+1 919 newbie - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

+1 919 newbie

Well, I'm a little early on my mid-life crisis (35 years old), but I thought that a little over a decade (last time I owned a two-wheeled Honda) of being on four wheels was too long. I happened upon a '02 919 ad online and the rest is history. I don't know if buying a matte black cycle was the best idea with the Vegas summer heat and all, but man do I love the color!

I have to say that I'm impressed with all the knowledge, humor, and enthusiasm on this board.

And, since I am new at this (919), let the stupid questions begin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

welcome

post #3 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Still waiting for those stupid questions!

If you have not done so, please read the Helpful Topics for new 919 owners, it should keep you busy for awhile.

Welcome aboard...

post #4 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 01:29 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome LV-
Remember, there are no stupid questions.....

post #5 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 01:40 PM
jnor

Welcome

post #6 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Howdy.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 01:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hey, welcome to the hive! Great model year of 919 you got there.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Welcome to the forum!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 PM

The hive welcomes you, LV919. There are plenty of people here to help guide you to many, many mods (and an empty bank account )

post #10 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Me and My 2006 599

Hi, everyone! Last year, I got tired of riding on the back of a bike and signed up for the local Rider Ed Class. I passed the class, went right down to Motor Vehicles, got my license and, 2 days later, purchased my first motorcycle, a 2006 Honda 599. I think my family is still trying to figure out if I have lost my mind. I haven't had much time to ride due to cold weather, and work so I'm hoping to really start riding now that spring is here. I would welcome any advice from those of you who were once novices! Thanks for any support you can offer!

post #11 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Welcome cfcats!

I have around two years of riding experience under my belt, so I'm pretty much a newbie too. Couple bits of advice I can offer though from personal experience.

1) Watch out for sand/debris in roadway, especially as you pull off to the side of the road. I remember my first and only accident like it was yesterday, hitting some sand on the side of the roadway as I pulled into a gas station. Looking back, I shouldn't have missed it, but I got careless and my mind was already on getting gas. Anyhow, I went to the rear brake, felt the back end slide just a bit and I was laying on my back with the weight of the bike on my boot. This brings me to my second point ...

2) Get and wear some high quality gear that is visible. My boot (not sneakers or flip-flops) saved my leg from some damage. My glove (poor quality) was shred to bits. My helmet bounced off the pavement (no helmet = no option for me). My jacket (again low quality) tore. Needless to say, I own and wear much better equipment today. My jacket now (most visible part of me riding) is a bright green Joe Rocket that is ugly to me, but everyone sees me coming!

I was fortunate that my accident was at low speed, but I wish someone had really stressed these points to me beforehand. I gave this same advice to a coworker of mine two years ago (new rider) and even offered to lend her some of my equipment (whatever fit her). Long story short, she ended up off-roading and with some pretty serious rash to illustrate my points.

Congratulations on your new adventure. Enjoy...

post #12 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 06:04 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Welcome to the hive, Cfcats!

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #13 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Weclome cfcats...

Well, I think you've already taken one of the most important steps in passing the rider safety course.
I'm sure that there are going to be plenty of people providing advice here, so I'll just give my .02...do what feels comfortable to you. Don't let anyone talk you in to anything...don't try to keep up with friends. Just stay within your skill and comfort level. Take it slow/easy and soon enough you'll find yourself riding like it's second nature.

Congrats on the purchase, ride safe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcats View Post
Hi, everyone! Last year, I got tired of riding on the back of a bike and signed up for the local Rider Ed Class. I passed the class, went right down to Motor Vehicles, got my license and, 2 days later, purchased my first motorcycle, a 2006 Honda 599. I think my family is still trying to figure out if I have lost my mind. I haven't had much time to ride due to cold weather, and work so I'm hoping to really start riding now that spring is here. I would welcome any advice from those of you who were once novices! Thanks for any support you can offer!

post #14 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Welcome! Stickies and searches are a man's best friend (after the 919 itself, of course).

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #15 of 18 Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Welcome 599 and 919 people.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 AM
jnor

I see that you live in Las Vegas. I've always wanted to live in Las Vegas, is there any good places to ride out there? Mt. Charleston looks like a good place, but not that far. What about the heat in the summer?

post #17 of 18 Old 03-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Tired of Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I see that you live in Las Vegas. I've always wanted to live in Las Vegas, is there any good places to ride out there? Mt. Charleston looks like a good place, but not that far. What about the heat in the summer?
Welcome to the forum guys.

It looks like Vegas is starting it's own hive. How many members out there now?

I spent 25 years in Vegas. There are some great rides in the area, but the crazy population explosion has taken a bunch of the fun out of it. Red Rock Canyon loop used to be a great place for 'road' racing - safety first, of course, I wouldn't want to imply that I ever race on the street. Thirteen miles of one-way twisties in the canyon. Saldy, the last time I was there. the amount of people discouraged sporty fun.

As for the temp. When it's 110 degrees, it's friggin' hot. Don't let any one tell you that 'it's a dry heat'. Those kind of numbers are for real. The plus side is 80 degree nights in the summer. Fantastic for being outside.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-25-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha, yes... hot is hot (dry or humid)! Red Rock is for tourists (no offense) now, especially buses full of them with cameras. I still ride around Lake Mead in the morning when it is only 90 degrees, lots of motorcycles out there with me. Also, southern Utah is only 1.5 hours away (cool and a little more green) for extended rides.

I love Las Vegas still, but the growth is out of control. I've never seen buildings go up so fast. I work graveyard, so the 24hr bar/grills of Vegas keep me well fed and I can eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner anytime I want at my whim. I grew up in New York and let me tell you Vegas is the city that never sleeps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode