Welcome stellar. Congrats to your son on the 919. How do you like the ST? My next bike will most likely be a Sport Tourer, ST, FJR, or the like.
The ST is a great ride, albeit with a few compromises - but isn't that true of all bikes to one degree or another? It is the consummate jack-of-all-trades, but master of none.
• Bulletproof reliability
• Ultra smooth Honda V4 engine
• 7.7 gallon fuel tank means LONG legs
• Power windshield and fairing afford good protection
• WAY heavy (approaches 700 lbs. wet), but handles lighter at speed
• Can be a bit hot in the summer (but no more than most sport-tour bikes)
• Where's the cruise-control? (Added aftermarket Audiovox cruise to mine)
• The seat leaves much to be desired (got a new Sargents on order)
• Design is long in the tooth - looks a bit dated (supposedly a new one coming out in the fall)
All in all, I'm pleased with the bike and totalled over 17,000 miles in the first year of ownership. I'm on that same pace (or more) in the second year. I'll probably be looking for a full-on touring bike within the next year, as the ST doesn't really cut it for two-up touring of more than a couple of days or so. But, I will NOT be getting rid of the ST when I buy the tour bike. It's just too good of a long range runner for single riding.