2nd Honda, 1st 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

2nd Honda, 1st 919

Hello all.
New to this site. Just picked up a 2007 919 at the beginning of the week. And at 5,500 miles the thing is practically brand new!! Had to drive 3 hours to get it but got it at a great price!

Super excited to start customizing it little by little once I can but I have a few things to take care off first. Such as selling my Vstrom & Funduro(which is currently in pieces). I may not be able to wait for the Funduro, haha.

Based on recommendations from this forum, I have already ordered a Custom LED integrated brake light though. The previous owner removed the rear blinkers and wired up the bike to use blinkers in the Givi side cases he had mounted. And while I like having the cases, I'd like not to have them on there most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Congrats man and welcome to the site. Wealth of 919 information here.

post #3 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Welcome aboard

Dan

post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you, thank you. I'm excited!

post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Optio

Garage
Welcome aboard! There is a TON of info on here! Once you start modding, you can't stop. I have a bunch of goodies for sale in the classifieds. Take a look (shameless plug). Post up some pics! Also, good call on the CustomLED. Its a fantastic light!

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Welcome aboard! There is a TON of info on here! Once you start modding, you can't stop. I have a bunch of goodies for sale in the classifieds. Take a look (shameless plug). Post up some pics! Also, good call on the CustomLED. Its a fantastic light!

Thanks!! On the Custom LED, didn't really want to spend that much money on the tail light but the way everybody was raving about it, seemed liked the way to go. As for other parts(I'll take a look at yours!), as much as I really want to, I told myself I'd hold off for a little while. Too many things on the list to work on as it is! But believe you me, I'll definitely get there. After I picked up my X-Country at the beginning of the year I went crazy with changes. Unfortunately don't have the time or $ to do that with the 919 right this second.

I think the first major thing I'd like to change when I get around to it is the header swap for the low exhaust placement. From what I've read so far it seems like the majority of 90's 900rr headers will work. Although it seems like some were saying that had issues the spacing of the pipes going into the engine. I also saw someone mention using a stock 919 header, chopping it at the end and using part from the 1000rr? I've obviously just started looking(for future reference, of course. ), still a lot to research.

As for pics, I'll try to get some up soon!

post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarheir View Post
Thanks!! On the Custom LED, didn't really want to spend that much money on the tail light but the way everybody was raving about it, seemed liked the way to go. As for other parts(I'll take a look at yours!), as much as I really want to, I told myself I'd hold off for a little while. Too many things on the list to work on as it is! But believe you me, I'll definitely get there. After I picked up my X-Country at the beginning of the year I went crazy with changes. Unfortunately don't have the time or $ to do that with the 919 right this second.

I think the first major thing I'd like to change when I get around to it is the header swap for the low exhaust placement. From what I've read so far it seems like the majority of 90's 900rr headers will work. Although it seems like some were saying that had issues the spacing of the pipes going into the engine. I also saw someone mention using a stock 919 header, chopping it at the end and using part from the 1000rr? I've obviously just started looking(for future reference, of course. ), still a lot to research.

As for pics, I'll try to get some up soon!
The light is really worth it. You want to make sure that other drivers can see you and what this one has above the others on the market is the intensity of the light as well as the viewing angles. Its visible all around. Concerning the header, some aftermarket ones may need persuasion to fit the head. There is a thread somewhere on here about the Delkevic needing some elbow grease. I found a like new stock header on ebay for a good price and pulled the trigger. Got a Yoshimura can for it to complete the look. I loved the look of the under tail but could not do the exhaust stink anymore. Keep your eyes peeled and you can fine one in good shape.

-Michael Jordan
post #8 of 17 Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! Congrats!

post #9 of 17 Old 12-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Ian

Welcome to the fold. Any questions just fire away.

post #10 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Centurion

Garage
Welcome to the money pit and pictures or it didn't happen

post #11 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Tesserarius

where is Nipomo?
yer gonna love the 919.
Welcome and post picks or.....you know the drill.

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #12 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you all for the welcome!!

I haven't taken a solo pic of the 919 yet and it's always dark when I'm home lately. Hopefully by the weekend! But here's a pic of the 919 with my X-Country(the two bikes I'm keeping!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageHunter View Post
where is Nipomo?
yer gonna love the 919.
Welcome and post picks or.....you know the drill.
Nipomo is on the central coast of California. Near Pismo Beach & San Luis Obispo. About an hour north of Santa Barbara.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes.jpg (134.1 KB, 23 views)

post #13 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
The light is really worth it. You want to make sure that other drivers can see you and what this one has above the others on the market is the intensity of the light as well as the viewing angles. Its visible all around. Concerning the header, some aftermarket ones may need persuasion to fit the head. There is a thread somewhere on here about the Delkevic needing some elbow grease. I found a like new stock header on ebay for a good price and pulled the trigger. Got a Yoshimura can for it to complete the look. I loved the look of the under tail but could not do the exhaust stink anymore. Keep your eyes peeled and you can fine one in good shape.
I've heard about the stink. But maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who haven't noticed, haha. Or maybe it's just too cold to notice! What year was your header and did you have any issues fitting it? Did you have to fabricate any attachments?

Hoping to dive into the project in about 2-3 months.
I saw that Akro used to make a full system. But no more unfortunately. The Delkevic full systems seem interesting but not so partial to the cans. Saw a couple of smaller time companies that made full systems such as Black Widow & Voodoo but since I've never heard of them not quite sure what to think. Will probably get a stock header down the line but will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled!

post #14 of 17 Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarheir View Post
I've heard about the stink. But maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who haven't noticed, haha. Or maybe it's just too cold to notice! What year was your header and did you have any issues fitting it? Did you have to fabricate any attachments?

Hoping to dive into the project in about 2-3 months.
I saw that Akro used to make a full system. But no more unfortunately. The Delkevic full systems seem interesting but not so partial to the cans. Saw a couple of smaller time companies that made full systems such as Black Widow & Voodoo but since I've never heard of them not quite sure what to think. Will probably get a stock header down the line but will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled!
Ahhhh.. Stink... Its actually worse (in my experience) when it's cold. Glad you don't have it!!!!!

I don't remember what year my header is but I think it's an early one because it's black. I *THINK* the newer ones were silver whereas the older ones are black. I could be wrong on that one. Feel free to correct me. Fitting was not an issue. Bolted right up. You just have to be careful because the studs sometimes come out with the nuts. I would recommend soaking the hell out of them with PB Blaster a day before you tear in. Specific to the cans, you will have to search a bit on this site, but I know that some GSXR750 cans fit the stock mounting bolt on flange too. Other option is to cut the flange off and go slip on. Way more options that way. Finally, mounting, the hanger does not line up with the hanger on the frame. You will have to cut off the hanger on the header and have it welded to the proper spot for a true install. That said, I never did it and 5k miles later, all is good. Not right, but good.

-Michael Jordan
post #15 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Ahhhh.. Stink... Its actually worse (in my experience) when it's cold. Glad you don't have it!!!!!

I don't remember what year my header is but I think it's an early one because it's black. I *THINK* the newer ones were silver whereas the older ones are black. I could be wrong on that one. Feel free to correct me. Fitting was not an issue. Bolted right up. You just have to be careful because the studs sometimes come out with the nuts. I would recommend soaking the hell out of them with PB Blaster a day before you tear in. Specific to the cans, you will have to search a bit on this site, but I know that some GSXR750 cans fit the stock mounting bolt on flange too. Other option is to cut the flange off and go slip on. Way more options that way. Finally, mounting, the hanger does not line up with the hanger on the frame. You will have to cut off the hanger on the header and have it welded to the proper spot for a true install. That said, I never did it and 5k miles later, all is good. Not right, but good.
Thanks for the advice!!

I got the Custom LED in the mail a couple of days ago.
If I get any time to spare tomorrow, two things on the agenda are installing the light and removing the evap canister.
Starting small but it's a start, haha.

post #16 of 17 Old 12-18-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here's some more pics.
Instead of trying to remove the canister or installing the tail light board, I opted for going for a ride today instead!
It was a big risk because my back has been in bad shape for the past week..... but I had to.... I hadn't touched my 919 since I got it two weeks ago! Soooooo fun. It was great.
And one of my buddies just picked up a K1100S(from the same person I bought my 919 from), so a good ride was in order.
Happy camper <------right here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161218_131920.jpg (348.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161218_171232.jpg (313.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg group1.jpg (261.7 KB, 25 views)

post #17 of 17 Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Tesserarius

Awesome to see these beauts being ridden. Glad to hear more 919s are being enjoyed!

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode