and put less stress on a couple of recent injuries (not ride related).

So, this dealer has a 2006 Candy Apple Red 919 with 800 miles on the tach. It is bone stock except for a small sport shield. The original owner rode it for one month and decided he wanted a big cruiser. Its condition is totally perfect. The asking price is $7,200. The KBB is $6,475. I'm going to take it for a test ride this week.

I've done exhaustive research and this bike seems to have a very loyal following. The whole package looks to be bulletproof and dripping with Honda quality. The 6-speed is very appealing. At 5'9" (and not comfortable with the sport riding posture) I'm interested in a standard with a shorter seat height and 31" seems reasonable for my inseam.

I'm interested from hearing from anyone with 919 experience. I've also been reading up on the Kawasaki Z750S, Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki SV650S, and Suzuki V-Strom 650, but my heart is with Honda.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Welcome to the jungle! I'm not biased or anything, but the 919 is the best bike ever made in the history of the entire universe.

Seriously, though, it sounds like the 919 fits the bill, but it would help to know what kind of riding you have in mind. The kind of superslab riding that your ST is built for is not exactly a happy place for a 919. The 919 is most at home in urban or back-road environments.

The engine will never let you down, the handling is pretty forgiving, the seat is reasonably comfortable, and the geometry is lazy enough to keep you out of trouble. Don't expect a sportbike and you'll be happy. Don't expect a tourer and you'll be happy. The 919 makes a superb road bike by being good at everything and the best at nothing.

Oh, for the record, the seat height is perfect for your height. I'm 5'9" as well.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention something. Be aware of the distinction between fanaticism and loyalty. We're all secretly insane.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Great info and great reply. Thank you. This is what I'm looking for.

Yes, the ST13 is a mile muncher. I bought when I was doing a LOT more 2-up riding and wanted something bigger and more comfortable for wife and daughter. Now the wife has her own bike and the daughter likes boys more than Dad!

Buy as long as I've owned it, I've avoided the super slabs like the plague. I'm much happier riding decent country roads and enjoy hitting sweepers with perfect smoothness, scenery, and The Pace more than anything else.

However, I still really like doing 400-500 mile days and regularly do weekend rides. So I'm also curious to know if people throw on any type of luggage for lighter touring duty. And since I may have an occasional pillon, I'm interested to know anything about passenger comfort.

Any feedback on these things is really apprecaited. I'll check in after the test ride!

post #4 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I just came of +2500 miles on a 9er to ten states. I've got a Ventura rack with 37 litre bag and a tankbag. The 9er tours well for me.

The misses and I slabbed to Tampa and back last year, same setup. Oh, BTW, I've got the Corbin seat with a backrest and Givi fairing. If you're gonna do any serious miles you need a better seat and some wind protection, IMO. Givi makes some hard luggage that is really nice also.

What I really like is getting back home, grab the toolkit, and in 10 minutes your naked.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

My short history.......

Been riding 2 years, and trying to find the perfect bike.

Started on a 2004 SV650: Nice bike, but made my hands numb( might have been me or just my lack of experience)

Then 2000 VFR : Loved this bike, hands much better, smooth as silk, awesome exhaust note. Little to aggresive of riding position for me. Needed cash due to job situation and wanted to try a cruiser, so.........

1995 Honda Magna : Beautiful bike to look at, but boring to ride, and I missed the sportbike brakes and handling.

Bought 3 weeks ago........ 2006 919. What can I say I have found the perfect bike. I can find nothing wrong with this bike....... this one will stay, for a long time.

For the record, I payed $7300 + tax + fees for a NEW 2006, so you should be able to work them just a little more for one that has been registered already once......

Good Luck

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #6 of 69 Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

couldn't agree more with these previous posts but if you need more Motivation as for being able to ride some distance on this bike have a look at this post if you haven't already !! We all drooled over this trip I think!!

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1263

post #7 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Welcome aboard...:boat: You know you want the 919, go for it!

BTW: Where in NY are you from?

post #8 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Well, since you mentioned the VStrom in your first post, I figured I would chime in w/ my .02 worth. The VStrom is a great ADV touring bike. I recently did a 600 mile round trip from central N.C. through the mountains to Eastern Tenn., the only complaint I had after this ride was the seat, which seems to be the case on almost all the modern machines. The V-twin grunt and torque keep me smiling, but this is not a hooligan bike like the 919. The 919 has a torquey low end, but it is still an inline-four, and has top-end as well. I have gotten the Strom up into the rev range, but it isn't really comfortable there. I put the Givi luggage on as a top case, and w/ a 46 liter capacity, it did well for a 3 day trip w/ accessories included. I would not recommend the Strom for extensive 2-up riding. The pillion is super comfortable according to my other half, but it loses out on the powerband with a passenger and luggage. It is a hoot for my riding style, and I have already found the lean angle capability of it. Pegs tend to scrape on a 12 mile 400+ curve-filled road So, there is my opinion, and if you want more info, I will be happy to provide. Good luck on your research, and let us know what you chose.

Almost forgot, here is the Strom on last weekend's ride:

post #9 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The 919 is great fun, around town and in the twisties, and with some luggage can do a decent sport tourer imitation too. I Rode mine from ND to Ft. Collins Colorado last week, about 570 miles had a much better trip than when I usually drive in my truck. Not to mention 40 MPG vs 18 MPG

post #10 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the input everyone!

Since my original post, I've done more research on the 919 and the other bikes in my list -- Kaw Z750S, Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki SV650, and V-Strom 650.

I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty picky. And I just can't get past the looks of the V-Strom. Apologies to any V-Strom owners in here. It's obviously a fantastic bike, but its had its share of whacks from the ugly stick and the seat height is more than I would like. The Z750S gets pretty decent feedback from its owners, but it is pretty widely accepted that it's terrible for 2-up (even occasionaly), and aftermarket parts are sparse. The FZ6 owners like the bike but are not crazy about the powerband changes to the '06 (better high end, worse low end). The SV650 owners across the board say passengers hate it. This one also stands out because it is the only V in the bunch. I need to pay attention to this on test rides since I'm used to V's and not the higher revving inlines.

This all brings me back to the 919 that has been on the top of the list since Day 1. Yes, I know the 919 doesn't truly belong in this list with its larger engine but I'm a Honda lover by nature. This made me look at the 599 which led me to the 919. I've not seen a single criticism of the 919. It seems to be adaptable to nearly any application.

So I'm curious about 919:
  • passenger comfort - she is 5'5", 110 pounds for about 2-4 hours of riding at a time
  • availability of aftermarket equipment. No plan to rush into mods, but knowing a seat, shield, risers, bags, etc. are available would be nice.
  • quote from my insurance agent. I don't expect a rise in premium from the ST13, but I want to cover all the bases.

Any input on these items (or anthing else) is appreciated. I'm headed to the dealer this afternoon to look at each of these bikes but especially that '06 with 800 miles.

post #11 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
My passenger is about 120lb, 5'3" and loves riding the 919. After about an hour, we have to take a break, but she has serious back problems that make riding any bike difficult.

Tons of aftermarket stuff out there. Some of the more touring-oriented 919 owners here can give you feedback here.

If you have State Farm, expect to pay the same or less. If you have another company, you might go up or down depending on how they classify the 919. If they say it is a sportbike, expect a rise.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #12 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Thanks for the input everyone!
I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty picky. And I just can't get past the looks of the V-Strom. Apologies to any V-Strom owners in here. It's obviously a fantastic bike, but its had its share of whacks from the ugly stick and the seat height is more than I would like.
No offense taken, and there is only one Strom owner here I failed to mention the seat height, and after reading your first post, I can see why. The Strom's seat is pretty high. As for the ugly part, it's the bike everyone loves to hate, but secretly desires to own
Spoiler:
That's my story and i'm stickin' to it

post #13 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
And I just can't get past the looks of the V-Strom. Apologies to any V-Strom owners in here. It's obviously a fantastic bike, but its had its share of whacks from the ugly stick...

post #14 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post

That's quite enough out of you mister!

post #15 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
No offense taken, and there is only one Strom owner here I failed to mention the seat height, and after reading your first post, I can see why. The Strom's seat is pretty high. As for the ugly part, it's the bike everyone loves to hate, but secretly desires to own
Spoiler:
That's my story and i'm stickin' to it
You're right about that! Over on sport-touring.net there is a constant debate on form and function over the V-Strom. It's a never ending battle, but no one can dispute that it is one of the most solid, versatile, and nicely mannered bikes out there. And the mag reviews are nothing short of amazing. I'll throw a leg over one today just to be fair!

post #16 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
That's quite enough out of you mister!
...it's share of whacks :clown: from the ugly stick...

post #17 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Oh, don't suck up to RidgeRunner now. It's too late (for him).

But you can be saved from the steps of Hell. Here's how.....buy the 9er.

Your passenger will be fine. She'll need a different seat and maybe a backrest.
Mods are readily available. Just ask Mike, the MOD KING.
Insurance, can't help you. I always pay cash and only cover liability.

BTW, the traffic jam in the Strom pic above is because people always slow down to rubberneck at roadkill.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

uhm, I have a suggestion.

post #19 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Forget it Jet, the collective has already begun the assimilation. Resistance is futile. We've lost another one.

post #20 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

yeah but in a couple days I'll have a surprise just for the ADV guys, all 3 of us.

post #21 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Since I've been riding the ST13, I've had a great time on a forum devoted to ST's. Great group over there - nice place to learn and set up RTE's. Seems like you guys have a lot of fun over here too. Nice to find a good place like this.

Well I'm still doing some research but went over to the dealer today to check out all of these bikes. The 919 is on the top of the list, and I've eliminated a couple of the bikes I set out to learn about. And since he had that slightly used 919 on the floor, a test ride was in the cards. 2006, red, perfect condition, Honda shield. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nice bike Great power. That inline four sounds awesome. Really amazing handling. SO much lighter! And it fits me nicely -- comfortable ride posture (not a long ride - some highway, some back roads) so I can't say for sure), controls, pegs, cluster, are all laid out nice for my frame which made it seem familiar right out of the parking lot. I've asked the dealer to hold it for me while I check insurance premium and do a bit more review reading. I feel ready to move on from the big ST to something with less weight, a bit more spirit, less plastic, and more nimble. Am I nuts?

Most important, I gor home and described the bike and the deal I was offered and the wife said, "Why are you still here? Go buy that bike!"

post #22 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

So why are you still here?

Go get it!

post #23 of 69 Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

just go buy the 919 best bike for the money but if you have no budget have a look at this!!

jetblast may

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/pdfs/K...rochure_WR.pdf

post #24 of 69 Old 08-30-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

That BMW'r is a wicked bike but I think I'd rather go with the GT if money was no object.

Funny how new bike shopping gets a person so worked up. I could hardly fall asleep last night thinking about finalizing this deal! I have some mods to strip from the ST13 that need to go on eBay. And I'm praying that the 919 insurance isn't a fortune. Although I'm middle aged with a clean license, great credit history, own a home, yada yada yada, I still seem to get killed on bikes. My FZ1 cost me $1500 a year and I was 39 with no marks on the license at the time! I'm with Allstate now and if they aren't competitive, I'll check Progressive, Nationwide, and maybe even (gasp) Geico. Any others that are recommended? As was said above, some companies will consider this a street bike and others will classify it as a sport bike. Big difference in premium between the two...

Going back to the dealer Friday morning with the ST13 to finalize the numbers. Hoping to take delivery later that day so I can have it for the Holiday weekend!

KBB 2003 ST13 Retail: 8,315 / Trade-In: 5,765
KBB 2006 919 Retail: 6,475 / Trade-In: 4,650

He's looking to get $7200 for the '06 with 790 miles on it. There should be some wiggle room in there I would think.

post #25 of 69 Old 08-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Look at State Farm for rates. They seem to be very competitive when it comes to motorcycles.

post #26 of 69 Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Called State Farm, Progressive, Geico, and my agent which is Allstate. Asked all of them for a quote based on the same coverage - 300/100, collision, comp, 500 ded. Allstate came in lowest by quite a bit at $490 per year. Progressive was $600 and the others were not even close.

I'm going for another ride tomorrow and taking the ST with me. The only thing holding me back is making sure I can get used to (a lot) less wind protection -- it's a far cry from the giant fairing/shield of the ST to the tiny shield and open space of the 919. But eh, life is short, and you won't know til you try, right?

post #27 of 69 Old 08-31-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

yahoooooo!

Well, the dealer let me bring it home tonight for an overnight extended test drive I went out of my way today to ride twisties, back roads, city traffic, and highways all afternoon. I've owned small bikes, a Magna, an FZ1, a VN1500 and the ST13. Without a doubt, I had more fun on a motorcycle today than I've ever had. What a blast this bike is! I was doing 12' circles on my first attempts -- I bet this bike is GREAT for timed obstacle courses! So, I've called the insurance agent and told him to write it up.

I'll be taking the 919 back to the dealer tomorrow so they can register, inspect, do a 600 mile maintenance, oil, filter, wash, etc. Is there anything specifc to the bike that I should have them check?

I'll be turning in the ST tomorrow afternoon and bringing the 919 home for good. Happy times!

P.S. I'll be scouring the site for sliders. I've read about some that cause problems so any recommendations are appreciated. I also need to decide between a center stand and a rear stand. For anyone that has the center stand, does it decrease the lean angle capability at all?

post #28 of 69 Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Thumbs up Congrats

Ken... That's great news! If you can hold off a little Motovation will have the new sliders that mount to the frame with a 10 mm rod otherwise you can order a set from LOS that mount to the frame. They are in England. I prefer the Pit-Bull rear work stand over a center stand but that is just one mans opinion..

post #29 of 69 Old 09-01-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the tip on sliders. From what I've read (and seen), it looks like a good idea to hold off for the Motovation setup. Any idea when they will be ready?

Do you have an email of someone at project919? I've tried a couple times to register a new account, but it never sends the verification email and the login fails.TIA

post #30 of 69 Old 09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on sliders. From what I've read (and seen), it looks like a good idea to hold off for the Motovation setup. Any idea when they will be ready?

Do you have an email of someone at project919? I've tried a couple times to register a new account, but it never sends the verification email and the login fails.TIA
ratdog is the head honcho. Send him a email [email protected] and to cover both bases I would also PM him here.

post #31 of 69 Old 09-02-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

And here she is!

post #32 of 69 Old 09-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Lookin' good Ken... Not sure where you live in NY but if you can make it to Marcus dairy in Danbury, CT some Sun. morning that would be cool. Lots and lots of bikes there each and every Sun. Stop by and show off that new '06 of yours.

post #33 of 69 Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Purdy!

post #34 of 69 Old 09-17-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

One thousand miles and two weeks later, finally had a chance to clean it up and take some snapshots outside. Really, really like the CRG bar end mirror. Takes a little while to get used to but it's well worth it. The levers are nice too. Seems to take less effort to engage the clutch but I'm not sure why. Thanks to all the great peeps and info here! Love this bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 cb900f honda motorcycle 005.JPG (107.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 919 cb900f honda motorcycle 008.JPG (87.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 919 cb900f honda motorcycle 002.JPG (91.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 919 cb900f honda motorcycle 006.jpg (101.2 KB, 45 views)

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #35 of 69 Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Now with Satos...

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #36 of 69 Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Looking good Ken.

post #37 of 69 Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Ive just put a 1000 miles on my'06 candyapple red terrorist fighter in 3 weeks

this baby is sweet....my wife even likes the exhaust smell on my T-Shirt.
I test drove 3-4 other bikes before I bit, but I couldn't be happier now!

post #38 of 69 Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Discen

aside from what others have said, bullet proof etc. i find riding straight on this bike for more than a 1/4 mile is boring. it begs for twisties. also i find that the more i ride it the more i feel that i will never get rid of it. she's a keeper

post #39 of 69 Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmell762 View Post
aside from what others have said, bullet proof etc. i find riding straight on this bike for more than a 1/4 mile is boring. it begs for twisties. also i find that the more i ride it the more i feel that i will never get rid of it. she's a keeper
Isn't riding any bike for more than 1/4 mile in a straight line boring though?

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I had forgotten what a beautiful bike my 919 was. I got an email out of the blue from the new owner last month. He was Googling on 919 mods and found my personal web site - what are the odds? Anyway, he seemed like a really nice kid and I hope we get the chance to ride together sometime.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #40 of 69 Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Wow Ken. I never realized you only had the 919 for around a year. Interesting reading your early enthusiasm for the bike.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode