Organizing a charity ride - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
919 Skunk-Ape

Organizing a charity ride

Hey everyone. I've never done one of these before, but I think I might give it a try. I work for the Y in central FL. Last year our association was able to collect over 20,000 shoeboxes stuffed with gifts for kids in impoverished countries around the world. The program is called operation Christmas child. Look it up.
Anyhow, I was thinking about doing a charity ride to benefit this program. It would be something like this: bring a packed box to get in the ride. Bring( 2? ) boxes and get a (free something from some place we stop Along the way). Then I was thinking of doing some kind of party at the final dest. Maybe BBQ
Has anyone put together one of these? Are you supposed to notify the LEOs? Is it common to reach out to riding clubs?
Any advice or warnings appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

A noble cause, but I would be concerned about the personal liability aspect first.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
919 Skunk-Ape

What personal liability is there in a group ride? Only thing I can think of is the leader crashing and causing others to crash - that is if the leader is the organizer. Even then as far as liability on the road goes, this is Florida. No-fault state.
People do rides like this all of the time. I've never heard of someone being sued from anything involved in one.
Lastly, as far as personal liability goes, the only thing I have my name on is my bike. Technically that's my means of transportation. In FL you can not take someone's primary home (my house) or means of transportation. So...... I have nothing to take.
If you know of legal action resulting from one of these rides, I will surely consider that, but if your caution is based on the fact that every jerk-wad attorney is trying to sue for something or other, well that could happen anywhere at any time. I had a guy threaten me with a lawsuit last week because we ran out of FREE coffee. Screw that nonsense. If we live in a bubble, we might as well not live.
Rant over.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla_rob View Post
What personal liability is there in a group ride? Only thing I can think of is the leader crashing and causing others to crash - that is if the leader is the organizer. Even then as far as liability on the road goes, this is Florida. No-fault state.
People do rides like this all of the time. I've never heard of someone being sued from anything involved in one.
Lastly, as far as personal liability goes, the only thing I have my name on is my bike. Technically that's my means of transportation. In FL you can not take someone's primary home (my house) or means of transportation. So...... I have nothing to take.
If you know of legal action resulting from one of these rides, I will surely consider that, but if your caution is based on the fact that every jerk-wad attorney is trying to sue for something or other, well that could happen anywhere at any time. I had a guy threaten me with a lawsuit last week because we ran out of FREE coffee. Screw that nonsense. If we live in a bubble, we might as well not live.
Rant over.
Sorry for the constructive comment.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
just send it.

Garage
Just do a liability release forms and you won't have to worry. When I do rides through my local dealer, I have to sign my life away.

Otherwise, just do what you can to get the word out there. Maybe you can talk with a local bike shop to do some advertising and use them as a starting/ending point.

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 05:43 PM
i appear missing

unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but I, for one, applaud your effort and hope that whatever charitable event you plan is a huge success!
[and I wish I could join in]

Best of luck man!

post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

+1 on the liability release form.
I ride in a huge charity ride here every year and they have everyone sign a release form.
Also a good idea to get the local LEO's involved as their cooperation can be more of a blessing than a burden. Especially once you decide on a route. They can help stop traffic if you need it at intersections. Plus it's just good to let them know there will be a group of bikes riding through their area and that you're a charity ride.
The ride I go on every year is for a place called the Little Angels Home here.
The Little Angels is a home for children and young adults with severe disabilities and complex medical needs. It is a state-of-the-art facility offering round-the-clock skilled nursing, therapeutic and habilitation services in a warm, caring environment.

https://www.facebook.com/LAPledgeRun

The ride is huge every year. It is about an 80 mile run. There is a charge to ride but it all goes to the charity. They charge $15 if you register early or $30 the day of the ride.

If you wanted you can do donations instead of money. I used to go on the Toys for Tots every year and you had to bring a new toy and canned goods, as much as you wanted.
On the Little Angels run they have a party at the ending point and every one with a wristband, which you get when you pay at the start, gets a burger or hot dog, chips and drink. They also have a raffle, local vendors and a live band.
You don't have to get that extravagant though. You could easily do a poker run. That doesn't cost much and if you get a big crowd it can raise some good cash.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble now. I just wanted to let you know what I've seen.
Hope it helped.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
919 Skunk-Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post

Sorry for the constructive comment.
Hey man I'm sorry. Didn't mean for that to come off rude. I was thumb typing as I was thinking. The word "liability" makes me think of ambulance chasers. Then my mind goes into "lawyers are the bane of our country" mode. No hard feelings?

post #9 of 9 Old 08-10-2013, 06:44 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Yes you must do a waiver to protect the organization from claims of negligence. I'd suggest cash or online donations due to potential difficulties carrying boxes on bikes. BBQ gets expensive and will eat your proceeds so sell links as part of the fundraiser. Try to get sponsors like a bike dealer, get local tv & radio to promote with free psa ads and even ask for one of their personalities to mc the event. Ask local businesses to donate stuff for a live auction. Those are great fun.

You'll see riders of all skill levels so ask a local msf school to recommend experienced ride captains, one for every dozen participants to keep groups small. Keep the ride reasonably short for the same reason. Have a rider meeting to go over the route and the basic rules of group riding. Safety first.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode