Hello All - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Hello All

Well I am new to the forum and new to hondas. I currently have a 1992 Suzuki Katana 750 and plan on picking up a New Uranium Green 2004 Honda 919. The bike is new, has sat on the sale room floor since the day it has rolled out of the crate. I can't wait.

I got couple questions for you guys. What should I look for before I sign my name on the dotted line? Flat spots on tires? Rust in tank? other issues that should be addressed before I leave with it.

Also when is the first service due, so maybe i can negotiate the in the price as well if it is at 600 miles or so?

What about break in period? 1000 miles?

And lastly price. Bike has less than 2 miles and is new, just been sitting. They have it tagged at 6700, but i was going to try and low ball them around 5500. YOu guys think lower, or higher?

Thanks guys, and I look forward to my stay at wrist Twisters!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Hi! And welcome to the forum! You couldn't have picked a better place! Lots of 919 owners here too so pull up a chair.

Here's a pretty decent checklist of stuff to look for on a new bike: http://www.motorcycleinfo.calsci.com...e.html#NewBike The big things I would check out are battery (in fact, after sitting that long, I would insist on a new one), tires, cables, gas, lights, brakes.

First service is at 600 miles and it's mostly to check brakes and that all fittings are still tight. The owner's manual is a worthwhile investment. They can be had on eBay for about $30. There are electronic versions available too - PM me if you want a link.

Break in period - a couple different trains of thought on this - ride it hard, fast OR take it easy for the first thousand miles or so. Here's a good page on break-in philosophies courtesy of our own Lord Duckhunter: http://www.919.org/breakin.htm

Price - it's a new/old bike and it's not likely they have people lined up for it. And the season is past the half way point in your area. They're not going to take a loss on it, but should be motivated to sell it. I'd start at $5700 and expect they would meet me somewhere around the 6K mark. Don't let them barter with the extended warranty -- on established bikes like this one, they are generally not worth it. However, if you need gear, maybe they will toss some stuff at you for cost.

Good luck with the buy and welcome aboard!!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Howdy.

What Ken said.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Let us know how the your deal plays out. Welcome aboard.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yo

post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

welcome and enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode