cheap customizing for my maxim 650 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Smile cheap customizing for my maxim 650

Hello all I'm new to the site and I'm looking to share ideas on cheap custom touches I can do to make my bike stand out. Right now I own a 1982 Yamaha maxim 650xj. Its a 4 cylinder shaft driven sport cruiser. When I got it it had the factory maroon paint and that just didn't cut it for me. So last winter I took the tank and side covers and repainted them a metallic blue. It came out beautifully, especially for a rattle can job. Only one problem, the rattle can clear coat I used was to soft and any time I dripped gas on it the clear coat would "run ". So this winter I'm going to redo the tank with an automotive clear coat to prevent that. I also added a cool decal I found of a pinup girl on a playing card in the center to liven up the bare tank that ill apply before the clearing it. Over the past year I've made my own highway bars for more comfort on the long trips, saddle bags, a sissy bar and a custom rack on the back. I also did a simple reupholstering job on the seat and moved the rear turn signals backe to clear the new bags. Now I'm modifing a pair of tear drop truck cab lights to use to use as rear signals, ill mount then to the rear fender. This is something I've never seen done before and after playing with it a bit I got them to work by modifing the bulb socket to accept the stock signal bulbs like up front. I've left the fenders chrome as I like the different look it gives the bike, and I'm looking into a 4into1 exhaust next. I'm happy with the power I have so if I rejet the carbs it'll only be for the new exhaust.

Id like to here any ideas on other things I can do or that you might like to see done on one of these old classics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! Pics?

post #3 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Working on them lol I need to find the few I have. And the bike is currently torn down for the winter.

ForumRunner_20130105_170942.jpg

ForumRunner_20130105_171021.jpg

ForumRunner_20130105_171120.png

post #4 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome Blazer. Cool bike and the rattle can paint job looks great.

post #5 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 04:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Welcome to wristtwisters!

That Maxim is a nice looking UJM...What sort of look are you thinking of? There are tons of cheap-ish mods of varying levels of difficulty you could do that would really change the appearance...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Well I like the soft tail so no ridgid frame mods. Um I'm mostly interested in a more streamlined look. That's why I'm trying out the teardrop cab lights as turn signals on the rear. I'm not sure what to do with the front signals, there's not much space for some of the after market styles. Also anything that'll help with hauling, I take a lot of long trips and go on some big runs, with camping gear and such. I thought about a set of drag bars but I'm not a fan of leaning on the tank on long rides.

post #7 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
What?

post #8 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Since you like going on a lot of long hauls carrying gear, you will be kind of limited to what mods you can do and still be comfy in the saddle. I agree low drag bars are not going to feel very nice after a couple hundred miles.

Swapping out to take for something different, changing out the bars, and swapping for a different seat or modifying the original seat are the cheapest and easiest why'd you can do... but any of those changes will limit your carrying ability and comfort.

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yeah, the one thing I really liked about this bike was the large comfy seat, honestly its what sold me on the bike. I love the look of cafe racers but with only this one bike id rather have nice ride than a bike that looks that good. That's my dilemma though I don't like the looks of a lot of the serious cruisers like road stars and goldwings. Id love to find an old Yamaha cruiser, the venture I think and get rid of the front fairing on it. One thing I wish I could pickup is a 4into1 exhaust cheap but the ones I've found even on ebay are priced around $400.

After riding this bike for 2 years I'm happy with it. It takes the twisties better than most cruisers and has all the power ill ever need. Plus weighing in at around 500lbs with a full tank its really light and quick in maneuvering, which has saved my ass mote than once lol

post #10 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Don't know that I'll be any help with the mod scene, since on old bikes I'm very much a purist, but man... that blue is super sexy. Good looking Yamaha.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #11 of 46 Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks. I like the older bikes they have more character, but that's y I don't want to do any major expensive mods. I pretty much like its setup as is. I just want to tweak it, make it my own. But hell for a 30 yr old bike damn can it run lol

post #12 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Discen

looks good, if you havent i would be checking the sags to make sure i have the right springs and changing the fork oil, best look at suspension before the looks...imho

post #13 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I haven't had any issues with it. I had all the oils checked out when I first purchased the bike. Though I would like to get some heavier rear shocks for it, only for a second person after all I'm not exactly a small guy lol. But I bought it off a family of motorcycle enthusiasts and they took really good care of it. Only problem I ever had was when I hooked the kickstand kill switch back up, it decided to kill the motor any time I put it gear. But that was a quick easy fix.

post #14 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Has anyone on here made a 4onto1 exhaust? I figure id rather spend a day or 2 making one for $100 than buying a $400 mac exhaust. I have extra exhaust pipe from another 4 cylinder bike my buddy gave me so I can pretty much just cut twist and tweak it till I get the seting right. I'm just wondering how difficult it might be to keep the center stand?

post #15 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

I would think that making a collector that all 4 downpipes dump into whould be the hardest part...I wouldn't even know where to begin with that...

"The Shadow"
post #16 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I think it'll be easier than most think. I have extra pipe, other headers, with a different bends that I can cut turn twist or whatever to get the angles I need the collector should* be straight forward... get the pipes together tack them in place then put the collector pipes over them. Beat the collector around the tacked pipes to get it close, then finish weld it all.

post #17 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I just want to talk with someone else who's done it to get a clear picture of anything I'm missing, anything to make the job easier, and ideas on whether I need a muffler or just go straight out (maybe add a baffle for back pressure)

post #18 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Are you going with straight pipes? If you are going to be running a muffler, then that will take care of all your baffling needs...you'll only need to add a separate baffle if you run an open/straight exhaust.

"The Shadow"
post #19 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

That's what I'm trying to decide. I could go all handmade with straights and a baffle or buy a muffler. I've heard the mac exhausts and they sound good without the muffler, but I'm not sure I want to mess with my jets by using a straight pipe. If I don't rejet it then it'll probably run like shit....

post #20 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Some bikes are more tolerant than others as to needing backpressure. mostly, it doesn't mess things up much. You should only really need to re-jet if you delete the airbox. It's when people mess with the air intake that it leans out the fuel mixture, which then requires re-jetting to even things out again.

"The Shadow"
post #21 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Ah so making a smoother freer flowing exhaust shouldn't require a rejet? Huh I figured it wouldn't have mattered if you changed intake or exhaust either way you'd need to adjust

post #22 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

It might...or might not. My old goldwing project for instance...its not bothered by open headers. I dont plan to run it that way, however!

A free flowing exhaust should be able to be compenaated for by adjusting the fuel mixture

"The Shadow"
post #23 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Lol lil to loud for you? Idk I haven't heard of many if any maxims with a straight pipe setup. I'm not sure how the carbs would react compared to your goldwing. Yours is probably what? An 1100cc? Maybe 1200cc? That's a lot bigger motor, id think it could handle larger changes than my little 650 lol

post #24 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

That's another thing I've never fiddled with, hell I'm not sure how'd you'd even adjust the fuel mix on a 4carb setup

post #25 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Yeah, its an 1100. Four carbs can get complicated! Lol

Scope creep has become an issue on my project. I havent had the cash to do it all up right, like I want to...and it needs a lot! Its running decent now, though. Another 2-300 and it will be fine to ride. Then on to cosmetic stuff...but im starting to get tired of that whole bike!

I should be able to get my money back out if I decide to sell, though.

"The Shadow"
post #26 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

If you decide on the straight pipes, you can always put in a universal baffle later if it needs it

"The Shadow"
post #27 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM
The Cripple

size of engine has nothing to do with if a bike can handle intake/exhaust mods without a re-jet. It has everything to do with how lean/rich the carbs are set for from the factory. Most bikes benefit from a rejet in stock form anyways.

post #28 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Really? I knew they could benefit from stock. But I assumed that if the motor was pulling more air in and giving more out it would be less susceptible to changes in the flow of one or the other

post #29 of 46 Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

@the shadow : oh I'm sure you'd get your money back, goldwings sell at a premium, at least around here. I've seen 80s ones with more than 300000 on the old OD up here in pa. The things never die and are great roadtripers. What's going funky with the scope?

post #30 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

what I mean by "Scope creep" is the scope of the project. When I bought the bike, my main plan was to strip the fairing and uglified chrome extras (rattle-canned black) off the bike, and go from there. It turned out to need significantly more work than that, so the scope of the project grew.

When I'm done with it, someone can by a nice refurbished GL1100 at a fair price. I would like to get one riding season out of it first, though!

"The Shadow"
post #31 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Ahhh I see. I never was a fan of rattle canning chrome parts.... most people don't prep them right and they come out looking pretty horrible. Was this a barn find of yours?

post #32 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Lol, yep. It was sort of running when I bought it...enough so that I rode it 40 miles home on the backroads on very iffy tires & brakes, and leaking forks. The PO had put a barely charged old battery in it, and I had to stop at a dealer on the way home to replace it. It looked like it had beeen sitting for 15-20 years, and the oil smelled like it.

"The Shadow"
post #33 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Wow. How much did you pick itup for?

That wasthe beauty of my bike the PO was riding it the year before and it was well taken care of

post #34 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Lol, I think I overpaid.

$700

"The Shadow"
post #35 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Eh not really, you cant even find scrap goldwings by me for that price

post #36 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Well. Its now a naked/standard GW. My plans for this project have waffled all over the place... first I wanted to make it sort of a cafe bike, then I ran out of money and wanted to turn it into a daily driver. Now I'm not sure which direction is going to go. I'm a make it a bobber of sorts, but add a small windshield and maybe some ammo can panniers for trips.

Sorry for the thread to derail, but it's what we do best around here! Lol

"The Shadow"
post #37 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Ah its no problem I'm always up to talk about homegrown bike builds lol. I like the bobber look myself but I enjoy the ride so much I've learned that comfort takes precedent over looks lol. I've seen some really awesome maxim bobbers and one day ill get another to fiddle with more.

Check out Craigslist, I just saw some .30cal ammo cans on there for like $15-$20 a piece.

post #38 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

I have some 20mm cans that Ive been saving for this purpose. That I got free from the military... I agree that comfort is important, but this beastie needs some updating, in my opinion. My planned changes shouldnt really change the comfort level much. I have a couple different sats I want to try out, and just a mild bob of the back fender, with a new taillight and blinkers

"The Shadow"
post #39 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Thats SEATS*

"The Shadow"
post #40 of 46 Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Shouldn't change much. One nice thing about those bikes is the seating options lol. I can get original remakes and new covers but that's it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode