Hi from Ho Chi Minh City - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Question Hi from Ho Chi Minh City

Hi Mick here expat Aussie based in Vietnam.
Got my self a CB900F Hornet (aka 919), needs some work, misfires and stinks of petrol (gas) from exhaust, replaced fuel pressure regulator (made no difference), has an arrow 4 into 1 (low slung) system, otherwise standard.
Trouble is here it is difficult to find workshops with big bike knowhow.
some times it runs ok no stutter/misfire, other times runs like sh#t.
Any ideas on best place to start?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Hello Aussie in Ho Chi Minh, is there a power commander involved? If so maybe try removing it and see if your issues improve. If not next thing to check would be battery, make sure everything is snug in place. Most importantly make sure your ground cable under the gas tank isn't loose. Good luck!

Any pics of the bike particularly in a very Ho Chi Minh backdrop?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Hello Aussie in Ho Chi Minh, is there a power commander involved? If so maybe try removing it and see if your issues improve. If not next thing to check would be battery, make sure everything is snug in place. Most importantly make sure your ground cable under the gas tank isn't loose. Good luck!

Any pics of the bike particularly in a very Ho Chi Minh backdrop?
Hi
thanks for the suggestions, I will check it out, no power commander, the only non standard mod is the Arrow 4 into 1 exhaust.

I haven't had chance to take any interesting pics yet, but will post some when I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015a.jpg (48.7 KB, 58 views)

post #4 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #5 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Thanks

post #6 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 03:43 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Welcome to the site

post #7 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 04:14 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Mick! Great looking bike. I sounds like maybe you have a cylinder not firing. I would try to check the header temps coming out of each cylinder to see if one is cooler than the others. Might help narrow the problem.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

How's the gas quality over there?

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #9 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Howdy from California, the 919's gotta be like a monster truck in that sea of little bikes, Godzilla strolling the streets of Tokyo

Dan
post #10 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Tesserarius

am i the only one curious about his arrow 4-1 system?? haven't seen that before on this site.
pics!

post #11 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
Welcome to the site
Thanks good to find a helpful site

post #12 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Welcome Mick! Great looking bike. I sounds like maybe you have a cylinder not firing. I would try to check the header temps coming out of each cylinder to see if one is cooler than the others. Might help narrow the problem.
Thanks, I will borrow infrared gun from work and check that.

post #13 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
How's the gas quality over there?
You can get 92 and 95 RON, and it seems pretty clean, I also run a little Yamaha 135 (opened to 183) with a racing head and carbie, good fun carving through the traffic. fuel filter doesn't seem to get excessively dirty.
I only use the bigger service stations on busy roads, so as to help avoid bad fuel.

post #14 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Howdy from California, the 919's gotta be like a monster truck in that sea of little bikes, Godzilla strolling the streets of Tokyo
Hi
Yeah you certainly stand out, but there are a lot more large capacity bikes coming into Vietnam now, thanks mainly to the guys who set up the first Harley dealership here, as they lobbied the WTO, at the negotiations HD said they would oppose WTO status if the Vietnamese Government did not allow all people to obtain a big bike license.
Ducati and Kawasaki have also made a big push here, most other brands are grey imports so not well supported.
up until a year ago you had to be Police, Army or Government (forestry etc.) to be eligible for a license for a big bike (over 175cc!!), and it was very difficult for a Foreigner to get a legitimate big bike license.
Also it is illegal to ride on an overseas license (even as a temporary visitor) although I believe this is about to change.

post #15 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
am i the only one curious about his arrow 4-1 system?? haven't seen that before on this site.
pics!
Hi

I don't know much about it either, It was on the bike when I bought it, not sure if it is a backyard job?

All I can say there is very little in the way of baffles in there!

I have blown up the only pic I have, but I will take some more pics and post in the next few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0014a.jpg (188.8 KB, 35 views)

post #16 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Welcome to the site. But, you misspelled Saigon.

I'd love to be over there. We plan on visiting at some point but not sure when. It isn't a quick trip kinda deal. Really need 2-3 weeks for it.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
Welcome to the site. But, you misspelled Saigon.

I'd love to be over there. We plan on visiting at some point but not sure when. It isn't a quick trip kinda deal. Really need 2-3 weeks for it.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
As I have been living in Si Gn (proper spelling) (official name: Ho Chi Minh City) for more than 6 years I am pretty certain I know how to spell it.

look me up if you make it over 2 to 3 weeks is good for a vacation, travel up to Hanoi or from Hanoi to Saigon taking the coastal route (or inland route if more adventurous).

post #18 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Ho chi minh city? Where's that? Is that near saigon

My wife is from the delta, coconut town. I will make it there one day, but sadly not soon.

How is your Vietnamese? I like languages and have a great ear, yet find Vietnamese painful to learn.

I count to my son in Vietnamse all the time and people look at me (white guy saying weird stuff) really weird lol. Also he tends to listen to me when I use his Viet name and tell him in Vietnamese to come here. He's almost 2.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Ho chi minh city? Where's that? Is that near saigon

My wife is from the delta, coconut town. I will make it there one day, but sadly not soon.

How is your Vietnamese? I like languages and have a great ear, yet find Vietnamese painful to learn.

I count to my son in Vietnamse all the time and people look at me (white guy saying weird stuff) really weird lol. Also he tends to listen to me when I use his Viet name and tell him in Vietnamese to come here. He's almost 2.
Ti ni tiếng việt một it, It should be better but so frustrating and my ear not that good!, as you probably already know you only have to be half an octave off on the tone and all you get are blank stares from the Vietnamese

Hope to see you over here one day

post #20 of 25 Old 05-25-2015, 01:50 AM
Milites Gregarius

Hey Mick, I live in Bangkok. Still trying to figure out how to get my 919 to Thailand. I know Vietnam is a different situation, but there were a lot of cb400's imported in SEA. They are like a smaller hornet. If they can keep them running, I'm sure they can do so for the hornet. Motocambodge in Phnom Penh is a good resource for the region. Search for their Facebook page.

post #21 of 25 Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Half an octave is enough to throw anyone off regardless of language lol. I think you meant half note.

I'm fine with tones thanks to having a great ear. But when every word is 1 syllable and you can't associate the words with any other words from other languages because they almost always don't sound like anything else. For example. Me, i, mine. Closet thing I can associate it with is a drink doily... Or for me easier to remember would be the sound id make to a friend that says something stupid.

Syllables make life easy when it comes to languages. even more so when each syllable can be associated with words from English.

I want in Spanish. key air do
I want in Vietnamese. Um... The Friend does something stupid sound. Doi then moon but short and not moon like, more of a mun mon moon hybrid without being clear.

Sigh...
post #22 of 25 Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I know a bit of Spanish, but when it comes to understanding the tiniest bit of Hmong spoken by my buddy and his brother.....................................I am poob lawm .

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #23 of 25 Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyHuxtable View Post
Hey Mick, I live in Bangkok. Still trying to figure out how to get my 919 to Thailand. I know Vietnam is a different situation, but there were a lot of cb400's imported in SEA. They are like a smaller hornet. If they can keep them running, I'm sure they can do so for the hornet. Motocambodge in Phnom Penh is a good resource for the region. Search for their Facebook page.
Not sure about Thailand, but here you can import a vehicle tax free if you can prove you have owned it for a set period in your homeland and you will be expected to re export it when you leave.

Thanks for the tip PP not far from here, I have a recommendation for a guy in HCMC, so start there.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Half an octave is enough to throw anyone off regardless of language lol. I think you meant half note.

I'm fine with tones thanks to having a great ear. But when every word is 1 syllable and you can't associate the words with any other words from other languages because they almost always don't sound like anything else. For example. Me, i, mine. Closet thing I can associate it with is a drink doily... Or for me easier to remember would be the sound id make to a friend that says something stupid.

Syllables make life easy when it comes to languages. even more so when each syllable can be associated with words from English.

I want in Spanish. key air do
I want in Vietnamese. Um... The Friend does something stupid sound. Doi then moon but short and not moon like, more of a mun mon moon hybrid without being clear.

Sigh...
Ha Ha I will keep trying and of course miming, seems to get me by most of the time

post #25 of 25 Old 06-01-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
919er in Saigon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
I know a bit of Spanish, but when it comes to understanding the tiniest bit of Hmong spoken by my buddy and his brother.....................................I am poob lawm .
I struggle enough with English

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode