Ciao from Naples... Italy, not Florida - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Cool Ciao from Naples... Italy, not Florida

Ciao ragazzi,
I am Bjorn, a German guy, grown up in Bavaria, and living in the vicinity of Naples in bella Italia. I am married, we have no kids, and my wife supports my hobby.
Due to it is very easy and cheap to get a motorcycle driver license here in Italy, last year I decided to buy a motorcycle and to get the license. Since then I have driven approx. 4000 km and I am always happy and smiling cruising around Naples area, especially along the different coast lines from which the Amalfi Coast is my absolute favorite. One of the best things here is that there are virtually no rules for motorbikes and scooters. But that´s another story.
I am driving a 2002 Honda 919, or as we say here in Europe a Honda Hornet 900. It is a blue one with some customized stuff.
I replaced the original black seat by a blue/black one. I dismounted the original lights (head and tail light) and the blinkers, and mounted an LED tail light and LED mini blinkers. I replaced the headlight by an aftermarket one which is quite similar to the original Yamaha MT-03 headlight. Moreover I replaced the mirrors and the brake lines.
At the moment I am thinking about to replace also the speedometer and the plate holder.
I am looking forward to contribute to some threads and also to take some advantage from it.

Cheers
Bjorn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7885.jpg (307.9 KB, 37 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 02:46 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #3 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Bjorn and congrats on the new bike. That blue color rocks!

post #4 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Welcome to the Hornet gang Bjorn, too bad you did not get the fast Hornet, aka the Red one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #5 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 03:27 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Hello and welcome from sunny California, Bjorn!

Dave

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #6 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM
The Cripple

Hello and welcome. You are more brave than I am. I drove a rental for a week there in Naples and southern Italy, swore I would never do it again! Would love to do it on a bike though.

I miss the food there, and the coffee!

post #7 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
+1 on blue and I see you have a darker engine too, both we never got over here. Lucky!

Welcome!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #8 of 19 Old 02-12-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Hello and welcome. You are more brave than I am. I drove a rental for a week there in Naples and southern Italy, swore I would never do it again! Would love to do it on a bike though. I miss the food there, and the coffee!
Thanks.

Well, since we have moved to Italy in summer 2014 we started very fast to get used to this traffic. And it is quite easy to understand why... without a car or other motorized mean your a just a victim on Naples streets. No public means of transportation. Okay, it is existing. Somehow. There are no regular schedules. No wonder at this circumstances. Once a bus arrives you have to ask the driver where he is driving to. But without speaking proper Italian (I am still learning it - molto difficile) it is really hard. And, on the other side there are hardly side walks, and sharing the streets as a pedestrian... Well, time for some prayers.

Thus, by driving a car, a motorbike or a scooter everything is fine. You have to act like them - don't care about all the other f>[*]^s. You are the boss! Even the different police forces do not follow the rules (phone calls while driving, no seat belts fasten, don't care about red lights and stop signs etc.). Moreover, although Italy is also considered to follow European laws and regulations, the way to get a driver license is different. That's another story but exactly the reason why they are not able to drive a vehicle correctly, at least here in Naples. Up to the north it gets better but also in Rome you have to have a knife between your teeth to get through the traffic.

But beside the traffic it is awesome to live here. You're right, the coffee you can get here is the best I have ever drunk. And, of course, to eat a pizza with buffalo mozzarella cheese is a must, at least once per week.

I wanna die like my grandfather: peaceful asleep... and not panicly screaming like his passenger.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-13-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
+1 on blue and I see you have a darker engine too, both we never got over here. Lucky! Welcome!
Sorry, for asking. But sometimes my English skills are limited. Does this mean it isn't possible to buy the blue colored 919 in the States?

I wanna die like my grandfather: peaceful asleep... and not panicly screaming like his passenger.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-13-2016, 05:20 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBiker View Post
Sorry, for asking. But sometimes my English skills are limited. Does this mean it isn't possible to buy the blue colored 919 in the States?
Correct. And your English is great! Welcome to the forum. I love you bike!

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #11 of 19 Old 02-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Correct. And your English is great! Welcome to the forum. I love you bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBiker View Post
Your english is great and welcome! You did get the best color!
It is true there were no blue in the US but it was a Canadian color in 2002. I'm luck enough to have one of those Canadian bikes brought across the border.

Take care,
Mark

post #12 of 19 Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
Your english is great and welcome! You did get the best color! It is true there were no blue in the US but it was a Canadian color in 2002. I'm luck enough to have one of those Canadian bikes brought across the border. Take care, Mark
Thanks.
Quite interesting that only Canada sold the blue color for such a short time.
Happy for you you got one of this bikes. Great color.

post #13 of 19 Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post

Your english is great and welcome! You did get the best color!
It is true there were no blue in the US but it was a Canadian color in 2002. I'm luck enough to have one of those Canadian bikes brought across the border.

Take care,
Mark
Engine color was dark grey as well or that pewter

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 19 Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Engine color was dark grey as well or that pewter
Andrew, The Canadian blue configuration did not include the dark engine.

Enjoy that Seattle warm weather!
Mark

post #15 of 19 Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Discen

I love the headlight ..I've been looking to replace mine for more of an updated look. Was thinking about a hornet 600 headlight conversion. Has anyone thought about that/already done it ? I want to get something with a paintable bezel cuz I love the red pearl color my bike is that Honda whipped up. I love the naked look but two more pieces and I'm satisfied- a headlight with a pearl red bezel and of course a painted belly pan.

Btw- can you share some info on where you bought your headlight from and how much ??

post #16 of 19 Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
I love the headlight ..I've been looking to replace mine for more of an updated look. Was thinking about a hornet 600 headlight conversion. Has anyone thought about that/already done it ? I want to get something with a paintable bezel cuz I love the red pearl color my bike is that Honda whipped up. I love the naked look but two more pieces and I'm satisfied- a headlight with a pearl red bezel and of course a painted belly pan.

Btw- can you share some info on where you bought your headlight from and how much ??
Ciao,
first of all, and that is something I have to fix once it will be a little bit warmer, you have to be aware that the original headlight provide some "storage" room for all the wiring harness on the backside. Once you replaced the original by an aftermarket headlight you will have kinda cable mess behind your headlight/under your speedometer.

Second, I also dismounted the original brackets due to I do not like the style. But this means you will loose also stability for your speedometer which is bolt on the handlebar on the one hand, and on the original brackets on the other hand.

I have two options for the cable mess behind the headlight which are in a theoretical stadium for the moment.

My first option will be to pull the wiring stuff under the gas tank. But what I read online there is not much space available.

My second option will be to cut all cables, connect each cable individually with so called Japanese connectors (https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/japa...umber=10032033). The Japanese connectors are independent from the weather conditions (one of the problems beside right now it looks sucky).

Depending on how the result will look like once the cables are under the gas tank, and this would be the combined solution, I will shorten the cables, and will use the Japanese connectors.

With regard to the "moving" speedometer, as I already mentioned, once you got rid of the original brackets, it will be bolt on the handlebars only. I moved the aftermarket headlight as high as possible in order to support holding the speedometer. But this will be an interim solution only due to there are some vibrations now which, and at certain RPMs it is a bit noisy. I guess, one of my next projects will be to replace my speedometer as well.

These are the issues you should be aware of.

Now to the information you were looking for, and some background info:
Due to I am living in Italy but my bike is registered in Germany I have to take care about the German laws and regulations. That said, everything which will be replaced, mounted or dismounted on a car/bike has to be in line with the German laws. Therefore, I have to buy most of the stuff at the German market in order to meet this requirements. It might be it is easier to buy this stuff in the States.

I bought the headlight at the German amazon store. I bought the aftermarket headlight for about 230 €. This headlight does have brackets but the are quite short, and do not provide enough space for the cable mess. Therefore I spent additional 100 € for aftermarket brackets (https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/high...list=135818114). These brackets provide more space and offer also the possibility to mount the blinkers directly on it. But, in case you have own skills and the possibility to create your own brackets you should think about it as the headlight itself is available for about 100 €.

I know a lot of stuff to read but I did not find anything in detail about the problems, and one should be aware prior to dismount the headlight. Might be also it is not such a big thing for other guys.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Discen

Thanks for that info.. I'll look into the hornet 600 headlight mod.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Discen

Ciao Bjorn io mi ciamo Lido e abito qui in Toronto al Canada spero Che stai bene e stai atento sopra la moto.

post #19 of 19 Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido View Post
Ciao Bjorn io mi ciamo Lido e abito qui in Toronto al Canada spero Che stai bene e stai atento sopra la moto.
Ciao Lido, piacere. Sono bene, grazie. Sono imparare l'italiano però molto difficile. Tu sei nato a Toronto o in Italia? Il colore verde per la tua moto è molto bello. È l'originale?

Sorry, for using the Italian language, but I have to use every single possibility to improve my skill, and writing is easier than speaking. The Italian language, especially here in Naples where they speak another language (Napolitanean), sounds for me like a succession of letters without fullstop and comma. That is quite hard, I can tell you.

What I wrote above:
Ciao Lido, nice to meet you. I am fine, thank you. I learn the Italian language but it is very difficult. Were you born in Toronto or in Italy? The green color of your motorbike is very nice. Is it original?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode