Northern Virginia - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 52 Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Northern Virginia

Looking to hook up with some fun people who just like to go out and cruise the back roads of nova. I live in Ashburn and would love to meet others in my area or close by. I ride an en500, but anyone who rides is welcome to reach out and lets hit the twisties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Tesserarius

When you say hook up..... its gunna be consensual right?

Just curious, im california so im safe either way.

Welcome to the site!

post #3 of 52 Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I'm scared about farting while driving a car in NVA, let alone riding a motorcycle. FFX Police kill any desire for me to do anything but sit in the slow lane and hold my farts in. My wife works in NVA, my inlaws are in NVA, I have a lot of friends in NVA, we go there often, in fact was just there today.

Skyline would be a fun ride, but without having a trailer to trailer my bike out there I'm not willing to ride out there.

Maryland has some awesome roads, but you need to get far away from 495. Towards Annapolis is awesome for riding.

post #4 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 07:19 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

I'm in Ashburn, my rides aren't very frequent, but I'd be happy to show you around.

post #5 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Tesserarius

West Virginia has some awesome roads. I'm also terrified of the NOVA traffic nazis.
There's a group on fb called Throttle Control. They are a sportbike group and I believe they are based around VA/DC. They do rides almost every week it seems. Somehow I'm in their fb group, I haven't done any rides with them yet but they seem like a decent group, they know a lot of local sights and good rides.

post #6 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
So what's really considered NOVA, I looked up Ashburn, VA and it looks like it could be considered a suburb of Washington DC? I know the Western VA area has some nice roads and you can ride right into WV like route 250 is sweet out of Staunton VA

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #7 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
West Virginia has some awesome roads. I'm also terrified of the NOVA traffic nazis.
There's a group on fb called Throttle Control. They are a sportbike group and I believe they are based around VA/DC. They do rides almost every week it seems. Somehow I'm in their fb group, I haven't done any rides with them yet but they seem like a decent group, they know a lot of local sights and good rides.
I used to be on their meet-up group but it scared the s$%&* out of me. Apparently, in almost every ride it was an accident. Now they are MC.

post #8 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Ashburn is in NVA but at least its somewhat away from 495. It's a nice area. Still wouldn't enjoy riding there because of the police. I have friends who live/ride in NVA and I feel for them.

I'm pro police btw, I have tons of respect for police officers, but there's a few departments you just don't mess with. FFX is one of them.

Todi, have you been riding much? Last year the best ride I had was with you guys, outside of that it's been to/from work. over all I hardly rode =( This year I'm hoping to ride more but it's hard getting out there when it doesn't involve going to work. Need a few more hours in the day =(
post #9 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post

Todi, have you been riding much? Last year the best ride I had was with you guys, outside of that it's been to/from work. over all I hardly rode =( This year I'm hoping to ride more but it's hard getting out there when it doesn't involve going to work. Need a few more hours in the day =(
jeffie, this Sunday, Mihai and I are planning to do the Skyline (I know, we'll have to take 66 so cruise control set to 64) before it gets too crowded. You're welcome to join.

For shorter rides, we are good on Sunday mornings (this year).

Later in the year, I think there is another Tail ride (Ike, Mike, what do you think, should this be an annual WT event? ).

post #10 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
I used to be on their meet-up group but it scared the s$%&* out of me. Apparently, in almost every ride it was an accident. Now they are MC.
haha yup. i don't know much about them, but they seem alright in interactions and their ride choices are cool points of interest.
in both of the last two rides they did someone went down.... one guy somehow fell over on a straight away. another guy went wide in a - sort of - turn. last weekend. i watched the video of it, but haven't really figured out what he did, looked like he kinda just forgot to turn then locked up his rear. idk.
i chalk stuff like that up to rusty/new riders more so than a reckless group, but who knows.
group rides aren't really my thing, riding with one two people who's riding style i know is a bit more enjoyable to me.

OP if you wanna come towards Frederick sometime hit me up.

post #11 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post

OP if you wanna come towards Frederick sometime hit me up.
I didn't forget you promised to show me "the Frederick loop"

post #12 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Tesserarius

haha i'm around! pm me if ya wanna meet up.

post #13 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
jeffie, this Sunday, Mihai and I are planning to do the Skyline (I know, we'll have to take 66 so cruise control set to 64) before it gets too crowded. You're welcome to join.

For shorter rides, we are good on Sunday mornings (this year).

Later in the year, I think there is another Tail ride (Ike, Mike, what do you think, should this be an annual WT event? ).
Thanks for the invite but I can't hold my farts that long. Maybe one day coming up in the next month or two we can do a ride to the gas station near southern high school and back. That's about an hour ride if we hit every backroad we can to and from.
post #14 of 52 Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Heck yeah. That was a blast!

Is the group that you are talking about the same one that I rode with that day?

If want another way to Skyline, you can go down and over through Fredericksburg, VA, but that is out of the way for Mihai. Pretty nice roads though and no Beltway.

post #15 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I'm actually supposed to be riding to Skyline this weekend with friends as long as I can get my rim fixed or replaced. I'll be coming from VA Bch.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #16 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Thanks for the invite but I can't hold my farts that long. Maybe one day coming up in the next month or two we can do a ride to the gas station near southern high school and back. That's about an hour ride if we hit every backroad we can to and from.
I'm not going to ride behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Heck yeah. That was a blast!

Is the group that you are talking about the same one that I rode with that day?

If want another way to Skyline, you can go down and over through Fredericksburg, VA, but that is out of the way for Mihai. Pretty nice roads though and no Beltway.
Mike, yep, just me and Mihai. Let me talk with him today and I'll let you know, we can meet at the gas station in Waldorf/La Plata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
I'm actually supposed to be riding to Skyline this weekend with friends as long as I can get my rim fixed or replaced. I'll be coming from VA Bch.
We can meet. Look for 2 red 919 (if Mike comes) and one white Tiger 800

post #17 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Tesserarius

is it skyline that is quite strict about their speed limit? if i remember right parts of the BRP are and some aren't.

if you were doing a loop skyline/340/675/678 looks awesome....well 340 might be a little meh, but not many good N/S non-highway routes... or just do skyline back up haha

post #18 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I've never ridden skyline when it's super busy, just a few cars on some of the nicer days in the middle of summer. Not too many cops hanging out, just enough to make sure that no one's doing anything crazy. Since I was by myself I was taking it pretty easy with stops for photo opportunities:

If you guys decide to swing by Fredericksburg or Quantico let me know. I've been pretty busy lately, but might be able to get away for a few hours.

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
'95 Honda Rebel 250 (sold)
post #19 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

There's better ways to get to skyline than 66, Todi.

The dragon would have to come earlier for me this year, got a second kid due in July, and I'm out to Japan in late May/June. But, I might be able to negotiate for the fall...maybe. Who's turn is it to buy the next round?

I could do an ass early ride this Sunday, but the roads are still a bit graveled, fyi.

post #20 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
There's better ways to get to skyline than 66, Todi. The dragon would have to come earlier for me this year, got a second kid due in July, and I'm out to Japan in late May/June. But, I might be able to negotiate for the fall...maybe. Who's turn is it to buy the next round? I could do an ass early ride this Sunday, but the roads are still a bit graveled, fyi.
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!! The second boy?

Considering that you guys waited for me 1/2day, is my turn, I don't know, for few turns... Fall sounds good, June and the summer I'm busy too.

For Sunday, Mike, can you make it? We'll meet you Shmoo where you tell us. Asraiil, can you come up north?

post #21 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!! The second boy?

Considering that you guys waited for me 1/2day, is my turn, I don't know, for few turns... Fall sounds good, June and the summer I'm busy too.

For Sunday, Mike, can you make it? We'll meet you Shmoo where you tell us. Asraiil, can you come up north?
Todi, I'll let you know by Thursday. My son is going to be home from college this weekend, so I hate to take off for the whole day, but he may have plans for Sunday with his friends anyway.

post #22 of 52 Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
There's better ways to get to skyline than 66, Todi.

The dragon would have to come earlier for me this year, got a second kid due in July, and I'm out to Japan in late May/June. But, I might be able to negotiate for the fall...maybe. Who's turn is it to buy the next round?

I could do an ass early ride this Sunday, but the roads are still a bit graveled, fyi.
Congrats on #2 man. I'm sure we can figure out something for a trip this year. Todi should have room in his luggage to carry a couple of kids.

post #23 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Asraiil, can you come up north?
How far North are we talking here? I could meet up in Md somewhere, it usually takes me about an hour depending on traffic.

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
post #24 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Thanks, we're expecting a girl.

Todi, what time are you guys going?

Skyline Drive could get crowded, but earlier morning should be clear. My route takes us to 211 at the base of the mountain, but can be rerouted to start at Front Royal.

Ed, if we can make it happen, anywhere along 66, since that was Todi's original plan.

post #25 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Oh, 66 is easy then. Getting there'd be a nice little ride for me as well.

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
post #26 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asraiil View Post
Oh, 66 is easy then. Getting there'd be a nice little ride for me as well.
Asraiil, we can meet somewhere 95/495 and we can go together to meet Shmoo.

Quote:
Thanks, we're expecting a girl.

Todi, what time are you guys going?

Skyline Drive could get crowded, but earlier morning should be clear. My route takes us to 211 at the base of the mountain, but can be rerouted to start at Front Royal.

Ed, if we can make it happen, anywhere along 66, since that was Todi's original plan.
From 66 I can take 29 and will drop me at the bottom of 211 in Warrenton. One idea could be:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (177.2 KB, 17 views)

post #27 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

So meet in Warrenton? If that's the start/stop point I can get there pretty easy. If you want to meet on 66, Manassas would be easy with a quick hop to Warrenton or wherever we'd go after that. If we're meeting in Manassas I'd take 234, for Warrenton I'd do a combo 610/other backroads to 17 the rest of the way.

Either way I think I can do it Sunday morning. I might need to prep the wife for me being out all morning As much as I'd like to get her on her 929, the distance would probably crush her wrists since she hasn't been riding in a while (and she refuses to get something more comfortable...)

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
post #28 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Tesserarius

Anyone know if Fort Valley Rd. in Todi's attachment is gravel or not? That was the loop i had intended, but i couldn't make out paint lines on it so i thought 340 might be better. If it's paved that'd be freakin awesome

post #29 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

From 55 to Fort Valley to Egypts Bend to 211 is all paved.

Todi, 66 to 29 to 211 is boring, take a look at Carters Run or Crest Hill. Thatll connect 66 to base of 211, taking Fodderstack from 522. I know a lot of these roads, ran them hard for years.

Let me know what time you're thinking, I'll probably be heading home by noon. I can be up as early as need be.

post #30 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
From 55 to Fort Valley to Egypts Bend to 211 is all paved.

Todi, 66 to 29 to 211 is boring, take a look at Carters Run or Crest Hill. Thatll connect 66 to base of 211, taking Fodderstack from 522. I know a lot of these roads, ran them hard for years.

Let me know what time you're thinking, I'll probably be heading home by noon. I can be up as early as need be.
Both looks like fun roads. Where/when do you want to meet (I'm coming from Annapolis area)?

post #31 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Tesserarius

oh, nm about fort valley rd. i was thinking this was a shot of the whole skyline dr. looking for a n/s way to go from 33 up to 678..

post #32 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 01:14 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

There's a McD's in Marshall, right when you get off of 66.

Todi, it's your ride, so you let us know when's good for you.

Starting at 8am in Marshall should still get everyone home by the early afternoon, if we stuck with the posted route.

post #33 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 01:16 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Quote:
Ashburn is in NVA but at least its somewhat away from 495. It's a nice area. Still wouldn't enjoy riding there because of the police. I have friends who live/ride in NVA and I feel for them.

I'm pro police btw, I have tons of respect for police officers, but there's a few departments you just don't mess with. FFX is one of them.

Can't ride in Ashburn, gotta boot yourself 30 minutes to the west. However, I do see gents on their Sportsters riding up to Starbucks around here.

post #34 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
There's a McD's in Marshall, right when you get off of 66. Todi, it's your ride, so you let us know when's good for you. Starting at 8am in Marshall should still get everyone home by the early afternoon, if we stuck with the posted route.
Ok, sounds good but with the natzi police on 66 will take me at least 1.5h to get there and that with hauling ass on 50 and 495. How about 8:30? Post the address for MCD, Shmoo.

Jeffie, can you hold your farts for half a day?

post #35 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Should be this one:

McDonald's
4215 Winchester Rd
Marshall, VA 20115

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mc...f41b03ba316ae7

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
post #36 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

Yeah that's the one. 830 will work.

post #37 of 52 Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Ok, sounds good but with the natzi police on 66 will take me at least 1.5h to get there and that with hauling ass on 50 and 495. How about 8:30? Post the address for MCD, Shmoo.

Jeffie, can you hold your farts for half a day?
As much as I'd liked like to ride with you guys, I can't bring myself to ride 50 to 495 only to go to NVA. It's just not my cup of tea.

As far as the farts go, if you ride behind me just think of the 919 stink.
post #38 of 52 Old 04-16-2015, 04:35 AM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hopefully I'll be able to bring the Monster out. I've been waiting for a tool so I can adjust the chain tension (mine's way too loose), but since I stupidly placed the order with something that was backordered the shipment didn't leave until yesterday from California. To add to the problem, while I had it up on the stand I noticed the stupid wheel nut came loose, so now I have to run down a torque wrench that can go to 176 nM so I can re-tighten it properly.

I wonder if the base auto hobby shop has one... it'd be nice to do it there because I know they have an engine hoist to get the back end off the ground... Hmmmmm

If I can't get all that together I'll just see if the wife will let me bring her 929. It's been needing a run since she hasn't been riding it at all.

'07 Ducati Monster S4RS
'06 Honda 919 (sold)
post #39 of 52 Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I think for now, I will sit this one out since my son will be home from school. Have a safe ride! If something changes I will meet you guys at that McDonalds at 0830 on Sunday.

post #40 of 52 Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Have fun with the fam, we'll ride next time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode