Suzuki TLR as a Trackbike? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Suzuki TLR as a Trackbike?

I don't know much about the TLR other than it's a Vtwin and referred to as "heavy". It's not much heavier than my 919 but I have a chance to get an old beat up one for cheap that I could use on my upcoming track day so...

How is the TLR as a track bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Nate TLR has one.

The main complaint I have heard about them in the rear header is too close to the rears shock and will overheat theshock after 4 or 5 laps. If that is true, I can see there being a big handling problem with them.

Otherwise, I jsut see them as different. All my aquaintences that used to ride them have moved to the SV1000 for the most part.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 5 Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy
Nate TLR has one.

The main complaint I have heard about them in the rear header is too close to the rears shock and will overheat theshock after 4 or 5 laps. If that is true, I can see there being a big handling problem with them...
That would suck!

post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Also, try TLPlanet.com Nate has mentioned it several times in the past.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Living the dream

TL Planet is now TLZone. Go there every now and then but thing is everyone there has moved on to different bikes. You can still get a lot of information there though.

Here are my plus, minus and suggestions.

It can feel a tad heavy but once at speed no problems. If you are comparing it to an SV, new 600 or liter bike...yes very heavy.

If you just want a good track bike to have fun on...no problems.

Stock shock can get hot from the rear header. Get an aftermarket shock since the stocker is crap anyway. I have a Bitubo (Mike knows the story..I have a great wife) but Penske makes a good one to. Do "The Gap" mod and it helps in cooling. No problems with it getting squishy since the Bitubo went on.

Good things...It is dead solid in turns. Rock solid chasis that is built tough. Great low end grunt and torque coming off the turns. On a small tight course you only need 2nd and 3rd. Lots of parts can be swapped out with a Busa or older GSXR1K so parts can be found.

Does not eat tires too bad if you go easy. My BT014s have been great in wet and dry.

Anything else let me know. I love mine and will probably keep it for years to come and get a different track bike.

Did I mention the great sound!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode