SoCal meetup - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

SoCal meetup

I am down in San Diego, and new to the region. Anyone want to get together grab a burger and hit some twists? Maybe a run around big bear or something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsjunky View Post
I am down in San Diego, and new to the region. Anyone want to get together grab a burger and hit some twists? Maybe a run around big bear or something?
I’m not in CA (live in NC), but don’t know if you’ve heard of a moto-vlogger named Motojitsu. His real name is Greg I believe, also goes by Fast Eddie (his late fathers nickname).

You may have, and may have an opinion formed one way or the other. But if not you may want to check him out.

From what I have seen on YouTube he seems like a great guy. Has a passion for teaching people how to become better and safer riders (even has a course he has developed).
Just posted an interview with Lee Parks on his channel a couple days ago.
But still likes to ride spirited from what I can tell (and hard on the track).
He currently rides an S1000r and a DRZ400.

Might be worth checking out, looks like he has a couple meet-ups planned in the near future (see pics).

https://youtu.be/9gEyXo2iqIo
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9548FFF8-62C2-4618-9271-245758FB401F_1580407217247.jpeg (120.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg B5AA94D5-E05B-4648-94EF-739BA85F9CBC_1580407227937.jpeg (236.4 KB, 9 views)

post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I will have to start fallowing him although I am busy this weekend maybe in the future. I was thinking of trying to plan something for early March.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2020, 07:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've been following him and even emailed, I really like his videos. Pretty straight forward, good info. Should be great weather, but he's down south. We're looking at a 70F deg day this week in NorCal. Rough Winter eh?

post #5 of 10 Old 02-01-2020, 11:53 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

He's great at teaching for 99% of riders, but is not the best rider in the world, nor is he the most informed, yet he acts like he is. He might say there's so many riders better than he is, but when you criticize him, he immediately gets upset and starts insulting you. In the past he was very egotistical and stubborn, where I'd call him out on something he said that was incorrect and he'd just go straight to insulting me and my riding ability rather than trying to correct or even acknowledge what I said. Like, plainly incorrect statements that a 5 second google search would prove him wrong. Also he is sponsored by a few different groups and definitely has biased opinions in certain areas. He perpetuates a few common myths and is unwilling generally unwilling to engage in a discussion under the believe that he is better than everyone else. He might have changed recently after being called out for being so egotistical by a lot of commenters but he's basically run out of content to talk about relating to motorcycles so I haven't seen many of his videos lately.

As long as you don't have any of your own opinions on riding, he's a great source to learn from.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2020, 07:57 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
He's great at teaching for 99% of riders, but is not the best rider in the world, nor is he the most informed, yet he acts like he is. He might say there's so many riders better than he is, but when you criticize him, he immediately gets upset and starts insulting you. In the past he was very egotistical and stubborn, where I'd call him out on something he said that was incorrect and he'd just go straight to insulting me and my riding ability rather than trying to correct or even acknowledge what I said. Like, plainly incorrect statements that a 5 second google search would prove him wrong. Also he is sponsored by a few different groups and definitely has biased opinions in certain areas. He perpetuates a few common myths and is unwilling generally unwilling to engage in a discussion under the believe that he is better than everyone else. He might have changed recently after being called out for being so egotistical by a lot of commenters but he's basically run out of content to talk about relating to motorcycles so I haven't seen many of his videos lately.

As long as you don't have any of your own opinions on riding, he's a great source to learn from.
That's strange, you can watch his videos and you probably wouldn't pick up on that. It's like living next to someone or working with someone for years and not seeing who they really are.

I think most of us know how some of us can have one face in public and another in private.

Quote:
I'd call him out on something he said that was incorrect and he'd just go straight to insulting me and my riding ability rather than trying to correct or even acknowledge what I said. Like, plainly incorrect statements that a 5 second google search would prove him wrong.
Having seen a number of his videos, I'm wondering what you saw as wrong.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Discen

The only thing I have noticed is that when people get real snarky or negative in the comments he does give short retorts that I guess could come off as being either uppity or flippant.

I guess I attributed that to more of his mindset/philosophy. I think he follows maybe something like a Zen Buddhist worldview (but I’m not up on my Eastern religions/philosophies so I could be off a bit on that).
Seems more like he just doesn’t want to engage in a bunch of negativity.
But of course we all have pride, and sometimes it is hard to swallow, especially when we are wrong (and we all are at some point).

I don’t watch all his stuff but have known of him since he was under 10k Youtube followers.
And so while he is probably now nearing or at the stage that he is making decent money from his videos, books, sponsorships; I think his intentions were pure in that he truly wants to help people become better riders.
And he still takes the time to meet locally to have training/practice sessions at no cost and with whoever wants to show up.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2020, 09:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
The only thing I have noticed is that when people get real snarky or negative in the comments he does give short retorts that I guess could come off as being either uppity or flippant.

I guess I attributed that to more of his mindset/philosophy. I think he follows maybe something like a Zen Buddhist worldview (but Iím not up on my Eastern religions/philosophies so I could be off a bit on that).
Seems more like he just doesnít want to engage in a bunch of negativity.
But of course we all have pride, and sometimes it is hard to swallow, especially when we are wrong (and we all are at some point).

I donít watch all his stuff but have known of him since he was under 10k Youtube followers.
And so while he is probably now nearing or at the stage that he is making decent money from his videos, books, sponsorships; I think his intentions were pure in that he truly wants to help people become better riders.
And he still takes the time to meet locally to have training/practice sessions at no cost and with whoever wants to show up.
I noticed in the opening of a few videos what clearly looks to be about Zen.

I've studied Stoic which is said to be Buddhist with an attitude. One thing learned is that some things you can't control.

One thing that I try to practice is to not argue a point with someone because it won't change that which is true. If someone has a certain view that is different from yours, it doesn't make that view true. That doesn't mean that you can't be wrong in your own views.

I've studied for decades, the use of AI/ML in game theory and the development of economic systems. I rarely discuss this with others because economics is so political that you can't get pure rational thought, you just get hatred of anyone that doesn't 100% agree with you.

It's a view that, in order for you to get to a certain level of understanding of something, you need to have focus. If you're able to determine right from wrong by yourself, you don't need the opinion of others and you can make great progress. The downside is that if you're wrong about something, you're whole idea/theory/path can be invalidated.

IMO, discussing certain things with others is a pure waste of time.

Example: I just asked on Reddit not long ago about how to update someone's open source code. I hadn't done this before in the form of a framework. Some punk comes in, tells me to start contributing to the cause and stop crying. I was actually asking HOW to contribute. I was down voted and he was up voted and all I was doing was asking how.

This is the world we live in. Short attention span people that live in an echo chamber. You can't hardly discuss anything with anyone without it being political or triggering someone. We're probably closer than in a very long time to a civil war, we're very divided. Look at the impeachment process, fully divided.

One way to make progress during this time, is to just not discuss certain things. When I asked for help on a programming framework, some punk jumps in and ruins the whole thing.

Compare that to coming here and asking "how do I replace fork seals?" ... what do you get. You get someone that points to a sub that's has pictures and discussion about the process... You get advice on oil, tools, process, etc... You get this from fellow owners. It's not divided, it's helpful.

Stoic, Buddhist are similar in many ways. Ignoring things that you can't change, saves you time that you can spend on things you can change.

Another concept is understanding that happy/sad is 100% under your control. If it rains, you can complain... that won't stop the rain. You can learn to enjoy the rain and be happy, or you can curse the rain and create hate for the rain, but the rain will do what the rain will do and you can't change that... you can only change how you respond to the rain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2020, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Late February early March would any of you be interested in heading out East? We can go to Pine Vally or Mt Laguna?

post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
That's strange, you can watch his videos and you probably wouldn't pick up on that. It's like living next to someone or working with someone for years and not seeing who they really are.

I think most of us know how some of us can have one face in public and another in private.

Having seen a number of his videos, I'm wondering what you saw as wrong.
You are correct. I was in his discord channel, which probably still exists. It was essentially a group chat among him and his followers where you could ask questions.

One issue is that the nature of his videos are all one-take, and he frequently says something that is either wrong or will be interpreted wrong. That, or he'd just plain say something that wasn't correct. Things like "ABS wont stop you from flipping over," which on almost all modern bikes, including his personal bike, does. Or, "Cars stop much faster than motorcycles." Which is also wrong as your average motorcycle is capable of stopping just about as fast as a car can, sometimes quicker, but it depends on the rider. There are many examples, where I'd try to explain why I disagreed and included convincing sources, and his response was always something like "No, you are wrong, and you would know that if you took more courses."

There was an extremely fast A level trackday rider in that group chat who once said that Greg (Motojitsu) should do more full sized track days, as while greg is good compared to the average rider, he was hardly average compared to good riders. His response was something like "well I've done over 30 courses and yada yada, just because people are faster than me doesn't mean they are a better rider than me." A lot of people were banned from that discord chat room for trying to tell him when he was wrong. Rather than trying to explain why he was right, he'd always fall back on "well I've taken 30+ courses, you'd understand if you took more courses!"

Im assuming he got a lot of emails regarding that, because not too long ago he made a page long apology on his youtube channel for having a huge ego, and I believe that's right around the time he switched the whole zen thing. He seems happier ever since, good luck to him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode