XR1200 Wub - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

XR1200 Wub

Yeah, I've definitely never felt this way about a Harley before - love the look, love the color, love the exhaust sounding not so Harley and the entire package looking not at all like a Sportster. Sat on one today...the one my brother put a deposit on (limited edition right now, 750 orange ones made). I get a crack at it when I get back from SE Asia...until then, the waiting is the hardest part. What do ya'll think, a Harley for the people?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...#/model/xr1200

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Mc 9er

i thought that bike was'nt coming here,or am i confusing it with somthing else?

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #3 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Nope..... its here!!!!

Still leaning torward a FatBob...... but I stil might sit on this before my decision is made....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster

post #4 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I heard it on the radio this weekend, there are a limited number coming. The dealer (Patriot HD in the DC area) said they had ordered 3 and they were sure of 1, but not sure they would get the others. I expect you will pay thru the nose to get one.

post #5 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I like the look and would take a test ride if I had the chance. But 74 ft lbs on a (nearly) 600 pound bike? I'm guessing most would be underwhelmed, especially coming off a 919 or something comparable.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yeah, first run is 750 bikes, all HD orange. My bro is trading his Nighster 1200 in for one, and is getting a fantastic deal. The dealer is giving him the original MSRP of his bike for trade value, and charging MSRP for the XR! He's out about 2,600 to upgrade...no brainer for him, but I'm with ya, it won't have the speed or the handling of the bikes many of us have...but it is beautiful.

post #7 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

i like it...sort of

but, well, i'm guessing fat boy when the time comes

post #8 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
Nope..... its here!!!!

Still leaning torward a FatBob...... but I stil might sit on this before my decision is made....

+1 on the Fat Bob , one of the few HDs Id EVER consider owning - Now that they are bringin it over, they need to have a spec XR class, like they did with the 883s back in the day - Awesome racing there, both Bostrom brothers baning elbows with Scott Zamapach down the back straight @ Road A - now those were some races !

post #9 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Unbannable

I like it, but if I were to get a Harly it would have to be the Nightster.

post #10 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Occasionally I agree with Steve.

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #11 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

For an inexpensive H-D that is easily modded for more performance ... I like it. But, real men ride "Springers".

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #12 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I thought real men rode a Pan Head. They have a race series in Spain for these. They switch to 17" wheels upgrade brakes, & suspension. Sounds like fun they call it the BBQ series.

post #13 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Got this review from Motorcycle USA in an email today:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/113/19...vid=1543987385

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-23-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Occasionally I agree with Steve.
I have to say, I hated his Nightster. Yes, it was good looking and was all motorcycle, no frills (like a Tach), but there was NO suspension travel...bottomed that thing out all day long and not exactly a joy to drive for more than 20 miles or so. For a city bike - sure, but you'd want another in your stable to handle more robust activities.

post #15 of 30 Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Stopped by the local HD dealer to see if they got their XR in.

Yep, but I missed it, came in and out very quickly, they are hoping for 2-3 more, they have a waiting list.

In the meantime, sat on the FatBob again, and the V-Rod to compare...... FatBob stills wins out in the comfort dept.

Saleperson I am working with is very cool..... knows I am waiting until the automotive industry settles down. In the meantime, he gave me a rough idea of trade value of the 919, in case I cant sell her in the springtime. Wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #16 of 30 Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Sort of an update....

Stopped by the HD dealer this evening to sit on a few bikes....

HD is running that deal where you buy a Sportster now, and if you trade it in within year on a Big Bore bike, they will give you full MSRP back as trade in....

So, I 1st once again sat on a Sporty... forget it, just too small. Went back over to the FatBob and V-Rod.... both are nice..... chatted a bit with the sales manager.... nice guy, knows I am in the auto business, so he is pretty open in how the deal would go down. Times are slow for them also..... would not charge me any set-up, or MV Doc fees, and would even work on the price of the bike.....

On the way out, the door to the service dept was open... and in there was a XR1200 prepped, ready for its new owner. I asked if I could throw a leg over it, even though it was a Sold unit.... he said of course. Nice bike.... leg room is definitly more cramped then the 919, but it was a good looking bike...

Well, I went right home, and uncovered the 9'r and sat on her, and said to myself..... " What the heck am I thinkin " ...... the 919 just plain fits me.... so much more comfortable then the HD's, even the FatBob and V-rod had certain things ( air cleaner or frame ) that would just be up against my thigh or upper leg that would make it uncomfortable after awhile

.....and the 919 is paid for. So, I am done shopping for now..... the 9'r is still a keeper...

My home equity loan can breath a sigh of relief....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #17 of 30 Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:

.....and the 919 is paid for. So, I am done shopping for now..... the 9'r is still a keeper...

i sat on a bandit 1250s................. yeah.... ummm... i want one...

post #18 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Sort of an update....

Stopped by the HD dealer this evening to sit on a few bikes....

HD is running that deal where you buy a Sportster now, and if you trade it in within year on a Big Bore bike, they will give you full MSRP back as trade in....

So, I 1st once again sat on a Sporty... forget it, just too small. Went back over to the FatBob and V-Rod.... both are nice..... chatted a bit with the sales manager.... nice guy, knows I am in the auto business, so he is pretty open in how the deal would go down. Times are slow for them also..... would not charge me any set-up, or MV Doc fees, and would even work on the price of the bike.....

On the way out, the door to the service dept was open... and in there was a XR1200 prepped, ready for its new owner. I asked if I could throw a leg over it, even though it was a Sold unit.... he said of course. Nice bike.... leg room is definitly more cramped then the 919, but it was a good looking bike...

Well, I went right home, and uncovered the 9'r and sat on her, and said to myself..... " What the heck am I thinkin " ...... the 919 just plain fits me.... so much more comfortable then the HD's, even the FatBob and V-rod had certain things ( air cleaner or frame ) that would just be up against my thigh or upper leg that would make it uncomfortable after awhile

Troy, you're finally coming to your senses!

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Troy, you're finally coming to your senses!
It will be temporary..... my wife laughs at me..... I constantly have to shop and see if I want something else....

I need you guys to help keep me in line....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #20 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

that trade in deal where you get msrp back was a nice gimmick, maybe that's the wrong word, marketing point. i know quite a few folks checking it out.

i know the sportster won't work for me and it'll be some time b4 i'm shopping for anything new but i do like some of the options HD is showing vice 10yrs ago.

post #21 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
that trade in deal where you get msrp back was a nice gimmick, maybe that's the wrong word, marketing point. i know quite a few folks checking it out.

i know the sportster won't work for me and it'll be some time b4 i'm shopping for anything new but i do like some of the options HD is showing vice 10yrs ago.
Well, Its working for them..... more for the guys upgrading , who already own a Sportster..... By the end of the week , he will have 6 trade Sporty's there....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #22 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Well, Its working for them..... more for the guys upgrading , who already own a Sportster..... By the end of the week , he will have 6 trade Sporty's there....
i have 4 sportsters (1 883 1 1200 and 2 1200 custums) on the floor right now with a 100th aniv softtail that i cant get rid of...............

post #23 of 30 Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Oh .... he admits he will have to sell them at a net/net deal or even lose money....

HD is giving the dealer $1500 for each Sporty traded in to help offset inventory costs.... but that wont be enough...

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #24 of 30 Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Okay, so I finally had an opportunity to drive my brother's around for about 20 miles or so. Forgive the non-technical review, as I'm most familiar with the 9er, I'm going to try and use it as relative point so non-owners who care, sorry

Exhaust\Engine - not what you would expect. The apparently aluminum canisters do not give you the trademark Harley sound, which is a bonus to me. Not too loud and relatively menacing. Nice sound. The bike still shakes a bit like his Nightster did (a little less...like they attempted to balance the engine and gave up halfway through). Unlike the Nightster's lethargic rev, the throttle is surprisingly responsive though nowhere near the 9er (as you would expect).

She's a five speed, but the gearing is done relatively well and I was never REALLY missing the 6th gear, even while at 80 MPH. Would have been nice, but without a windscreen, not so pleasant at that speed anyway. 75 felt like a dream. Good acceleration, geared differently than his Nightster which was all torque, this one gives way to more of a usable top end. My bro says he can get the front up without too much hassle and that the suspension is tight enough that he can get the thing airborne on speed bumps...I didn't confirm this personally.

Suspension/ride - The ride is comparable to the 9er in stiffness and it cruises effortlessly at all speeds. I've heard the 9er called a brick before - THIS is a brick, be it one that grabs the road on twisties pretty well, though you feel the heft at low speeds. The riding position is like sitting in a barstool...that's the best way I can describe it...your legs are slightly tucked behind you and relative to the 9er, the handlebars are a bit closer and higher.

Overall, I really like it. Great smiles per mile, and a beauty to boot (I LOVE orange, though). Hoping to get an extended tour with her once he is looking for variety (he always looks the 9er's way). With a windscreen, we got ourselves a good little day tripper.

Money talks though, right? If I were in the market for a bike in that segment, would I spend my hard earned dollars on one? Yes. Definitely worth a look.

post #25 of 30 Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The Dealer in Dothan has a XR1200, and I sat on it for 10 whole seconds!
Now I have a few Harleys in my barn along with the 919, and I have built a few Sporties from ground up, and went through the engines and such....

Now back to the XR. That seat just plain SUCKS! Go get a square box made of metal that does not give, and the sharp edges will dig into the lower part of your legs, feet on pegs is alittle better but not much.
Other than that, I like the handle bars, and just about everything else, but the seat has to go.

Just my 10 whole seconds worth...........I would love to have one, with a Corbin saddle.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #26 of 30 Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
TACOS ROCK!!!

Just sold my sportster to help moding the 9er and to help while i'm laid off.i'm going back to work tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the fatbob also maybe in may if i can save some doe.harleys are a little impractical in vegas in the summertime always worring if its going to get to hot and pinging under a load. But after midnight there awsome.

Wheelie's Happen !
post #27 of 30 Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Saw one this weekend at the World of Wheels show in Chicago. Nice looking bike. They wouldn't let you sit on it though or touch it at all.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The seat didn't bug me so much - but I haven't put a lot of time in as of yet (just about a half hour) so too early to say, really. The rear seat is a joke, however. No suppor there whatsoever.

Funny they wouldn't let you sit on it in Chicago - it's not the most expensive bike in the world...but I guess when my brother picked it up from the dealer, one of the service managers complimented him on it and said something like we won't be seeing it a lot as it's a collectors item. My brother told him no, it'll be my daily driver (he put 7500 miles on his Nightster in a year) and the guy looked at him like he was insane and expressed his shock that someone would actually drive a limited production bike.

There's one for sale in town for 14k with 5 miles on it, already someone trying to cash in on the initial run.

post #29 of 30 Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedeGopher View Post
There's one for sale in town for 14k with 5 miles on it, already someone trying to cash in on the initial run.
suede... you oughta see the cycle trader here.. people trying to unload harleys... and the custom choppers... omg... so many people bought one (iron horse, eddie trotta, bourgets, etc) and took it in the butt... now they are trying to get rid of these things....

and can't...

post #30 of 30 Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I was shocked to see someone would be willing to pre-order an XR1200 with the intent of reselling it to make a quick buck in this economy! Timing is everything, as your Cycle Trader shows...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode