Hey, from Texas! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Hey, from Texas!

Introduction...right...well...I rode for about 14yrs, including 4yrs in a Road Racing club (the CMRA) doing endurance racing, 50 milers and sprints. I quit riding when when my daughter was born 7yrs ago. My new wife has always wanted to learn to ride, so we picked u a couple bikes.

I bought her a Honda Shadow 750 Spirit and I got an '07 919! Reminds me of my old CBR900RR. I can't leave anything alone, so I've already reversed the shift patern(all that time on the track...up for up, just doesn't work for me), slimmed down the rear fender junk, ditched all the turn signals in favor of black mirrors with signals and a smoke LED tail light with incorporated signals, put frame sliders on, bafflectomy on the mufflers, disabled the air box flapper and will be ordering a 17T front sprocket on Friday.

I kept ending up on this site when I search things about the 919, so it made sense to join and educate myself after my long absence.

Bikes I've owned:
'89 FZR600, '91 CBR600F2, '89 ZX-7, '91 CBR900RR, '89 ZX-11, '97 GSXR750(SRAD), '88 Hawk650GT, FZR400 with 600cc motor and YZF swing arm/rear tire(race bike), '87 Hurricane 600F1(race bike), '93 ZX-6E(race bike), '98 GSXR600(race bike), and now my beloved '07 919.

Looking forward to exploring the site!
Thanks for making a home on the web for those of us blessed with "The Sickness"!

-Jonny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Gets censored

Welcome, I moved back to FL from Mckinney thats kinda wierd. I lived on midway right behind the court house over there on Graves... I miss Mckinney

post #3 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Hey welcome to the site!!! Glad you came back to the world of riding!! Looks like your set so please continue to post and give out your experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

post #4 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome! and I love the 9er as well!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #5 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
TEXAN

Welcome, and I miss Texas dearly!!!

post #6 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
The Cripple

hey jonny, welcome!

mind telling what brand your rear intergrated turn signal unit is please? if it's clear alternatives, TRASH IT ASAP! look into getting the CUSTOMLED unit, you wont regret it. there's some videos on here if you want references.

also, where did you mount your frame sliders? if they're on the engine tab, MOVE THEM! you've come to the best site for the 919, plenty of experience and info here.

post #7 of 35 Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

brian, I love it here, too! Not too close to Dallas and not too far away...juuuuust right!

Thanks for the welcomes, y'all!

Pvster, I'm not sure the brand, but it looks like the Clear Alternative. It's an eBay special from China, so it'll probably be a better quality! Haha! It's a smoke lense, red brake lights and yellow turn signals. I'm still waiting on it to get here. What's the problem with it?

Frame sliders are on the frame with longer bolts that came in the kid, where they belong...same way my race bike was back in the day. Also an eBay special and I'm a little pissed at the tool bag that sold em to me. They are both the same length, but we know you need a longer one for the left side. I pointed out to him that the left one was safely tucked inside the engine cover and would survive any left side impact. He didn't seem to care. I put a spacer to give it another 3/4" or so, but I'll probably go to another brand like the T-Rex.

-Jonny

post #8 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #9 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Former 919er

Welcome!

post #10 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Jonny. Congrats on the new 9'er. I also have an '07 and love it.

post #11 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Welcome Jonny. Congrats on the new 9'er. I also have an '07 and love it.
Nice! Yours looks to be the same color as mine, too!

-Jonny

post #12 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Gets censored

Therers accually some good riding a little NE of you. I cant remeber the street name but its right off of 380 about 5 miles E of McKinney take a left and you get some good long twisties, enjoy I aint got shit here.

post #13 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, I had explored some back roads north of 380 back before I sold my GSXR750 almost 8yrs ago. Once my wife can ride her bike, we'll have to explore some more out there.

-Jonny

post #14 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Welcome aboard!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Pvster, I'm not sure the brand, but it looks like the Clear Alternative. It's an eBay special from China, so it'll probably be a better quality! Haha! It's a smoke lense, red brake lights and yellow turn signals. I'm still waiting on it to get here. What's the problem with it?
yeah it sounds like clear alternatives. the problem with that unit is that it just simply isn't bright enough to do an decent job. it looks great when you stand 4 feet back looking directly into it as the leds are very directional, but the second you stand back 50 feet you cant see it for shit, and that's just the brake light alone with a clear lens. the smoke makes it worse.

here is a link to post # 266 with the CUSTOMLED unit with the clear lens as well as the stock lens. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...t-26695-7.html

and here is a video of a different bike comparing the clear alternatives unit to the customled unit. same principle applies to the 919: Custom LED Integrated Tail Lights vs. Clear Alternatives Tail Light - YouTube

yes the customled is expensive, but it is VERY worth it. i can see the brake light while using the stock red housing reflected off of the back of signs ~400 feet away, more than the oem lights to begin with and the clear alternatives i got maybe 50 feet at most.

Quote:
Frame sliders are on the frame with longer bolts that came in the kit, where they belong...They are both the same length, but we know you need a longer one for the left side. I pointed out to him that the left one was safely tucked inside the engine cover and would survive any left side impact. He didn't seem to care. I put a spacer to give it another 3/4" or so, but I'll probably go to another brand like the T-Rex.
dont go with T-rex you might have similar issues. go with a major brand such as motivation or get crash bars.

post #16 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Steve

Welcome, good to see another Texan join up. My sis lives in Mckinney, I'm right around the corner in Mesquite. Enjoy the site, lots of good people and info.

Steve

post #17 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome!

As far as the Clear Alternatives vs. CustomeLED integrated taillight, see my youtube channel for my install of the CustomeLED unit.

It's VERY bright.

g00gl3it's Channel - YouTube

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Welcome!

As far as the Clear Alternatives vs. CustomeLED integrated taillight, see my youtube channel for my install of the CustomeLED unit.

It's VERY bright.

g00gl3it's Channel - YouTube
Did you ever think about making turn signals from Mountain Dew bottles?

post #19 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Did you ever think about making turn signals from Mountain Dew bottles?
Only if it's Voltage. That's the only color that really fits my 9'er,

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #20 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
mind telling what brand your rear intergrated turn signal unit is please? if it's clear alternatives, TRASH IT ASAP! look into getting the CUSTOMLED unit

also, where did you mount your frame sliders? if they're on the engine tab, MOVE THEM!
pshhh dont tell him what to do. he's like the honey badger. he'll do what he wants. he don't give a fuck. (youtube video if you dont get the joke) LOL I know your just helping by giving him the info run down. I'm just busting your balls.

I also cut out a few things in the quote. lol

post #21 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
The Cripple

yeah i dont sugar coat things well so i come across as a bit harsh even when not intending (which is most of the time. i just say it as frank as possible because a. its a part of who i am and b. its a part of the Deaf culture that has become a part of me. hearing folks are so subtle about things ALL the time, part of the english language and part of american culture.

post #22 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
yeah i dont sugar coat things well so i come across as a bit harsh even when not intending (which is most of the time. i just say it as frank as possible because a. its a part of who i am and b. its a part of the Deaf culture that has become a part of me. hearing folks are so subtle about things ALL the time, part of the english language and part of american culture.
Ah, don't *listen* to him.

Ha. Ha...

Seriously, though, I ride behind Osiris' bike (he has the clear alternatives with stock lens) and I can hardly tell when he brakes. If I were looking into the sun or something, it would be nigh impossible to tell. I'd be worried about blue hairs behind me on a stop like that.

I'll have to get together with him and see if we can get a better comparison video out there...

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #23 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:

haha. tell it how it is. that's respectable.That's why your one of my favorite people on this forum. That and you helped get the custom led tail light off the ground.

post #24 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Pierre-Marc

welcome to the forum

I also agree...buy the CustomLED

post #25 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
haha. tell it how it is. that's respectable.That's why your one of my favorite people on this forum. That and you helped get the custom led tail light off the ground.
how'd i help? you're the one that got the ball rolling and rmb (i think?) sent the tailight in to speed up the process. props to YOU and rm for getting that deal worked out!

post #26 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Pvster, I appreciate the advice. I'm new to this bike, so all info is good info, like what's the point of the Pairs valve block off? Why drill and tap the frame for sliders... Is the block tab and frame tab snapping when people fall over with it through there instead? Which flyscreen or cowling looks good out there and will knock he wind off my chest? What headlight upgrade can I do so I can actually see at night/early morning?

Guess I'll plug in the tail light when it gets here and see if it's any good... No way to boost the power output? Radio shack is right up the street and I already paid for this one...

-Jonny

PS: My Mom has been an interpreter for the deaf for the last 28yrs or so, so I get what you mean about a different view on life. I'm cool with direct. I'm a natural born smart-ass and you gotta be able to "take it" as much as I dish it out, so the skin is thick! ;-)

post #27 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Princeps Prior

pvster, you were one of the first few buyers we needed to actually get the tail light developed.

as for jonny

The pairs valve is just about useless. removing it helps with popping during engine braking with after market exhaust.

Sliders on the frame: If you mount them on the engine, during a digger that tab will snap. The frame is much better and stronger. If you buy motovation sliders, they come with a stainless steel threaded rod to go through that frame tube.

not sure about a windscreen

Headlight upgrade: buy a 599 headlight. 2 bulbs in it. Everyone seems to love them which is why it is hard to find a used one. New ones are pricey. I had the dominator dual headlights on my last bike and LOVED them in terms of look on my fazer and light output. I don't think they go too well on a 919. but thats just my opinion.

tail light: there is no way to boost the light output on the CA tail light. You could buy a clear lense. That would help. I bet you could sell the CA tail light on ebay and get some of your money back to buy a custom led one.

"I'm a natural born smart-ass and you gotta be able to "take it" as much as I dish it out, so the skin is thick! ;-)"

I like this guy already haha

post #28 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
The Cripple

hey jonny, that's wicked cool about your mom! tell her i said kudos/props!

boogun pretty much nailed it. if the bike goes down on it's side and the slider catches on something, the tab on the engine will most likely break. there are pictures on the site of this happening. you definitely want to move them up to the frame at the very least.

as for the clear alt unit, i'm gonna just lay it straight. it's trash. i'm sorry. it's just trash. keep the lens but the led board itself is junk.

i "hear" ya about the smart-assness... i'm the same way myself. people are far too serious in life and react to things without thinking. watch out for google....

post #29 of 35 Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
pvster, you were one of the first few buyers we needed to actually get the tail light developed.

as for jonny

The pairs valve is just about useless. removing it helps with popping during engine braking with after market exhaust.

Sliders on the frame: If you mount them on the engine, during a digger that tab will snap. The frame is much better and stronger. If you buy motovation sliders, they come with a stainless steel threaded rod to go through that frame tube.

not sure about a windscreen

Headlight upgrade: buy a 599 headlight. 2 bulbs in it. Everyone seems to love them which is why it is hard to find a used one. New ones are pricey. I had the dominator dual headlights on my last bike and LOVED them in terms of look on my fazer and light output. I don't think they go too well on a 919. but thats just my opinion.

tail light: there is no way to boost the light output on the CA tail light. You could buy a clear lense. That would help. I bet you could sell the CA tail light on ebay and get some of your money back to buy a custom led one.

"I'm a natural born smart-ass and you gotta be able to "take it" as much as I dish it out, so the skin is thick! ;-)"

I like this guy already haha
Good info, thanks! Re the tail light, CURSES! Maybe I'll get lucky and the Chinese just stole the idea, but put good LEDs in??? Worst case, I'll rock the stocker and some flush mounts some place till I have cash to burn as I need a tank bag, a new lid(Snell '05...a bit expired) and something to get the wind off me.

I'm kinda a cheap ass...I'll most likely buy bolts and drill/tap the frame and use a spacer for the left side to give me another inch of protection. I have full covge, so worse comes to worse, Nationwide is on my side...only...I think I have State Farm...

For the headlight, are there any good projectors out there? I may just carve up something squinty and weld up a sub frame for it, throw some projectors in it and call it Jonnyfide! Then again, I have some fiberglass resin I could play with...

-Jonny

post #30 of 35 Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

HOWDY!
post #31 of 35 Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Hello and welcome! I'm in Allen, and it's nice to have another north Texan on the board.

I'm sporting the Custom LED tail light, so if you wanna see it in action, I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of the house/show off its awesomeness.

post #32 of 35 Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Lucille, that sounds good! I'll be free tomorrow before the Super Bow, after lunch till around 3:30 ish, if you're up for a cruise. I'll PM you my e-mail that goes to my phone.

Just ordered a black drag handlebar and 17t counter shaft sprocket!

Moved my sliders to the frame today...drilled and tapped it, no problemo. Thanks for the tip, y'all...

-Jonny

post #33 of 35 Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Jonny- missed this thread earlier. I'm down here in North Dallas/Richardson/Plano area and I've got a highly effective HID setup in my 919 (among other things) if you want to check it out. I have been recovering from a recent wreck (avoid 635 during construction) and just finished repairing it so it's good to go if you want to see it. Welcome to the forum.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #34 of 35 Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

CB, I may have some free time this week. I'll PM you my number. Wed or Thurs night I may be free and after my 13mile run on Sunday, I should have some time.
Thanks!
-Jonny

post #35 of 35 Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Good info, thanks! Re the tail light, CURSES! Maybe I'll get lucky and the Chinese just stole the idea, but put good LEDs in??? Worst case, I'll rock the stocker and some flush mounts some place till I have cash to burn as I need a tank bag, a new lid(Snell '05...a bit expired) and something to get the wind off me.

I'm kinda a cheap ass...I'll most likely buy bolts and drill/tap the frame and use a spacer for the left side to give me another inch of protection. I have full covge, so worse comes to worse, Nationwide is on my side...only...I think I have State Farm...

For the headlight, are there any good projectors out there? I may just carve up something squinty and weld up a sub frame for it, throw some projectors in it and call it Jonnyfide! Then again, I have some fiberglass resin I could play with...

-Jonny
Welcome !!!

Drill and tap the frame where the plastic cover snaps into a hole.
A cross piece of ready rod also works, but strikes me as being a wee bit bush league, to say nothing of weighing more.
The engine tabs can break because the frame mounting tab is laterally flexible by design, and not anything remotely near being rigid in terms of resisting lateral loads.

PAIR is nothing more than a simple, crude, reasonably effective, pollution control system.
All is does is introduce airbox filtered air into the exhaust port to enable some post cylinder combustion of unburned fuel, and possibly also some carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide conversion.

Both of you to have lots of safe fun riding, but be sure to get the odd rush !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode