2008 Indy MotoGP Gathering for Members Sep 12, 2008 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 60 Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

2008 Indy MotoGP Gathering for Members Sep 12, 2008

Ok guys, I'm open to ideas and will happily help put together as many or as few group activities as everyone wants. I assume most people will want to spend time at the track for the pre-race events during the day on Friday and Saturday. As Kristen said, I thought it would be fun to get the WT group together at least for dinner and/or drinks, and I'm part owner of a cool little pub near downtown called Spencer's Stadium Tavern with an outstanding beer selection and great bar food.

I'm also open to a daytime ride if anyone wants to do so, although I'm not sure how many are coming in on bikes and like I said, most might want to spend their days at the track. I'll also offer to arrange taxi transportation for anyone that wants it, just so happens I'm in the taxi business.

We could do a small gathering on Friday night for people that are already in town if we wanted, and then a bigger one Saturday night, up to what everyone's into. I expect several people will have friends here in town as well, so it's just a matter of coordinating people's schedules.

What's everyone think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Can we get a show of hands here, gentlemen, and I use that term very loosely.

Before Scott goes through a bunch of work getting this together, how about letting us know if you would like to have:

1) a Friday night get together at his tavern
2) a Saturday night get together at his tavern
3) let's just meet up at the track
4) another suggestion/don't want to meet any of you people anyways
post #3 of 60 Old 08-15-2008, 03:19 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Pretty sure I will be in Town Friday night and up for anything anytime till Monday AM.

Just as long as I see the race that is!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

post #4 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

We will be a group of 5 adults and 1 minor. Is the minor allowed inside the tavern in Indiana? Is it an "age appropriate" place to bring a 6 year old?

We're open to either / both nights at Scott's place. Understand work goes into organizing so if we're to pick a night I'm good with Friday.

post #5 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 2

very cool

post #6 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

That would be cool... I could be up for Friday...

post #7 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
We will be a group of 5 adults and 1 minor. Is the minor allowed inside the tavern in Indiana? Is it an "age appropriate" place to bring a 6 year old?

We're open to either / both nights at Scott's place. Understand work goes into organizing so if we're to pick a night I'm good with Friday.
Minors are not allowed in taverns in Indiana, we do have a small outside deck (three tables) where children are allowed. It can get pretty rowdy and I expect with all that's going on in town that we'll have a large motorcycle crowd both weekend nights.

I'll check with my bar manager today and see which night he'd prefer for us to get together, will post more details later.

post #8 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Ok, after attending another City meeting on the MotoGP race week, I'm thinking that Friday night might be our best bet for a get together with all the events going on in town. We could meet at my tavern, which is just south of downtown, and anyone that wanted to park there could then walk uptown (about a mile) and see all the bikes and events.

Saturday night will be a zoo downtown and at the Tavern, there's a Kenny Chesney concert in the new stadium with an expected crowd of 40,000, in addition to the 100,000 to 250,000 that will already be downtown for MotoGP events and Bikes on Meridian.

I've posted quite a bit of information I've received from the Speedway, the City of Indianapolis and the police departments on this thread as well:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...027#post227027

Just wanted everyone to have a chance to check it out and have the inside scoop.

post #9 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

Sounds like a rocking good time!
For GPS plotting purposes will you share the name and address?

post #10 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Sounds like a rocking good time!
For GPS plotting purposes will you share the name and address?
Spencer's Stadium Tavern
802 S. West Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Here's our lame website, in dire need of updating as soon as we get a new host, but has a menu link: http://www.spencerstavern.com/

Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...&cd=1&resnum=2

I'd like to get an idea of how many people want to meet up and how many will be riding motorcycles, so we can plan accordingly. As I've already said, there will be so much to do in Indianapolis that weekend, I don't expect this to be much more than a meet and greet and then we can go check out the downtown festivities, either together or individually. Gin and I will be riding so that we can join in the "Motorcycles on Meridian" event, Hornets gotta represent!

post #11 of 60 Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

I'll be there.... and more than likely on foot? Or car... Or horseback!

I will want to see as much of everything as possible....

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #12 of 60 Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Dammit to hell... I'm still trying to get my tickets.

Whatever you guys do, do not let Midwest drink Gin sleep inside the tavern... YOU HAVE BEEN WARN!!!

post #13 of 60 Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I am open to a Friday night meet and greet. My tickets were delivered to me this morning.

post #14 of 60 Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM

I got my tickets in the mail Saturday. Anyone want to buy them? I have a post about them in the for sale section.

post #15 of 60 Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Daniel does!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #16 of 60 Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM
necked 919

I'm in for Friday... unless I get "invited" to the Yamaha party

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #17 of 60 Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I'll be back in Indianapolis Saturday night, will try and get a head count and pm contact my info to those that want to meet up.

post #18 of 60 Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
Daniel does!
I am a poor sap, if I don't get invited to these things, I don't go... is that simple.

It appears my Distributor came through after all... it all now depends on how expensive the airfair, hotels and rent-a-car are now that we are so close to the dates.

I if do go, I am going to be sporting VIP tickets and I don't know if it will be frown upon to be seen with regular ticket holders...

post #19 of 60 Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

You can tell them I'm a local celebrity if that helps

post #20 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

i'm in for Friday! will be in the short bus (so anyone camping at the track, i'm in lot 2 and should have 4 seats available to roll wherever) hit me up some info Scott and anyone else.

post #21 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Awards Showcase

OK, finally!!!...

Confirmation for VIP tickets ---------- Checked
Traveling Arrangments --------------- Checked
Hotels Accomodations --------------- Checked
Car Rental Reservations ------------- Checked

Whoooooooo Hoooooooo....

I am also going with my 2 partners and will be taking my oldest son (16 yrs old) so I am hoping they will not mind mingle with regular ticket holders for a couple of hours...

Some of you have my cell, some of you don't and it is better that way...

post #22 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Would it be a good idea for us to gather for that dirt track thing goin on one night?

Is that going to be something to see? Or skip it altogether? Thoughts?

I've determined we are leaving here EARLY - like 3 am Friday morning and going right to the track as soon as we get there for any Friday activities! Should be there well before lunch!

Daniel... watch your email next week... I will send you my cell # and we can make sure we hook up and I can take your VIP tix for Sunday!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #23 of 60 Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Would it be a good idea for us to gather for that dirt track thing goin on one night?

I'm sure the flat track race at the state fairgrounds will be interesting but I have no big urge to attend. There will be so much going on downtown both Friday and Saturday nights with streets closed off for bike parking and special events, I'll probably go that direction. Hardcore race fans might really enjoy the flat trackers though, supposed to be great racing.

I should say that I'm hoping I will be around MotoGP week, would be really bummed to miss meeting everyone and the race itself, but our situation has become a bit tenuous with my mother and Ginger's uncle. Family comes first of course and we'll just have to hope it all works out for the best.

post #24 of 60 Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

how much bike only stuff is going on in downtown? as in, is it worth pulling a trailer to have the bikes for the weekend?

post #25 of 60 Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Tons of bike stuff, but much of it will probably be posing and walking around. Friday and Saturday nights will feature thousands of bikes parked on Meridian downtown with several exhibits, concerts, shows, etc.

post #26 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 04:38 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Looking forward to it!

post #27 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Still curious how many plan to bring their bikes, anyone? Blue, if I were coming and had the truck and trailer, I'd tote the bikes along just to be part of the whole two wheeled extravaganza on two wheels. Up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle and gas money though.

post #28 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:

You know, I always had people telling me that I shouldn't miss the dirt track race at Daytona and I always though, maybe next year we should do it. Up to this day, I have not seen one, I just can get the thought around my head that I'm going to like it but... if everyone wants to hit that and then the bar, I'm game.

I've determined we are leaving here EARLY - like 3 am Friday morning and going right to the track as soon as we get there for any Friday activities! Should be there well before lunch!

Our flight doesn't get to Indy until about 5:30 PM on Friday so we will miss the whole practices and motorcycle scene during the day, couldn't get anything else this late in the game.

Daniel... watch your email next week... I will send you my cell # and we can make sure we hook up and I can take your VIP tix for Sunday!

Unless you have changed it from the W/T Tampa Shin-Dig, I have it but might as well refresh it for me. Don't even dream about VIP tickets, I am still waiting for a Thank you note from that Awesome T-Shirt you took from me to be able to be used as a Pijama

Quote:
Looking forward to it!
Me to, more so because I had promised my son that one day I was going to take it to a Daytona week and I couldn't, then, to a Laguna race and that got busted to hell so... I am more thrilled for him that for me, seeing some of you guys is just the icing on the cake.

Anyways, are we still on for the get together on that said bar? Have we done a head count yet? Just saying

post #29 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Still curious how many plan to bring their bikes, anyone? Blue, if I were coming and had the truck and trailer, I'd tote the bikes along just to be part of the whole two wheeled extravaganza on two wheels. Up to you to decide if it's worth the hassle and gas money though.
yeah i think we decided to do it. will also let us bring much more in the way of creature comforts for the camping lot

post #30 of 60 Old 08-31-2008, 12:22 PM
necked 919

Quote:
My bike is already there, but I'm looking forward to riding it home more than going to the races... well that and meeting the WT crowd on Friday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ray & Jere-sml.jpg (416.4 KB, 4 views)

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #31 of 60 Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Looks like Im goin -
For those of you who know the area , how far off is the airport from the track ? Wonderin if I need to get a car , or just use a cab/bus ?

post #32 of 60 Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Looks like Im goin -
For those of you who know the area , how far off is the airport from the track ? Wonderin if I need to get a car , or just use a cab/bus ?
Sent you a PM with lots of Indianapolis info, for others that haven't been here before though, here's a brief synopsis...

The airport is on the same side of town but several miles from the track, you'll have to take a taxi or shuttle bus from there. My taxis don't sit at the airport, only the small independent companies line up and wait there, but would be glad to arrange a pickup if anyone needs one. A taxi from the airport to downtown costs about $20, maybe about the same to the track.

Indy doesn't have a great public transit system, consists strictly of bus lines and they don't go everywhere or run long hours. Plenty of cabs available and I'm glad to hook anyone that needs a cab up with a Yellow Cab driver, a taxi ride from the track to downtown would cost approx $15-$17 and from downtown to Broadripple will run about $15 as well. Indianapolis is a car town, it's spread out and the easiest way to get around is to drive. Not a whole lot of services out by the track, just a few fast food restaurants within walking distance. Downtown has tons of nice restaurants and bars and is all very walkable and safe, so no problem there. Broadripple is north of downtown near Butler University and has a bunch of bars and funky shops, big nighttime party spot for the college age crowd. Mass. Ave. is walkable from downtown and is the arts district, lots of unique shops, bars, galleries and alternative lifestyles if you're into that.

I'll be glad to answer any questions or help arrange transportation, just PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

Scott

post #33 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I will be on the bike unless there is rain. I really don't want to ride to the race, sit in rain all day, then ride home.

post #34 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Sent you a PM with lots of Indianapolis info, for others that haven't been here before though, here's a brief synopsis...

You are da man ! Still waiting to hear bout hotel specfics - looks like a cab would be cheaper than having to pay for parking, wow , 40 bucks is not cheap !

So, the shindig is saturday evening ?

post #35 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

thought it was friday...

post #36 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

ya friday is the 12th...

post #37 of 60 Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Friday is what we've been aiming for at this point.

post #38 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Im in - Me + 2

post #39 of 60 Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

it may be me + 2 or 6... depends on my work buddy and his companions. not sure yet.

post #40 of 60 Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

I received an email from our website yesterday, inquiry about transportation for a group of 28 coming in from Switzerland! Thought that was cool and a good clue about what type of crowd we might expect for this inaugural race.

I spoke with my tavern general manager Dustin yesterday, he says there's a bacholerette party of about 30 people starting at 5pm Friday that will probably wind down by 7 or 8. Guess there's nothing wrong with drunken party girls, might add some excitement to our gathering.

So I'm thinking meet up around 7:30 to 8pm, get to know each other and chat for awhile, then head uptown for the Bikes on Meridian and Sportbike Freestyle events. What does everyone think?

Does anybody plan to ride their motorcycles and then park downtown for the night's events? I had thought Gin and I would, but that of course limits our party fun, maybe we'll do a walk through on Friday night and motorcycles on Saturday night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode