versys? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

versys?

as much as ive read about this bike theres only one thread in WT about it... coming off a pretty bad wreck on my 919 im gettin back in the saddle but want to do it with less ponies... im not ready to buy just yet but when i do id like to stay with no to minimal body work(naked bike) kawi first introed it as dual purpose.. but seeing it in person i knew better... has anyone really got an opinion about this bike first hand? and judging by not seeing any in the sporting twins section im guessing not too sporty? i looked on versys.com but they seem biased toward that bike. ive sat on one at the dealer but not rode one. it felt good but my other choice was the sv650 (or i guess the gladius, not that easy on the eyes) which seems to get huge reviews... is this an overlooked bike or ignored for good reason? ive read everything to be read on it and still am unsure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Actually the versys was boty for one magazine.. Can't remember which mag .. But its a capable bike with good reviews

post #3 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

if you want to stick with Honda you can always get a 599. I hear they are a blast to ride.

Press Any Key To Continue.

post #4 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
if you want to stick with Honda you can always get a 599. I hear they are a blast to ride.
I think that's a great choice! But I just have to say Chuck. Any one of these bikes is going to be able to do 60mph in a turn and will slide out from under you if you apply the rear break to hard. I think you should just be looking out for what ever you feel the most comfortable on.

post #5 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
as much as i liked my 919 barton said it himself'' that was a bad weld'' ... thats enough to take them off my list and inspect any bike i do wind up on with a fine tooth comb... even if it takes an hour and i have to have the salesman pull out 3 or 4 of the same bike

post #6 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
I think that's a great choice! But I just have to say Chuck. Any one of these bikes is going to be able to do 60mph in a turn and will slide out from under you if you apply the rear break to hard. I think you should just be looking out for what ever you feel the most comfortable on.
Great point. Even a 250cc dual sport could go fast enough easy enough to get you in trouble. Great advice.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr3ncher View Post
as much as i liked my 919 barton said it himself'' that was a bad weld'' ... thats enough to take them off my list and inspect any bike i do wind up on with a fine tooth comb... even if it takes an hour and i have to have the salesman pull out 3 or 4 of the same bike
I don't think I'd let one suspicious weld deter me from buying an extremely reliable, high quality ride like a Honda. I'm no welding expert, but I do know (with what welding experience I do have) welding two different materials together can prove difficult and can leave the weld as the weak point. As banged up as the other side of the swing arm is, it too one heck of a hit and something had to break.

Whatever you choose, be safe and ride within your limits, the limits of the bike, and the limits of the current conditions.

post #7 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
im well aware of that and know full well speed had alot to do with my accident... but im really just guessing i hit the back brakes too hard... i cant really say for sure what made the bike slide... all i do know is the wheel locked up from the mark on it... its a turn i know well and went thru a bunch of times, faster even. i blame myself either way... a lil slower and id had more time to react, bail, anything. im not new to motorcycles. just think i bit off more than i could chew with one with this much power. i wanna stay riding just want to tone it down a bit. its hard too to find out what your comfortable riding. even 8 years with motorcyle lic try to find test drive friendly dealer cuz i cant

post #8 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I do know metals and welding.. Father owned metal fab shop.. Learned to weld as a teen.. After LE went back to welding for 8 yrs before injury and sales......
That is not two different types of metal.. And with a proper weld the metal around it will break before the weld does..

post #9 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
That is not two different types of metal.. And with a proper weld the metal around it will break before the weld does..
thanks for sayin that and i do still say it was my fault... i told myself when i first noticed it i was lookin elsewhere for my next ride... not sayin every one should burn their honda... but they gave me the short end of the stick for the price tag... and they lost a customer for it... its not a top notch bike either... were you the only one with out break squeal off the lot? cuz thats the biggest complaint on those bikes... i dont build bikes but welds and brakes wouldnt be where i cut corners if i was lookin to sell a bike for just under 10k new... dont want to sound hostile but i do feel honda let atleast me down this time... and just to add these last 4 posts dont belong in sporting twins... lol.. not important tho just ride that over zealous lawnmower safely... ill advocate that

post #10 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Well susuki has had frame problems in the past and present .. Honda kawa everyone has a problem at sometime.. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.. Get whatever new bike you want and then spend time getting to know it with maybe a track day or 3 to sharpen the skills.. I smacked a buick 20 years ago when it made a illegal left in front me... Now I am skilled enough I could probly avoid that same accident...
Rest up heal.. Then let's start over slowly... Everythings gonna be fine

post #11 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
I do know metals and welding.. Father owned metal fab shop.. Learned to weld as a teen.. After LE went back to welding for 8 yrs before injury and sales......
I just knew someone would correct me on that one. That's why I never weld anything important!!!

BTW: I did know both metals in the swingarm are the same. Just formed using different methods. The arms are extruded and the front part is cast Aluminum, right?

post #12 of 19 Old 12-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I saw one at the cycle show and liked it! Granted not the umph of 9r, but smaller bikes can be funner!

post #13 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Ive ridden bothe Versys and the Sv and they are really two diffrent bikes -
Versys - Posuer wanna be dual sport - Buzzy, no motor to speal of . I didnt like it, no sir not all . Kind of makes me wonder what crack the crew @ Motorcyclist were smoking to call it BOTY ! - If dual sport is in your future, give a KLR or DR a good checking out .
SV - Great bike ,loads of fun, cheap reliable I could go on and on -

While looking, dont foget the VStrom 650 - Better wind protection than the Versys, and its got a version of the killer Sv motor --

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #14 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I would take the WeeStrom over the Versys on any day of the week.

post #15 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Versys - Posuer wanna be dual sport - Buzzy, no motor to speal of . I didnt like it, no sir not all . Kind of makes me wonder what crack the crew @ Motorcyclist were smoking to call it BOTY ! - If dual sport is in your future, give a KLR or DR a good checking out .

While looking, dont foget the VStrom 650 - Better wind protection than the Versys, and its got a version of the killer Sv motor --
Interesting, you confirmed versus's anemic torque at 45ftlbs! When my 9r dies I am getting a Bandit or VStrom. If gas is then $7 (honda's last forever..), then the WeeStrom.

post #16 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Interesting, you confirmed versus's anemic torque at 45ftlbs! When my 9r dies I am getting a Bandit or VStrom. If gas is then $7 (honda's last forever..), then the WeeStrom.

It wasnt that it didnt pull, it just runs out of steam ALOT earlier than the Vstrom , plus I think it revs slow ( and this is coming from a Buell rider )and , I dont know how to put it, I just didnt like the motor , but, I do like the Ninja 650r, so I know its not a hatred for the parrael twin thing -- Its really close as far as numbers go ot the Vstrom as best I can rember, but, it just doesnt fel as good as it. - But, Im used to bikes with 60 FtLbs or better so Im kind of biased -

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #17 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

see thats where i get flustered... i sat on both... the versys definitely feels lighter, and i like that... the vstrom definitly has more rain/wind protection, problem is i like that too... the motor im not terribly worried about until i read of either having timebomb qualities at 5k miles... as far as dual sport goes im done with that sort of thing other than occasion brisk but controlled rides down plowed gravel fire roads, and i mean these are actual roads on a map that cars travel semi frequent... the one thing i didnt like about the versys that the vstrom shares is that the oil filter is wide open to something hitting it which really only becomes an issue off road(how many of you carry an extra oil filter and two or three quarts of oil in your side bags??)... i did more investigation on the sv and vstrom and they have a quirk thats an easy fix but the front sparkplug hole tends to get water in it... lil bit of dialectric grease or even vasoline fixes it so they say... but im still not goin off road unless somethng is coming at me in my lane which makes me lean to kawasaki... both bikes have power from lightweight sport/standards with cams to "improve midrange power" a delicate way of saying more torque but less top end... ive never had a vtwin but my old cb450sc was a siamese twin like the versys... i swear singer had their name all over that engine but the vibration never bothered me... both are mod-able.... just wanted to see what others said about it... i dont really want a tank if im not gonna use it off road but it would suck to turn down a tried and true machine and find the versys was prone to alot of expensive stuff breaking... even thought about the klr but even with new more road friendly characteristics i spend way too much time on the highway for one... just to add my last bike may it rest in pieces was the 06 919 that i bought brand new and laid to rest with 8000 miles in 6 months and it would have over 12k on it by now

post #18 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Honda gives you wiiings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post

i hear you on that ... they first listed the versys as dual sport and i went to see it in person and i said to the sales guy... who are they kidding... thats not even dirt bike-esque... i told him it looks like a cool bike but they shouldnt kid themselves about it being a dual sport... and watching the video for the versys done by kawi they bring it in the dirt but its at 5mph and they never slide it or do anything dirty to it... dual sport like i said is out of the question... i do way too much highway for another klr... but i got to say i see alot of vstrom 650s for sale with over 15k miles is this cuz they start to have problems that high up, bad maintenance, or just time for a new bike... the versys is only been out a year so its hard to guage them but i looked on ebay and only saw one... guy laid it down supposedly in grass... makes me think he saw it in the dualsport catalog from 08... by not seeing them is it that they are decent bikes and they are holding onto them or has it just not been out there long enough? im leaning toward the versys but have a few months yet to decide... the vstrom is just a tank when you sit on it.. you can feel how heavy it is and its kinda the ugly duck in the bunch... if you sit on the versys say 10 to 15 minutes after, you notice right away how much lighter it feels and in my opinion its better looking... either bike if i get it there will be mods... i saw a versys on youtube decked out as a super motard.. i dont think id go that far but its kinda nice to think that it can be done... the vstrom makes me feel like its highway friendly and dirt friendly but you wouldnt want to be on either for long periods... its big so its probably not flickable like youd need in real woods riding and seems like a more upright ride than the versys which would take its toll on the highway doin 70 all day

post #19 of 19 Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

For pretty much anything you could ever want to know about the V-Strom see here: V-Strom Riders International Forum

It was on my short list before I got the 9'er and I spent some time there reading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode