• 1 Post By marylandmike
  • 1 Post By Mark919
  • 1 Post By CB700S

post #1 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
WxN
Itís 9:19 somewhere.

Garage
Hello from Maine. New guy, here.

2002, 919, 7200 miles. Just purchased. I've put 100 miles on it so far. I have the "out of adjustment too soon" 1500-block production swingarm, at the end of its limit... 17t / 43 need to make it 112 link. Or go 17/44 - maybe both?? Forks are raised 7.5mm (24.5)į nice little Givi A770 windshield fairing. Corbin seat- though prefer stocker.. So far, so good, as far as exhaust smell.
marylandmike likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome and congrats on the 919. Great bike and 7200 miles is a drop in the bucket. Enjoy and ride safe!
mcromo44 likes this.

post #3 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Thank you, Sir. I will certainly enjoy. I have had my eye on the venerable 919 for over a decade now. This one showed up with no damage, and low miles- 15 minutes from home. (A rare treat in Downeast Maine. 4 hours, one way, is more common)... I was looking for a 04+ for the suspension, but for the condition, thought I'd take a chance. The soft suspension is actually welcome on the roads around here. They are laughable. I'm just cruising around so... it serves me well enough for now. Safe travels to you as well!
mcromo44 likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 PM
McTavish

Welcome aboard!
Also, with such low mileage, perhaps the bike has been stored from time to time and missed some riding seasons?
Any rust on the chain?
Totally used up by 7200 miles is suggestive of some form of abuse.

post #5 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 PM
919 Rider

Welcome.
I got me a 2002 model as well. They're the best, went downhill after that. Haha!

post #6 of 18 Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Short riding seasons and lots of storage. It spent a lot of it's life on the center stand, under cover, in a heated garage. The fella who sold it bought it new and used it to commute in town to work and went for an occasional longer loop somewhere. It is very clean... With the exception of the chain and sprockets... they were caked in crud. I cleaned them up and they looked good and felt good. No rust. There are some surface imperfections on a few of the outside plates, but I can see reflections of my garage in the links as I spin the wheel. It spins with no resistance. Ten links measure 6.250 on the button. Sprockets look nice very square and not worn to speak of. But... a quick glance at the chain length gauge says the chain needs to be replaced and the adjusters are ~2 threads from buried.
I assumed, dangerous, and probably wrong, that with my serial number, 609, being early in production number it was just one of the 112 link candidates. If that is even a thing... there seemed to be some speculation in some other posts.. I jumped to that conclusion when I found the front sprocket to be a 17 already. It is hard to measure the freeplay when it makes contact with the swingarm. It seems to do so easily though. Granted, I am not on the bike when checking. Is that required? It is on the side stand though. It seems like the chain is too good to "need replacing". And if I did- another 114 would put me right where I am now as this one measures spot on.

post #7 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 12:10 AM
Pilus Posterior

You can't really go by the gauge on the swing arm adjustment, IMO. You need to look at the chain itself. I just did the 520 17/44 conversion and I had the choice of long or short, by one link. I picked short and it seems to have worked out fine.

Here's one way of checking the condition of the chain: Pull the chain at the 3:00 position on the rear sprocket. That show you how much wear you have on just a few links. Notice how much movement there is in just ONE link in this video? Also note how you can see the base of the sprocket when it's pulled. This was my chain before the new chain.

As far as gears go, I went 17/44 and it makes 1st gear smoother, but you notice the loss of torque all thru the gears. I'm going down to 16 on the front. It really depends on your riding style, I tend to be aggressive.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 06:04 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!
WxN likes this.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Thanks for the video, Karl. It passed the 3 o'clock pull test. First was up and down movement check. The second, I pulled back until my fingers slipped.
https://youtu.be/t_IZ5fZyJ4E
I still have the rest of the sprocket to clean as you can see.. but the chain should have plenty of miles left in it. I just need to get it back into the functional adjustment range.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxN View Post
Thanks for the video, Karl. It passed the 3 o'clock pull test. First was up and down movement check. The second, I pulled back until my fingers slipped.
https://youtu.be/t_IZ5fZyJ4E
I still have the rest of the sprocket to clean as you can see.. but the chain should have plenty of miles left in it. I just need to get it back into the functional adjustment range.
Glad to help, that's why we're all here. I've had many problems this year alone as I've done over 11,000 miles this year. New chain/sprocket, brakes, tires, clutch, cable and nearly destroyed my bike over a stuck thermostat.

I really didn't know how to check the chain, but the 3:00 pull test removes all but a few links and so you see the effect on just a few links.

There's a number of posts on cleaning. When I removed the chain, I did the "swing arm bolt swap". This makes it easy to remove that cover piece so that you can remove the chain and soak it. Soaking the chain in kerosene seems to be a preferred way of cleaning it.

The swing arm bolt swap is basically raising the bike, removing the nut/bolt at the pivot point of the swing arm, and then pushing the bolt thru the other way. This allows you to remove the nut and a few other bolts so that the cover part comes off of the left side. Once the cover is off the left side, you can remove the chain as one piece and clean/soak/lube it and scrub sprockets. You can also have a shop set a new chain when you need one if you don't want to set your own chain. If you do the swap, some fresh lube on the bolt is a good idea.

post #11 of 18 Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

John, Welcome to the group. You'll find lots of good reference here and lots of helpful folks to bounce questions off.
With such low miles your chain may have lots of miles left in it and it looks pretty good. I also have an early 2002 and I found when I tried a 17 tooth front sprocket that the change to the larger sprocket took up all of what seemed to be a chain at it's adjustment limits. If your chain seems to be at the adjustment limits then maybe you have the original 16 tooth front. (I actually didn't like the 17T front and went back to a 16T.) Most folks agree that the chain should be adjusted at the high end of it's play and per the manual's methods.

Enjoy your new bike! I think they are "keepers"!

post #12 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
WxN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Glad to help, that's why we're all here. I've had many problems this year alone as I've done over 11,000 miles this year. New chain/sprocket, brakes, tires, clutch, cable and nearly destroyed my bike over a stuck thermostat.
11,000 miles is a great riding year! Glad to hear you caught the overheat in time. Running as cool as they typically do, did this problem show itself pretty quickly?

When changing swing arm bolt direction, aside from wheel off the ground, does everything else remain intact? E.g. just drive out the unloaded swing arm bolt, reverse, lube, and reinstall / re-torque? That seems pretty straightforward.

I turned the fuel light on for the first time today. I filled up about 5 miles later, it took 3.7xx gal. So I wondered if the last 1.2 gallons is usable, and the light means maybe.. 40 miles max. Or what amount remains as ďusableĒ gas. Have you experimented with pushing the fuel light. Not that I am a fan of low fuel levels. (No need to tempt the fuel filter gods), but more in terms of ďlight comes on in an unknown land- how far before Iím stranded?Ē It seems many go by the 120 and fill up method, but again, this is really for emergency knowledge...
Thanks for any insight.

...11,000 miles. Jealous, in a very happy for you, way. <thumbs up>

post #13 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
John, Welcome to the group. You'll find lots of good reference here and lots of helpful folks to bounce questions off...

Enjoy your new bike! I think they are "keepers"!
Thank you and I could not agree more. Keepers indeed.

So, as an early 02 owner, how many links did you find worked best for you? Do you run out of adjustment early with 114? 16/43 or 17/44 or.. I did a short 30 mile gps run today with 17/43 and found the speedo AND odo agree with the gps.. seemed too good to be true, so I hope to do a nice even 100 mile sometime soon.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I turned the fuel light on for the first time today. I filled up about 5 miles later, it took 3.7xx gal. So I wondered if the last 1.2 gallons is usable, and the light means maybe.. 40 miles max. Or what amount remains as ďusableĒ gas. Have you experimented with pushing the fuel light. Not that I am a fan of low fuel levels. (No need to tempt the fuel filter gods), but more in terms of ďlight comes on in an unknown land- how far before Iím stranded?Ē It seems many go by the 120 and fill up method, but again, this is really for emergency knowledge...
Thanks for any insight.

...11,000 miles. Jealous, in a very happy for you, way. <thumbs up>
My low fuel light quit working about 50K miles ago. At 160 miles I start looking for gas, but I have gone nearly 200 miles between fill ups, but I don't push those limits too often.
WxN likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
So, as an early 02 owner, how many links did you find worked best for you? Do you run out of adjustment early with 114? 16/43 or 17/44 or.. I did a short 30 mile gps run today with 17/43 and found the speedo AND odo agree with the gps.. seemed too good to be true, so I hope to do a nice even 100 mile sometime soon.
John, I've stayed with the 114 link 16/43 combination and, after ~ 12,000 miles on this chain, I'm nearly at the end of adjustment - but I'm not there yet and I'm good with that. It may not look the best with the adjuster way back but there are not operational issues with that. And I do run the chain at the loose end of adjustment. I find when you adjust to the loose side of spec that the chain very seldom needs adjustment at all. I likely will change next season when I get to 15,000 miles or so.
With the 17t/43 combo and the 114 chain I was pretty much in the middle of the adjustment range. I agree that it's nice that the speedo is more accurate with the 17t.
I didn't like the 17t but some of that dislike was due to the added chain noise (without the rubber bumper pads). But now I always ride with ear plugs so I may put the 17t back on and see how it feels...
WxN likes this.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Quote:
Thank you and I could not agree more. Keepers indeed.

To add a datapoint, I have an 02 in the 15XX serial number range and it is emphatically a 112 link bike. If I put a 114 link chain on it, I literally cannot get chain tension correct - the axle hits the back of the swingarm slot long before the chain gets into a usable range.
WxN likes this.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #17 of 18 Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
To add a datapoint, I have an 02 in the 15XX serial number range and it is emphatically a 112 link bike. If I put a 114 link chain on it, I literally cannot get chain tension correct - the axle hits the back of the swingarm slot long before the chain gets into a usable range.
I like data. This 02, S/N: 0609, is a 112. If I put the axle anywhere but full rear, I’ll have a hammock.

I feel like I read the earlier 919 had the stiffer suspension. Was that to include the front? I get some pretty good sag up front. I commented earlier about my first impression, and the soft suspension seeming to work well for me. Then after reading a few posts, I felt like my impression was supposed be “like riding a steel beam, pogo stick, buckboard...”

Digging data, as I do, I had to check where I was at.. it looks to be a bit soft. I weigh 155-165. Would preload spacers be recommended, or preload caps, or both? Maybe a good ol’ 17 year interval fork service? There is a little stiction when going down and coming up off side stand. Not too bad and the Ldiff (Length difference) I measured was within tolerance.. I have not ridden with a zip tie yet to see how much I’m even using. Maybe I should start there... It’s not a problem now, but if it becomes one, I doubt it will pick the opportune time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg (112.3 KB, 15 views)

post #18 of 18 Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Just a few pictures from the day I brought it home. Itís only been a week. Iím still excited. New tires and chain link removal tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.jpg (162.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0052.jpg (205.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (279.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (220.4 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode