From Spain and in Love with my 919! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool From Spain and in Love with my 919!

Hella all,
Great Forum! nothing similar here in SPAin. Congrats

I’m an old biker (57), but still a very active one; and a bit of a hoarder. I’ve always had BMW (more than a dozen). Now only 2 and still thinking of getting rid of them. Living between Madrid and Paris, I have a R1150GS in Paris and a R100CS (an old classic) in madrid. Also have a Guzzi 1000 and a Yamaha 600....but my mechanic, after hearing me bickering about BMW prices, forced me to buy a 2003 919 Hornet...and it was love at first sight.

Not only spares a cheap but the bike does everything fine. It may not be as much fun as de R1150GS in mountain roads, It may not be as classy as the R100CS but it’s definitely the best bike I’ve ever had (for me).

The only thing is that I would like to improve it. The front forks are “cheap”, and it’s breaking power isn’t great. I’ve heard that the are easy to do alternatives to swap the fork. It would have to be an easy swap, but I’m sure some of you have done it,
Any Advise?

Any alternatives for the rear end?

I’m a passionate biker and I love mountain roads...and you can’t imagine the feeling when you take of your helmet in the summit of a nearby mountain here in MAdrid (the green cross / la cruz verde) after having previously passed a group of rich kids with their shinny ducatis and last model Yamaha’s or Hondas and they realize that an old bald man in an old Honda has passed them...showing them how to take a curve!

The problem is that the forks & brakes aren’t the best and I’ve had a couple of close ones...so I need an urgent upgrade. It’s not that I go too fast, as the mountain is very twisty, but the fork and brake package can’t handle the motor... I suppose once I have dealt with front problems then I will hace to deal with the rear...but thats no as urgent. Also, I have the impression that the chasis can handle much more. I haven’t had any shimmies at 220 km/hour...and don’t intend to go faster...to many radars in Europe!

As a non expert mechanic, I would need as much details as possible. If there is a complete package that could be swaped (forks, yokes, wheel and calipers) it would be great...
Thanking you guys in advance,
From Spain, federico

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Welcome to the forum!!!!! Glad to have you aboard.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
McTavish

Great to see you aboard!

post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

I would like to improve it.

As a non expert mechanic, I would need as much details as possible. If there is a complete package that could be swaped (forks, yokes, wheel and calipers) it would be great...
Thanking you guys in advance,
From Spain, federico
Rest assured, we can help you use some of your Euros and time to make it much better in your requested areas of improvement.
The 919 is a good platform to build upon for what you are looking for.
Your written English is excellent, but we need to remember to avoid using slang, jargon and vernacular in return.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Optio

Garage
Welcome aboard! The easiest and least expensive upgrades are to upgrade the forks to 2004+ forks and replace the fork springs with Racetech springs and if you want to replace the valves, they also make them. So does Ohlins. There is plenty on this forum that walks you through, step by step. Easy work. The extreme route is to swap an RC51 front end, but that is an expensive proposition. For brakes, first I would recommend Honda brake pads. Second, I have read a lot about guys swapping calipers from a 954. It is a direct fit but also needs the master cylinder and longer brake lines. I would go with steel lines. Finally, the rear suspension is awful. Upgrade to Ohlins or Penske.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Tirone

Garage
I can +1 the suggestion from bartsitarski to upgrade to 2004+ forks. I picked up a 2007 model, stock everything, about a month ago and the front doesn't feel spongy at all (and it's adjustable). I'm surprised to hear complaints about the brakes though; most of the reviews I read stated that the brakes were excellent.

Admittedly it's my first motorcycle, so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to - so don't necessarily take my comments for indisputable fact.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 05:05 PM
919 Rider

Yes to fork swap. I own an 02 and swapped them out for 04. The 04 don't need to be perfect as you can just swap internals.
Yes to getting the right fork springs for your weight and bike setup. I did the rear spring first and thought I'd be right on the stock fork springs. But 6 months later I thought what the hell it's only $100 for fork springs. I got correct weight springs for my setup and it has transformed the bike as much as the rear spring did. Fantastic compliance. No more pogo stick/rocking horse.
I still have stock brakes and lines. I don't mind them at all. I'm not an aggressive rider. Rear brake doesn't bite very hard. I will upgrade to stainless lines one day. Maybe Venhill. You have a good choice in brake lines in europe. Stick with honda brake pads. They're the best!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode