Tuono- a learning curve - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thumbs up Tuono- a learning curve

Hi Everyone, My history has included many bikes from Improved touring race bikes (pre superbike), GP 250's, Supermono's etc., most Jap fours, v fours,K750, K1200rs and a number of twins from Yamaha tr1, BMW r100's, . Vtr1000. Ducati round case 750, but the Tuono has been a different journey(not as bad as the ducati 750). I bought a 2003 tuono with full service history and 48000 klm's on the clock, went for a 20 klm ride and loved that engine, steering and ride position, but thought the suspension was pretty average.
I got it home and the rear was set at 136mm spring length so I moved that to 144mm(147mm Standard) and immediately got a more compliant rear. Any way I soften up both the rear and front settings after setting the sag and it was a reasonable improvement.
On my first long ride the clocks reset and I noticed the poor voltage reading on the dash. Over the next 6 rides the Tuono came home in my van 3 times due to a number of reasons, almost all of them common faults.

1. clutch failed due to no fibers left
2. Clutch fluid black and replaced
3. rear brake fluid replace ( no rear brake)
4. Alternator connector (white between cylinders)
5. Rectifier connector (brown at rear seat)
6. Rectifier(replaced with 37A one)
7. Increased cable size to reduce voltage drop problems
8. removed and reconnected all connections (fixing connections with heat shrink compressed under the terminals)
9. Starter solenoid short cct. (replaced with Yamaha upgrade)
10. Gearing 16-44(in Australia the speed limit is 100 kph, you would not even use top gear, I have a friend who races his at Phillip Island and he does not get into top. This is one of the fastest tracks in the world.)
11. Pipe mod(to fix dip)
12. Gabro 255 chip (the man knows his stuff)
13. Ohlins AP8240 shock ( the sachs actually works well when pushing on but lacks compliance compared to an Ohlins)

As a friend of mine said to me, 'it's Italian, that's called character'. I have now put 2500klm's on the bike and it is fun in the twisties, that motor is the best twin I have ridden(including Ducati's) and nothing goes wrong anymore, so I am putting the learning curve down to getting to know the bike and I think we are going to have a long affair.

PS I still have my hornet which is great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2015, 03:17 AM
Left of Centre

You're a patient man, mate - just as well you've still got the Hornet, eh?

post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Well, it is a 12 year old bike...... But not all that many kilometers on it.

I wonder why the clutch got toasted? Perhaps the tall gearing played a part in that.

Where did you put a heavier cable. I've done that to the Super Duke, from the battery, to the starter. I'd definitely spins faster.

What is the Pipe Mod?

What is a Gabro Chip?

Ive always had a soft spot for Tuonos. My Super Duke has many of the same engine characteristics. I nearly bought a Tuono on more than one occasion. Can you post up a pic?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome aboard! Brisbane is one of the best cities in the world! Post some bike pics!

post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi, the cable mod is similar to the upgrade on vfr750's, larger size cable to reduce heat and voltage losses from the alternator to the rectifier and then from the rectifier to the battery. My starter problems came from high resistance earth terminals and a failing starter solenoid. The pipe mod is balancing tubes between front and rear pipes to improve flow. This and a Gabro (Italian race guy who specializes in aprilia's ) Eprom's ignition and fuel map removes a flat spot between 4-6000rpm.

My hornet (ohlins ,carbon fibred, PC3 mapped, Yoshy exhaust, etc.) on the road is just about as much fun.just different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg header mod tuono 1.jpg (365.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Photo091.jpg (122.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Tuono 23-2-15e.jpg (349.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Photo040.jpg (224.3 KB, 18 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode