Hi. New with questions. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi. New with questions.

I'm a new rider from Secaucus, NJ, USA and am very interested in a 2005 cb 919.
It sounds like a good all around fun and easy to ride bike. I would like some pros, cons, opinions on it and this seems like the place to find a few riders with the inside scoop.

I'm specifically interested in a 2005 with 3500 miles on it. Asking price $4300.00 US dollars.

Have read many mixed reviews and am a lil confused.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! A lot of us here have 919's, search around and read some threads, we lo e 'em.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
What?

Not sure what you mean by mixed reviews.

For comfort (around town), reliability and customizability (at this price) you can't beat the 919. Period.

For price, it all depends on how popular they are in your area and the season. It can fluctuate pretty significantly.

As to whether, you, a new rider should start on a 919, you'll get differing opinions.

My thoughts: You'll grow out of a smaller bike quickly if you ride every day, but at least you'll live to grow out of it. The 919 is tame compared to other big bikes but it can still get you into serious trouble if you don't respect it or get in over your head.

No matter what, take the MSF rider course first. Then you'll know if bikes are even your thing. I know a number of people that tools the course, got their endorsement, and then never rode again.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002-919 View Post
Not sure what you mean by mixed reviews.

For comfort (around town), reliability and customizability (at this price) you can't beat the 919. Period.

For price, it all depends on how popular they are in your area and the season. It can fluctuate pretty significantly.

As to whether, you, a new rider should start on a 919, you'll get differing opinions.

My thoughts: You'll grow out of a smaller bike quickly if you ride every day, but at least you'll live to grow out of it. The 919 is tame compared to other big bikes but it can still get you into serious trouble if you don't respect it or get in over your head.

No matter what, take the MSF rider course first. Then you'll know if bikes are even your thing. I know a number of people that tools the course, got their endorsement, and then never rode again.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Pretty much what he said. An awesome all-around bike for the price. It's not great at anything but it's pretty good at a lot of things. I commute 86 miles to work on it, with a small windscreen it's comfortable for me on the highway. It's a blast on curvy backroads as well. Some people even do track days with them.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #5 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

That seems like a decent price for that bike. You should offer him $4000 cash and negotiate from there.

The interesting thing about the 919 is that it's a different bike to different people - some modify it towards touring, some more towards sport riding, and some don't modify it at all and just use if for everything.
Quite a few members on here have owned dozens of bikes, ranging from Harleys to adventure bikes, to full-on sport bikes, and everything in between - and many of them say the 919 is their favorite bike they've owned.
It's not the best in any category, but it's far from the worst. It IS a reliable, comfortable, and easy to ride bike that will provide more smiles per mile than most other bikes you'll find!

Do you have any specific concerns or questions about the bike?

Since you're a new ride, I'll echo the previous post and also recommend the MSF, and if possible, look into taking an instructional track day - not to race around the track (which IS a hell of a lot of fun!!!), but to learn valuable riding skills that the MSF won't teach you, and work on those skills in a chaos-free environment, while getting hands-on help from the control riders and instructiors.

Have fun and enjoy the 919!

post #6 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus13 View Post
I'm a new rider from Secaucus, NJ, USA and am very interested in a 2005 cb 919.
It sounds like a good all around fun and easy to ride bike. I would like some pros, cons, opinions on it and this seems like the place to find a few riders with the inside scoop.

Have read many mixed reviews and am a lil confused.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mixed reviews in terms of what ?

Usually negatives are in terms of what a 919 is not.
Past that, perhaps about the stock seat and handlebars, or maybe a rare moaning about it not having an upside down fork or linked rear.
In terms of what a 919 is, it's a very strong overall positive from the 919 community.
What other bike is happy and effective at touring, tracking, looksgood and comes with a real world passenger post and is dirt cheap to own and operate and is just about impossible to kill ?
It truly is a well executed modern day UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle, the term going back to to the late 70s).
If you want a really good all rounder, they are tough to beat.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hey Guys,
Really appreciate the help. Seems like an awesome group and I'm glad to be a new member.
I took the MSF 2 day course and am absolutely hooked. I rode a Honda 250 (shadow, I think) and left wanting to ride on something more powerful. I always pictured myself on a cruiser but liked leaning the bike so much that I think a sportier type of ride is right for me. A crotch rocket is not my style but the 919 seems like a very good compromise.
It seems like everyone that owns one feels like it's a great all-around bike.

I will contact the seller and keep you all posted. Hope to join the 919club soon.
Thanks

post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Immune

Sounds like a good deal, to me. A bit too far away, though.

Super clean , garage kept , never dropped.
3,800 miles ,that's right three thousand eight hundred.
tank bag , two helmets, joe rocket ballistic touring jacket size L, cargo net included.
center stand installed

post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks BKRMON,
That's the add I'm talking about.

Lil bit aways from TN, but close to me.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

The 919 is a great all round bike (I'm on my second one) and very forgiving, but I would not recommend you start out on one as your first bike. It's not just about learning to be tame on the throttle. It's also about being able to pick up the rest of the skills you need to survive motorcycling on the road. The 919 is sporty, but still relatively heavy which is exactly what you don't need. It's a guarantee that you will drop the bike and make other stupid mistakes in your first year. It's not a criticism, it's what happens to all of us when learning how to ride. I thought it wouldn't happen to me, but I had plenty of drops on my first bike.

The MSF gives you a good start, but it's only the most basic skills and there's a long way to go. Get yourself something lighter, cheaper, and used to learn on. I started on a SV650, but I wish I had started on a Ninja 250 or something similar. It would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.

Here's a reference to a post on why not to start out on a sport bike. Read and decide for yourself what you want to do. Whatever it is, buy the right safety gear first and then the bike.

So you want a Supersport as your 1st bike? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode