Got a 919 as a Commuter - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By brannon32
  • 1 Post By ewmin3m

post #1 of 20 Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Got a 919 as a Commuter

Been lurking for a couple months in anticipation of buying a 2007 Hornet. Purchased from a dealership in Texas and had it shipped to California a couple of weeks ago. Have taken in out on a couple weekend rides and put about 500 miles on it so far. Love the pep in the midrange. Purpose of buying the bike in the first place was to have a solid commuter. My other bike is a 2018 Triumph Scrambler and the maintenance on that thing makes my wallet cry after doing 60 miles each day for my commute and putting 12,000 miles on it in 10 months. I thought a reliable Japanese bike would be easier to maintain and cost less in mechanics fees (when necessary.)

Going through a dance with Ca. DMV about registering the bike (has 18,000 miles.) Emissions 49-state emissions sticker wasnít on the bike because it came with a Sargent seat. Loving the seat, but dealing with DMV is a pain in the butt.

Purchases so far have been new clutch and brake levers, Givi A603 windscreen, Nelson Rigg tail bag, and height-adjustable foot pegs (yet to arrive) from Wild Hare Accessories. Trying not to spend too much on accessories - my Street Scrambler has run the savings account dry - but do want to get some heated grips to ride through the winter here.

Looking forward to learning from the travails of others as well as the general knowledge of riders and tinkerers more experienced than myself.

voodooridr, LDH and badmoon692008 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-30-2018, 01:32 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #3 of 20 Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 AM
Princeps Prior

Great looking bike, didn't know the DMV stickers were on the seat, I'll have to look at mine.

I've got the 06 and I thought the 07 had chrome over the speedo/tach.

One thing about the commute is the "buzzy" motor, there's a kit known as the 17/44 chain kit the drops the freeway RPM down a bit for freeway commuting.

I'd like to see those height-adjustable foot pegs when you get them. I get muscle crams in my shifting leg and being a bit lower would really help. Those seem a bit pricey, I might try to make one if they are pretty simple.

post #4 of 20 Old 10-30-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Great looking bike, didn't know the DMV stickers were on the seat, I'll have to look at mine.

One thing about the commute is the "buzzy" motor, there's a kit known as the 17/44 chain kit the drops the freeway RPM down a bit for freeway commuting.

I'd like to see those height-adjustable foot pegs when you get them. I get muscle crams in my shifting leg and being a bit lower would really help. Those seem a bit pricey, I might try to make one if they are pretty simple.

Curious to hear what you find about the location of your emissions sticker. Iíd appreciate it if you can tell me where itís located on your bike. Previous owner of my 919 did some mods without thinking of California laws.

Once I get the adjustable pegs mounts (they said about four weeks for delivery,) Iíll post some info. Goal is to to be able to ride the long, straight sections of I5 and 80 in comfort and then raise the pegs to have fun when I get to the twisties.

post #5 of 20 Old 10-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannon32 View Post
Curious to hear what you find about the location of your emissions sticker. Iíd appreciate it if you can tell me where itís located on your bike. Previous owner of my 919 did some mods without thinking of California laws.

Once I get the adjustable pegs mounts (they said about four weeks for delivery,) Iíll post some info. Goal is to to be able to ride the long, straight sections of I5 and 80 in comfort and then raise the pegs to have fun when I get to the twisties.
I didn't even know my bike had an emissions sticker

The DMV I went to didn't even ask for smog or any other inspection, but mine was previously from California, so maybe it's only when it 1st comes to California.

Maybe someone else as "imported" a 49 states bike into California and know the process, but sounds like a pain.

post #6 of 20 Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 PM
The Instigator

I don't think there' a better commuter available, I love how it doesn't get even remotely hot in traffic.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #7 of 20 Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM
Centurion

The sticker is not on the seat. It is on the main frame backbone (on the top of the tube) under the tank. Lift up the gas tank to see it.

post #8 of 20 Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
The sticker is not on the seat. It is on the main frame backbone (on the top of the tube) under the tank. Lift up the gas tank to see it.
I was thinking the seat would be a stupid place to put a required sticker give that it's so easy to change out.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Centurion

Garage
Nice ride, Loving those CF Tri-yoshis
brannon32 likes this.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-02-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
I was thinking the seat would be a stupid place to put a required sticker give that it's so easy to change out.

Iím in agreement with you about the seat being a dumb place for the emissions sticker... but under the gas tank?!?! Why make it so difficult to read a series of digits?

post #11 of 20 Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:

Youíre right about the gauge case cover being silver. Mine looks to have been spray painted after a slide. Bought another one on eBay and going to spray paint it black because Iím not a fan of shiny plastic. A good rainy day project for this winter.

Thanks for the sprocket tip. My commute is only 30 miles each way, so the buzz is bearable. Did 200 miles on Saturday and realized that itís really only noticeable between 70-80 mph. Anything lower or higher and itís not really much of an issue.

post #12 of 20 Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Nice ride, Loving those CF Tri-yoshis

Sometimes I get self-conscious about the volume, but I get such a huge smile from listening to them when I go from 60-90 mph in about two seconds flat.

post #13 of 20 Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Centurion

Garage
Let me know if you want to sell, i'm actively looking for a used tri CF yoshi

Quote:
Sometimes I get self-conscious about the volume, but I get such a huge smile from listening to them when I go from 60-90 mph in about two seconds flat.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
If they're too loud they likely need to be repacked. When I had them on my bike they went from being far too quiet for my taste to too loud even with the db reducers in in around 15k miles...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #15 of 20 Old 11-21-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Thanks for the help on the emissions sticker all. Iím kind of stunned that the sticker would be under the gas tank. Itís not the most convenient thing to ride to the DMV and then remove the tank in the parking lot - likely spilling some gas - so they can see that itís environmentally compliant.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Centurion

Bring a set of 10mm wrenches. Loosen the bolt under the seat then slide the tank back until it stops. Then the tank hinges up (but you have to keep hold of it) & no lines get disconnected.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Very good looking 919 you have there! Congratulations.

My '02 was used for commuting 110 miles a day five days a week for a year in completely stock trim with the exception of narrower bars I made and it took to it like no other bike I have ever owned. In fact, there is a stretch of the 405 on the way to Long Beach where I regularly exceeded 100 MPH, and the average 65 to 105 time was in the region of two and a half seconds.

From the large number of sliders in view I'd say the previous owner was obsessive about protecting the bike, but I have one question: where are the sliders in front of the engine mounted? it's difficult to tell from the photo. If they are bolted to the engine mount tabs remove them immediately!!! If this is the case there is a high probability that even a low speed tip over could break the crankcase, necessitating replacing the engine. Do a search for front slider location for more details. Gotta keep as many 919's on the road as possible.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Very good looking 919 you have there! Congratulations.

My '02 was used for commuting 110 miles a day five days a week for a year in completely stock trim with the exception of narrower bars I made and it took to it like no other bike I have ever owned. In fact, there is a stretch of the 405 on the way to Long Beach where I regularly exceeded 100 MPH, and the average 65 to 105 time was in the region of two and a half seconds.

From the large number of sliders in view I'd say the previous owner was obsessive about protecting the bike, but I have one question: where are the sliders in front of the engine mounted? it's difficult to tell from the photo. If they are bolted to the engine mount tabs remove them immediately!!! If this is the case there is a high probability that even a low speed tip over could break the crankcase, necessitating replacing the engine. Do a search for front slider location for more details. Gotta keep as many 919's on the road as possible.

Rob
Really appreciate the advice. I took a look at the sliders and they are indeed engine-mounted. I had read precautions against this in the past, but didn't think to associate the issue with my bike. Removal of those will be on the top of the list this coming weekend. I could see how a simple garage tip-over could do some damage as they are. Bad engineering or people just making stuff for the sake of selling it? After removal, I'll do some research as to the best location for some engine-guards if I decide to go that route.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Popped up the tank the other day and there was no sticker. Likely removed when the bike was painted by previous owner.

As a general update for anyone who reads this in the future, I called Honda customer support and the gentleman on the phone had an official Honda letter mailed to me within the week stating that the bike meets the 49-state emissions levels (not California.) He also kindly coached me through some terminology to use with DMV. Kudos to Honda customer support for having such helpful people on their end.

California DMV has had my paperwork for two months now, but a field officer did extend my temporary sticker for another two months while they get everything back to me. That paperwork, combined with the letter from Honda and an in-person walk-around of the bike by a DMV field officer is supposed to make it Ca. legit.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Centurion

This is an example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag.JPG (81.7 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode