919 a reasonable first bike? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 44 Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Candy Man

919 a reasonable first bike?

Hello~

The first post, and I have to start with such a nubby question? Yeah, I do. I've searched a bit, and there's not a lot of talk about people buying the 919 as a first bike.

What I have found is that when people are trying to decide which bike to buy, they offer some info
5'9" about 165 in a rural area, most rides should be about 15 miles and 55 and lower speed limits.

As a kid I lived on a trail 70 and then moved to a 125. When we moved into town, we had to get rid of the bike. That was sooo long ago, and they were such small bikes I don't consider that experience, but I do know that I miss riding.

I'm not really torn between the 919 and a bike of the same size (fz1 for example) but rather curious if it's actually more difficult to learn on a larger bike. I'm 33 years old and the racing/idiot bug has been gone for a half dozen years. I'm not looking for a wheelie bike, but rather a clean looking ride that is more than competent. There would be the occasional longer ride, but I am not thinking about a four hour ride down the turnpike on a bike. If I'm going 300 miles on a bike, I want it to be a six hour ride, but fun and scenic.

I'm sure I'll hear scooter suggestions, but I want a bike that can respond and be playful on that short ride to work. I would add the small wind fairing, but don't see many other mods as necessary, aside from maybe luggage. Ego and racing are the last things I'm worried about.

Thanks for your opinions...
Heath

It's pathetic, but I should add I'm considering the 919 cause I simply think it's about the sexiest damn thing on two wheels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Mc 9er

one of the many good things about the 9er is,its an easy bike to get use to,it's light enough for short around town stuff,comfortable on highways and if you want the power its got plenty to spare.I've had mine for 2yrs and i honstly can't complain about a single thing.hope this helps also check out the nest at www.hondahornet.co.uk for more info, good luck

post #3 of 44 Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

I agree with mcdonald919 about it being an easy bike to get used to .. the problem with it is she can also be an evil temptress (yes I love mine) and pull you in way over your head in a hurry.. the 599 might be more reasonable for a new rider.

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919

post #4 of 44 Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Is your brain smarter than your right wrist? That is the question that has to be answered. Any bike is the wrong bike if you have the wrong approach.

Having said that, sounds like you just wanna ride and want to know if you'll be okay with a mature approach. Get a bike, get the gear, take a safety course, and stay out of town until you get comfortable. Try to find someone with riding experience to help you out. The 919 is a light, fun machine that sounds like it would fit your needs. But beware, you can get all kinds of opinions (just like this one) when you ask a question like this.

By the way, welcome to the site.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 44 Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Candy Man

Well, there lots of references to a great "first bike" with the nighthawk 750 being one of the most popular. The second sentence is nearly always something along the lines of "while it was great learning on it, I sold it the second summer."

The answer to the question is that yes, my brain and right wrist are in agreement to my age expectancy. My hellion days are over. This area is just beautiful, with the hills, curves and dozens of lakes. Seems a shame to see it all from a car.

Most of my riding is back country roads with very little, if any city driving. I'm planning on mostly daylight hours, because of the high deer population we have. I have considered the 599, but I just can't do it. The gutting of the bike in size and stature makes it seem like pamela anderson without HooHa's. I think I'd take a silverwing over a 599... sorry 599 owners.

post #6 of 44 Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Brain stolen again?

I BBQ. Therefore, I am.

The little Hornet has got more beans than the venerable Kawasaki Z1 903cc monster of my day. I would not discount it because it has no boobs. You just have to spin that motor a bit more. Kawasaki makes that naked 750 Z7 (well, pretty naked at least) and it also has a splendid motor and has good writeups.

的 said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #7 of 44 Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Milites Gregarius

I think the 919 is a fine bike for you... if you're as disciplined as you say and keep the right wrist in check it'll be perfect for you. The dang thing will vulcan fly though!

post #8 of 44 Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM

The 919 happens to be my first and only bike. I think it is a great and fun bike. I have no plans of letting it go. I think that you will be satisfied with the power and the ease of the ride. As long as you respect the bike, the bike will respect you.

post #9 of 44 Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa
Kawasaki makes that naked 750 Z7 (well, pretty naked at least) and it also has a splendid motor and has good writeups.
You did this while I was away yesterday dirt bike riding didn't you? Quit trying to ruin a future Honda owner with this kind of filthy talk.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 44 Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
tomvan72

My younger brother got the z750 for his first bike. He let me ride it and I went directly to the Honda. It is much more comfortable. The Kawi does look good and it did give me the bug. But the 919 is more comfortable and more confidence inspiring. In a good way of course. And it is dead sexy!

post #11 of 44 Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim
You did this while I was away yesterday dirt bike riding didn't you? Quit trying to ruin a future Honda owner with this kind of filthy talk.

I rike you. You make me wraff!!!!!

Mathew Quigley
post #12 of 44 Old 06-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSmoove
As long as you respect the bike, the bike will respect you.
If that's criteria for a first bike then why not a new R1? It's very light since that seems to be an issue. It also has wonderful steering and I doubt you will outgrow the power. Really not bad for long rides either since it has the lowest pegs of any real supersport bike.

post #13 of 44 Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Yeah, that'd be fine until he had to pay the insurance premium...

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #14 of 44 Old 06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
Yeah, that'd be fine until he had to pay the insurance premium...

Some companies go by engine size. It doesn't matter if I ride a 919, R1, or Harley. It would be the same premium. I'm not saying that's right, just how it is.

post #15 of 44 Old 06-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxRC
Some companies go by engine size. It doesn't matter if I ride a 919, R1, or Harley. It would be the same premium. I'm not saying that's right, just how it is.

Mine does. The Harley would be the most expensive to insure. The 919 the cheapest.

post #16 of 44 Old 06-19-2006, 06:57 PM

IMO the 919 would not make a good first bike. To much torque coupled with a very sensitive throttle will give any death grip ham fisted newbie a tough ride.

A good bump in the road causing a jerk on the throttle and away you go.
It's not about respecting the power. Even experienced riders may cause an inadvertent lift on the front wheel griping the throttle too hard over a rough road. New riders haven't developed throttle finesse, and things like bumps in the road cause jerky riding on bikes with sensitive throttles.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Many have. But I personally know 2 riders who started with too much bike, both are learning slowly because they are afraid of their rides. They would progress much faster on more forgiving bikes like an sv650, ninja 500, etc.

Just remember, it's your first bike, not your last.

post #17 of 44 Old 06-20-2006, 10:52 AM
CPG's 919

The 919 Was My First Bike. I Dont' Think It's A Reasonable First Bike For Someone Who Has Never Riden Before. This Bike Has Power And It's Very Throttle Happy, If You Are Not Careful It Will Put You On Your Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Got The 919 Cause I Could Pass Up The Offer I Got, I Wiuld Have Started W/ A 600 Or 750 To Start. Don't Start With A 900 Or 1000cc Bike. Start Small And Work Up

post #18 of 44 Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 PM
tasty danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra
IMO the 919 would not make a good first bike. To much torque coupled with a very sensitive throttle will give any death grip ham fisted newbie a tough ride.

A good bump in the road causing a jerk on the throttle and away you go.
It's not about respecting the power. Even experienced riders may cause an inadvertent lift on the front wheel griping the throttle too hard over a rough road. New riders haven't developed throttle finesse, and things like bumps in the road cause jerky riding on bikes with sensitive throttles.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Many have. But I personally know 2 riders who started with too much bike, both are learning slowly because they are afraid of their rides. They would progress much faster on more forgiving bikes like an sv650, ninja 500, etc.

Just remember, it's your first bike, not your last.
i think the 919 wouldn't be a bad choice for everything but it's power. I honestly think it has too much get-up for a beginner. have you considered a 599? near the same looks, I guaruntee it'll be plenty of power for what you're describing, and great to learn on.

or you could just flog the hell out of a beater bike (ninja 500? gs500?) for 6 months to a year and get what you really want.

post #19 of 44 Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Candy Man

still shopping for the right deal

Well, I was concerned with throttle mistakes before somebody said something.... but the party seems divided about even. The power is too much, if I were to try to tap it soon, but it's my intention to ride with just shy of terror in my eyes. No daredevil here, just looking for a comfortable, competent bike. Does it lift that wheel up THAT easy? I have looked at the 599, but the look was short and not very pleasant. I'm thinking if the right deal comes along, I'm going to pick one up. Ebay seems to be littered with them, both the bikes and good deals. It's my intention to ride for a couple, maybe three years, and then sell her off. The little 600 rockets don't appeal to me too much... between the mosquito whine and the horrible sitting position... no thank you. The 06 ninja has a more upright position.... just not my speed with all those recycled pop bottles stuck all over it. Plastic shmastic. Besides, until toyota makes a bike, I'm a honda man. Maybe I should glance at a cruiser....

post #20 of 44 Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
tasty danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Man
The power is too much, if I were to try to tap it soon, but it's my intention to ride with just shy of terror in my eyes. No daredevil here, just looking for a comfortable, competent bike. Does it lift that wheel up THAT easy? I have looked at the 599, but the look was short and not very pleasant.
well with all due respect, (and i honestly mean no offense) that throttle reasoning ("i'll go easy on it") is what everyone says, and everyone is totally full of $h!t. no, YOU won't be any different. i said i'd be the most grandma driver in the world when i started out, everyone does, and no one is. fast bike, sooner or later a fast rider. NO exceptions to that rule.
the bike won't allow you to. seriously, if you wanted to be that slow, why not just buy a bike that slow? and when you panic and instinct takes over? then what? still going to be easy on it? hard to think about that when you aren't thinking at all, and the first time you're in a life or death situation, you won't be.

why was the 599 such a short and unpleasant look? it's that same damn thing minus a muffler (ok, nit-pickers please give me a break), and it's still twice as fast as you SAY you want to go.

post #21 of 44 Old 06-24-2006, 05:57 AM

That's the problem with starting with too much bike. You do not have the throttle management skills to ride this bike in a controlled fashion. You can respect the bike all you want, but you have not developed throttle skills that take a riding season or two to develop. You will put a death grip on the bars because you are new rider (all newbies do) and the scenario will go something like this.

You cruising around your hood nice and slow following some traffic. You hit a pot hole in the road you did not see. Your right hand jerks about 1/4". This sends the bike flying! Your ass is now getting thrown backwards so you tighten your grip even more (bad move), which in turn, opens the throttle more. Seeing the minivan in front of you close at a high rate of speed you grab the front brake, which locks up the front wheel (btw your a newbie, so you still haven't developed good braking skills either). Now you slam into the back of said minivan on your out of control bike.

You weren't going fast, you were "respecting the power" (an absolute BS statement IMO, I respect the power too when I do triple digit Cherohala runs).
So what happened? Simple, a new rider does not posses the skills to control a powerful bike.

A smaller bike like the SV650, 599, FZ6 will have forgiving throttles on them, meaning little jerky movements will not send the bike flying. They also have brakes that aren't as touchy as the 919. So you can get away with making minor braking mistakes without locking up wheels. They also have power bands that don't kick in till you get up in the rev range, so a new rider can take it easy on the bike. These bikes were designed this way so new riders can get past a HUGE learning curve and not get killed doing it.

Get what you want, but understand, it ain't about "respecting the power" its all about you not having developed proper riding skills.

Good luck

post #22 of 44 Old 06-24-2006, 08:53 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I don't know, man......I still think back to the days when I first learned to ride in the early '80s, when it was simply a rule of thumb to start off on an under 500cc bike, and EVERYONE accepted that rule. Nowadays, it seems every other guy that wants to start riding, wants to start off with a fast sportbike, or a 700+ pound Harley. There is nothing wrong with starting off with a smaller used bike. Once you're conditioned, sell it off (it may even be for what you paid for it if you hadn't dropped it), and then get the bike you want.

post #23 of 44 Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Another new 919 owner

I fall in about the same line as the one who started this thread. I rode a Honda 90 as a kid, then a 125. Height and weight the same, but I live in San Antonio. Got a V-Star 650 for my first bike in about ten years. It was great for about two weeks. Then I started looking around for something better. I took the MSF course, talked to a lot of people about different types of bikes, and finally picked the 919. I have to agree that it has a lot of power, and it has thrown me for a loop a couple of times. It's one of those things, though. If you respect the bike and ride as safely as you can, you should be okay. If you act like an idiot, then you will probably die like an idiot. Plain and simple.

post #24 of 44 Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM
919 City Pilot

Hell No!

It's a beast! I will kill you! Run away from cycles and stay at home...It's dangerious out there!

J/k

post #25 of 44 Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
HEY! Kawi is not Filthy!!!! Welcome aboard Candy Man!

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #26 of 44 Old 06-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNinja
HEY! Kawi is not Filthy!!!! Welcome aboard Candy Man!
No kissing on Hector until you wash your mouth out.

post #27 of 44 Old 06-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Quitting is for Quitters!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
No kissing on Hector until you wash your mouth out.

RULES!

-Mercedes- or you can call me YaYa
post #28 of 44 Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Candy Man

I must have left this part out....but I'm out in the boonies. There is no hood, there are very few real potholes, and there is about 3 miles between every minivan...or any other car for that matter. The area I'm in is actually quite conducive to learning on the road. There are probably..... 12 total stop lights if you were to drive 35 miles in any direction (circumference of about 110 miles). If I had anything to be worried about, it's deer.

I honestly didn't ask a question with the purpose of ignoring everyone. Nor was my plan to be selectively listening.... but I do think you find the responders in my age bracket and those with similar "wild-man" tendencies. In all of my childhood riding, I do remember one time with a freak out throttle response, but it was actually a tree branch that "grabbed" my hand and rolled it. I've been driving something... cars, trucks, heavy equipment, since the age of 7. I've built myself a pretty fast car (425 hp, not monster, not bitch-ass) and sold it because I was simply done with the high speed fun.
My interest in the bike is not to rekindle that speed addiction.... I'm truly over it. If I decide to pour on the fuel, it's not going to be at one of my 12 available stoplights.... it might be a 45-80 burst once in a while, but even then the wheel lifts will be rare. I just *know* that if I picked up a nighthawk 750 or smaller, I'll regret it a month later.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, and I'm considering everything said.... but what has been negatively said so far refers to those that are "twitchy" in a pinch. All that being said, if I find a bike at the right deal, you can bet I'll have good insurance. Should I fall down and break my pretty self, I'll be rebuilt. Better. Stronger. Faster.

post #29 of 44 Old 07-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Better. Stronger. Faster.
better make sure OsCaR G. is still funded

post #30 of 44 Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Brain stolen again?

You be cool and have fun while you learn. I look back on my cycling history and thank my Dad often for introducing me 38 years ago. He is in a hospital bed right now, and darn if I didn't thank him again last night when I took my 10R down to visit him. You go now, and start putting miles behind you, and never trust the other drivers out there.

Bigdaa, not quite

Oh, and me and Lilninja know that Kawasaki translated into English is "Holy wasabe I'm having fun!"

Mathew Quigley
post #31 of 44 Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

And all this time I thought they were "Green" with envy at all the Hon-duhs passing them.

Messin with ya Bigdaa, I haven't seen you on in a couple of days.

post #32 of 44 Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I thought Kawasaki was a disease...

post #33 of 44 Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Brain stolen again?

I can't say anything bad about any other makers, but I can say that you are welcome to try and pass me and my 10R

Mathew Quigley
post #34 of 44 Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

CM, I have to side with mudarra on this. The 919 has a twitchy throttle. Less so once broken in. I think it's an F/I thing. I'm sure my old carbed cb 750 was much smoother to deal with throttle wise. Not trying to dissuade you but heads up on this. The shop I bought mine at had a used one they let me test ride first. Someone had put an mx bar and two brothers pipes on. I can only imagine. Find a used one and test ride first if you can. Ride safe.

post #35 of 44 Old 08-10-2006, 10:13 AM
919er

Awards Showcase
BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I bought a Bandit 600 last year in March, learned how to ride, enjoyed it, but ever since I started lookin' at bikes I've had my eye on the 919. Heck, I found an old wallpaper picture of an '04 919 on one of my really old cell phones the other day! I sold the Bandit after 6 months, bought an '03 yz450f to hone my riding skills up on the dunes during the winter. Best decision I ever made. I learned so much on that dirtbike. Sold it after 6 months and bought the 919 off ebay. It's everything I ever dreamed it would be! (Well, after the Satos and PCIII, gel grips, salmander bar ends, corbin seat,520 chain and sproket, led tailight, pilot tires)
The 919 is an awesome bike, but I'm so glad I held off and got a few miles behind me before purchasing it. Now, I'm never gonna sell it!

Life's too short to put ugly chics on bikes
http://www.YourAutoWingman.com
post #36 of 44 Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Unbannable

here goes my .02

Short answer: no

I just sold my EX500 to a guy who has a car with a manual transmission and enjoys bicycle racing. I though he would be fine on it after a quick explanation.

So he gets on revs it, dumps the clutch, pop's a wheelie, drives in the neighbors yard where he hit a rock and crashed. Bent the bars, smashed the turn signal and lots of scratches.

At the very least you will drop your bike. My advise is to start on a small used bike. Learn to do stuff on it from chaning a tire, to graphics, to whatever. Just don't let the first time you try all this stuff be on your expensive lovely new 919.

or this may be you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1CYd6ghRw

post #37 of 44 Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

crap can happen on any kind of bike this is a sv650(smaller bike)... just take the msf course and have fun!! welcome to the site!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50+crash&hl=en

jusk keep in mind that it wont hurt your pride and pocketbook so much if you trash a inexpensive bike to learn on instead of the one you know you'll want to keep around for a long time.

post #38 of 44 Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
crap can happen on any kind of bike this is a sv650(smaller bike)... just take the msf course and have fun!! welcome to the site!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50+crash&hl=en

jusk keep in mind that it wont hurt your pride and pocketbook so much if you trash a inexpensive bike to learn on instead of the one you know you'll want to keep around for a long time.
Ha, I love that video.

RC-51 is a good first bike

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #39 of 44 Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Brain stolen again?

Hey, I stalled my 929 and dropped it in front of a bajillion people.
I dropped my KLR650 on two creek crossings 200 feet apart....... once on the left, once on the right just to balance it out scratch wise. Been riding 38 years so far.

Mathew Quigley
post #40 of 44 Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 PM
necked 919

Get the 919...
With the 919 just don't slam the throttle open in 1st gear and you'll be just fine...

But what ever do - do yourself a favor, get enrolled in a MSF course, get some good riding gear and wear all of your safety equipment all of the time, take it easy while your a nube and just have fun riding...
Rj
it's all about the balance in your life

PS I'm 48 and I thought I was over the need for speed, too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode