Super Duke GT - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Super Duke GT

Traded in my 919 a few months ago for one.

Miss the 919 and wish I could have kept it, but wasn’t in the cards right now.

Crazy how mental the torque is, but yet is still very rideable for someone without long-term riding experience.

Love the versatility of it (luggage for my commute, comes off in about 15 seconds for when you want a naked(ish) look/feel) and comfortable passenger seating/electronic pre-load for when my wife rides.

Not as sharp looking as the Super Duke R (a bit on the ugly side actually), but much more versatile.

Got a great deal on it. $3500 manufacturer rebate, $2000 off from the dealer, and no dealer fees (just tax/tag/title).

2 year factory warranty and I bought a 4 year additional aftermarket full coverage/unlimited mile, transferable service plan for $1100.
Was important to me with a non-Japanese bike with lots of technology as those repairs can get expensive real quick.

Last pic is not mine, but shows the look without the luggage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A0DCE7E-55FF-44B9-87D7-A5BAA66F6C26_1547403464088.jpg (83.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 9B0741C0-D766-4378-AB80-CFE82464D6DC_1547403480966.jpg (154.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg 9557BE6B-A677-4737-B614-508E4A84277A_1547403575460.jpeg (336.0 KB, 25 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Brain stolen again?

What a fine looking ride.
Congratulations on it.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post
What a fine looking ride.
Congratulations on it.
Thanks.
Puts an ear to ear grin on my face every time.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Tesserarius

A friend of mine has one of those. He absolutely loves it. He's offered to let me ride it, but it was new, and he had a big trip planned, and I wouldn't risk doing anything stupid. I have the 990 Super Duke, and I wish they had called the 1290 something else.

KTMs are not pretty; at least not in the traditional sence.

I wish all the manufacturers would just stop with all the electronic crap, except maybe Traction Control. I seem to be in the minority on that issue. Such is the world we live in.

That's too much bike for me, but there's no substitute for torque.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
A friend of mine has one of those. He absolutely loves it. He's offered to let me ride it, but it was new, and he had a big trip planned, and I wouldn't risk doing anything stupid. I have the 990 Super Duke, and I wish they had called the 1290 something else.

KTMs are not pretty; at least not in the traditional sence.

I wish all the manufacturers would just stop with all the electronic crap, except maybe Traction Control. I seem to be in the minority on that issue. Such is the world we live in.

That's too much bike for me, but there's no substitute for torque.
If the offer is still open, you should ride it.
I think you’d be very surprised at how manageable/rideable it is with all that torque.

I have limited riding experience.
Had a 79 Suzuki GS1000 in college for 3 years.
I am 40 now (a bit wiser with better judgement).
Bought the 919 this past summer and put around 4000 miles on it.
Then got the GT, have about 2300 miles on it now.
If it is rideable by me, I imagine most with a solid head on their shoulders and some experience on something larger than a beginner bike would really enjoy it.

I don’t ride it soft, although I’m not a pretend racer either.
Pretty much always ride it in sport mode. Ride hard through the twisties, but under control.
Always try to get in a daily 100. Get it up to 110-120 mph quickly on a clear back road.

With traction control on doesn’t do real wheelies, I don’t have a lot of experience/practice doing them either.
But if I am accelerating hard, the front wheel always comes up a foot or two before TC sets it back down. I’ve had the front wheel up about 4 feet (on accident) a couple of times with TC on.
If you like wheelies, you can easily turn the TC off.

Of course the traction control helps you keep the power under control and I’ve read the throttle by wire will smooth out/adjust any inputs that would be detrimental, although you cannot tell.
Whatever the bike does electronically is hidden/unbeknownst to the rider very well.
So it stills feels organic and not like your inputs are being interrupted.

Being away from motorcycles almost 20 years, I really didn’t have an opinion on electronics.
But going from the 919 to the GT, here are my current my thoughts:

-ABS, although I haven’t needed them yet for an emergency, probably one of the best safety features as it is so easy to instinctively grab a handful of front brake. Also applies rear brakes if you only grab the front and rear are needed.
-Drive modes, I always keep it in sport so not something I use much at this stage.
-Ride modes (suspension), I could live with just sport, although comfort is nice for the highway and when riding with a passenger. It is nice adjusting electronically, and on the fly, instead of with tools.
-Electronic pre-load, if you ride with a passenger often, you’ll never want to not have it again.
-Quickshifter, it will spoil you quickly, it is so easy and convenient. Also will probably make you lose your touch with shifting with the clutch over time.
-Never use cruise control.
-Heated grips are great.
-Overall though the engineers did a great job of not ruining the riding experience by not allowing you to feel/know when the electronic rider aids are “helping you out.”

post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Tesserarius

Simple. 2 cylinders, 2 wheels, and very little else. It's never going to win a beauty contest. Not the type of motorcycle that you give a cutsie nick name to. It's a little rough cut. Just the way I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.jpg (409.5 KB, 16 views)
g00gl3it and ewmin3m like this.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Simple. 2 cylinders, 2 wheels, and very little else. It's never going to win a beauty contest. Not the type of motorcycle that you give a cutsie nick name to. It's a little rough cut. Just the way I like it.
I do miss my 919 and the simple mechanics/riding experience.
I wish I would have kept it also when I bought the new bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24884FA9-E5E6-429B-B5E9-4A598629651F_1547861689593.jpg (152.7 KB, 11 views)

post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Al

PC1978,
The last bike (before this current bike) was a 919 Hornet and I have to say they are one of the very finest bikes I have ever owned and ridden. Bought it new, cost was very low as it was the end of the run sell out 2010. I loved it - so simple, trouble free, went like heck, handled well, great on gas, comfortable, etc etc etc.. What was the 'not' to like? Nothing, in my opinion..
Good luck on your new toy,, any wheelies I ever pulled were not intended. Nice pics. (Take Note of my handle/nickname)..
CeeBee919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode