Need a place to stay... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Need a place to stay...

Anyone have a bed open for one night somewhere near NYC, Allentown, PA, or Northern Maryland for 09/02/11? I'm riding from Indy to see my sister in Greenwich, CT over Labor Day and don't want to ride the whole way back on Tuesday.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

My little sister is living in Greenwich, CT working as a live-in nanny for some ultra rich folks. I haven't seen her in a while and also have never been to NYC, so I thought I'd visit her on the long weekend. I'm leaving Friday, Sept. 2nd and riding to Millsboro, DE to see my Aunt. On Saturday, take the scenic route up to Greenwich, CT. Sunday, we plan on riding the bike up to Cape Cod and just seeing whatever on the way. Monday, we will be taking the train into NYC to see Lady Liberty and so forth. That night, I was thinking of riding a couple hours west and spending the night before riding the rest of the way home on Tuesday. Plan on doing about 2,500 miles all together.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the most twisty way to get from DE to CT? Does anyone have a spare bed in eastern PA, Northern MD for Monday night? Is Plymouth, MA cool to see or should we take the time to go all the way up the Cape?

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #3 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Discen

I live in northern Montgomery county, MD pretty close to Fredrick, MD.

You could crash here for a night if you would like, but it might be too far south/out of your way. I am not really close to 95, so I dunno.

Although I don't have a bed, just an air mattress.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I can't help with the lodging, but Delaware to Greenwich, CT is 241 miles/4.5 hours by the slab through New Jersey via Interstate 95(NJ Turnpike-UGH!) and then you go over the George Washington Bridge(UGH!) to get to Connecticut on a Holiday Weekend. This looks extremely adventuresome to me knowing the area. The only twisties you will encounter will be entrance/exit ramps.

Detouring for some good roads will take you way out west of the I 95 slab in either NJ or PA and add to the mileage and saddle time. Your looking at 5 days/2500 miles plus a visitation in Delaware, check out the Cape(there is a day in itself from Greenwich and back), ride the rails to NYC(another day), and return home.

I did 500 miles/day for six days to get to the left coast in '96 on my first of five X country trips and was beat to death; and it was all slab. I would be happy to advise on routes in the Tri-State area(NJ, PA, & NY). I'm afraid you are going to be pressed for time with the proposed itinerary.

Weather & Traffic are the wildcards in this deck.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #5 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
Is Plymouth, MA cool to see or should we take the time to go all the way up the Cape?
I grew up in Plymouth so I am a little biased when I say bypass it but really it depends what you're in to. They have the Mayflower II, and Plymouth Plantation, the rock (can't even get close to it), and the America's Hometown tourist trap shops. Not much else, the traffic downtown can get stupid too. If you're a history buff maybe it's all worth it to you. Plymouth lately has been getting overcrowded and over built as well.

All the way up the Cape? You mean all the way out to Truro?

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #6 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I am sorry my in-laws will be in town watching my kid and the wife and I will be going to the Baltimore Grand Prix all weekend, which I have had planned for almost a year now!

post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

So, I think on Saturday, I will take the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May NJ and ride the coast up to Greenwich. I'm not pressed for time that day so don't care how long it takes. Due to the recommendations, I think I will bypass Cape Cod and Plymouth and ride to Mystic, Providence, RI, and maybe a little into MA before going back to Greenwich. Still looking for a place to stay on the way home though for Monday night...

post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I don't have a place for you along the way, but I can give you some tips if you're going to ride in.

- Don't ride in NYC (5 boroughs) if you have never been here before
- Riding the NJ coast will be more scenic, but watch out for traffic on the Garden State Parkway
- When you get to the NJ Turnpike (I-95) near Edison, take the truck lanes (truck drivers are more predictable and don't cluster together / create slowdowns like idiots in the car lanes)
- An alternate to taking the GW Bridge / Cross Bronx to get into CT is to ride up the Hudson on the Palisades Parkway and crossing over the Tappan Zee bridge and taking the Cross Westchester Expressway (less traffic, better road, more scenic, road has curves)

Feel free to post or PM me if you want any more info.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Tesserarius

Super 8

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #10 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml2727 View Post
Super 8
Uh boring...

post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I don't have a place for you along the way, but I can give you some tips if you're going to ride in.

- Don't ride in NYC (5 boroughs) if you have never been here before
- Riding the NJ coast will be more scenic, but watch out for traffic on the Garden State Parkway
- When you get to the NJ Turnpike (I-95) near Edison, take the truck lanes (truck drivers are more predictable and don't cluster together / create slowdowns like idiots in the car lanes)
- An alternate to taking the GW Bridge / Cross Bronx to get into CT is to ride up the Hudson on the Palisades Parkway and crossing over the Tappan Zee bridge and taking the Cross Westchester Expressway (less traffic, better road, more scenic, road has curves)

Feel free to post or PM me if you want any more info.
Tell me more... I'm not planning on riding in NYC.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
So, I think on Saturday, I will take the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May NJ and ride the coast up to Greenwich. I'm not pressed for time that day so don't care how long it takes. Due to the recommendations, I think I will bypass Cape Cod and Plymouth and ride to Mystic, Providence, RI, and maybe a little into MA before going back to Greenwich. Still looking for a place to stay on the way home though for Monday night...
Be advised that there is no real coast road in New Jersey. This is not like Maine. You will get off the Ferry at Cape May and head up the Garden State Parkway. You will end up connecting with I 95 (NJ Turnpike) and cross over the George Washington Bridge to get to Greenwich unless you shoot farther north for the Tappen Zee Bridge. Either of the tunnels will take you into the NYC proper. It might be wise to book passage on the Ferry in advance considering it is a Holiday Weekend.

I'm not being a grinch. Just trying to get some good "intel" across to you.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #13 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

What are your Sunday plans besides going to the statue of liberty? Depending on where you're visiting, I can recommend a few good restaurants in the city.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #14 of 15 Old 08-11-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Lady Liberty and Tiffany's are the only things on the agenda. I could use some good NY food!

post #15 of 15 Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Tiffany's? I guess you won't mind splurging a bit on food then. Some of my favorites somewhat close by walk or subway to the two locations you mentioned:

Japanese Ramen: Men Kui Tei - 56th between 5th and 6th ave
Sushi: Takahachi - 145 Duane St in Tribeca
Pizza: Lombardi's - 32 Spring St in Little Italy
Mexican: Rosa Mexicano - 1063 1st Ave
Mexican: Sinigual - 640 Third Ave
Seafood: Flex Mussels - 174 East 82nd St
Lobster rolls: Luke's Lobster - 242 East 81st St

More to come if you don't mind wandering further away from those two stops. The subway will be the easiest and most reliable way to get around once you're in the city. Cabs could be faster, but will cost a lot more. Don't bother wasting your time with the tour buses.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode