The SV got a little brake upgrade... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Di"zx"en

The SV got a little brake upgrade...

The SV stops almost as good as a Honda now. I was doing a little research to see what could be done and came across SVracingparts.com After e-mailing Blair (Owner) and then talking with him for a bit, his Nissin caliper adapter sounded like the hot ticket for me. Well after snapping up a pair of CBR954 4 pot calipers and his caliper adapters, the result is nothing short of incredible. Stainless lines and a radial master to follow......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nissin_sv.jpg (121.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg niss_tok_sv.jpg (100.1 KB, 34 views)

That'll work........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Le So Cal Troll

OH yeah, from 2 pot floating to 4 pot fixed... that should make a very nice upgrade in braking performance.

Though im surprised that the ratios were anywhere close to right as far as the piston sizes... though maybe it just works out better like that.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

IMO: I would have first gone with SS braided lines and a good set of HH brake pads. It's probably more brake then you will ever need. Just ask the club racers with basically stock SV's.

If you want the "cool" factor then your mod. would be next.

Keep in mind, the stock SV master cyl. was designed for the stock SV calipers. Piston ID and volume are important parameters. Use this same stock master cylinder with different calipers and less than optimum breaking will occur.

Oh BTW; Putting it nicely Blair is out to sell parts, he can be very one sided and negative.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Di"zx"en

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650s View Post
IMO: I would have first gone with SS braided lines and a good set of HH brake pads. It's probably more brake then you will ever need. Just ask the club racers with basically stock SV's.

If you want the "cool" factor then your mod. would be next.

Keep in mind, the stock SV master cyl. was designed for the stock SV calipers. Piston ID and volume are important parameters. Use this same stock master cylinder with different calipers and less than optimum breaking will occur.

Oh BTW; Putting it nicely Blair is out to sell parts, he can be very one sided and negative.
Could care less ... well maybe a little about the "cool" factor... Really? I wouldnt have guessed Suzuki put a front brake master on it designed for the twin piston calipers..Thanks for the wisdom, something I DIDNT or EVER would have thought of...

Oh...by the way. It did get a set of the "coveted" HH pads before I installed the calipers.The lines and a radial M/C are due to be on my door step Saturday. I'll shoot you over the specs on the master to see if you approve of the numbers.....

I should of probably consulted with the club racers with basically stock SV's to see if I really needed an Ohlins, a set of Traxxion cartridges
and brakes on my bike seeing that I'm ONLY riding it on the street. My appologies.

Its a shame Blair put a hair up your a _ _ to bash him. Nothing but a stand up staight shooter in my book. But then again YMMV.

That'll work........
post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

There is a common misconception about floating caliper piston areas vs. double acting fixed calipers: if you are actually calculating the overall ratio there are the same number of pistons to consider -- in this case a four piston opposed caliper has, of course, four pistons and the individual areas are added up to determine the overall area. On the other hand the stock calipers have two pistons, but there is more to it than that. Pressure is applied to the pistons and the backs of the bores in which they operate. Since the body of the caliper is what applies force to the inside pad(s) the area of the back face of the bore must be taken into consideration when choosing a master cylinder. In short, if the piston diameters are the same for each, the master cylinder will probably be close to the same size.

This is not to say that there will be no difference in feel: single acting caliper bodies generally take the shortest path to the other side of the rotor (read up, over, and back down), and when applied hard inevitable flex creates a pressure differential on the pads from top (highest) to bottom (lowest). The caliper body flexes in the only direction it can, away from the pads, but not evenly. The force applied diminishes as the lever is pulled harder, leaving a mushy feel at max effort.

Double acting, on the other hand, flex as well, but since the load path is concentratd across the pads radially on each side of the pad pocket the pistons deflect inside their bores but do not lose close contact with the pads resulting in a more consistent feel from the lever during harder braking.

With experience with many versions of both types of calipers I generally prefer the double acting type for their more consistent feel across their entire operational envelope.

Is this conversion bling? Yes, but very functional bling, and over 40 years I have done more than 100 such conversions quite successfully.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 9 Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Tirone

i am glad for the write up, I also would love ot hear about how well they work with the SS lines, maybe like a compair side by side write up.

functional bling is always the best type, and as for better braking I would love to have the option at my fingertips

post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Di"zx"en

With the radial master cyl and stainless lines, there really isnt even a comparison to be made. The brakes have SO much more bite with SO much less effort. Night and day performance difference. I would have done a lot better write up along time ago but hey, its just bling and the "club racers" run the stock setup so I guess it was just a waste of time and dollars on my part. The SV could have been so much more of a bike if Suzuki would of hung some good parts on it from the get go. On the other hand if they would have, the price would have been out of reach for what the bike is and they wouldnt be as plentiful on the used market as they are now. I'd prefer to hang my own parts anyway...Bling or not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radial_sv.jpg (181.4 KB, 20 views)

That'll work........
post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

There no need to be an asshole... He was trying to give helpful Advice about your mod and suggest things you may have forgotten... No one knows what anyone's else's experience is and for all he knows you might have the mechanic experience of whip and start putting tires on backwards...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 9 Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Di"zx"en

Bad moon...Thanks for your advice on what to be or not to be. I'll keep your suggestion under close advisement...... The old time group of people here know I dont do ANYTHING half way so the response I got from SV650JOE was way off base...And then to bash someone without anything to back it up other than "He Just wants to sell you something"...Well Really? I didnt think the guy was just gonna give me the parts, "that I called him about", out of the goodness of his own heart.

That'll work........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode