Fun Sized Ninja 250 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Fun Sized Ninja 250

Well, ever since the age of 13, I really wanted a square body Ninja 250. I thought those were so cool, and a friend of mine had one that he always rode to school (he was 14 and I was kawi green with envy).

However, for one reason or another, I never bought a little Ninja 250, and instead went to a Shadow 750 and a handful of other bikes (nothing below a 600 supersport).

Today, I added an 8.45oz sportbike to my stable... Parking it next to the Blackbird It showed up on Craigslist, and surprisingly, I was the first one to the party. The previous owner is a part time bike dismantler and realized quickly that he couldn't make any money off the square-body ninjette. All of the parts are there, minus a few nuts and bolts, but for $200 I couldn't complain! It only has 5k miles on her and he said it ran like crap and that the carb is kinda funky. We talked bikes for a few minutes and I pulled the bike home (she fit way too easily in the little S10).

My intention is to get the little bike in mechanically solid shape and teach friends and others how to ride. One day I may fix her up a bit, but for now I hope to have less than $500 into the baby rocket.

Stay tuned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4124.JPG (46.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4126.JPG (139.7 KB, 43 views)

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Looks like a fun little project

Dan
post #3 of 11 Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Cornicen

Nice pick up. That is what I started on, like you said it's a great bike to learn on and when you are done, it's easy to sell because someone else is looking for a starter bike. I had mine for one month I think to get comfortable, then I bumped up to an F4i.

Recently though, I have kind of been wanting to get another Ninja 250 to putt around on.

The one in your photo looks to have a larger rear tire on it....?

Bikes:
2004 V-Rod (sold)
2004 CBR600F4i (sold)
2003 RC51
2010 Triump Scrambler (sold)
2003 CB900F
2004 CBR 600rr

Non Bikes:
2007 JK Sahara
2005 CTS V (sold)
2006 Audi S4

post #4 of 11 Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonater View Post
Nice pick up. That is what I started on, like you said it's a great bike to learn on and when you are done, it's easy to sell because someone else is looking for a starter bike. I had mine for one month I think to get comfortable, then I bumped up to an F4i.

Recently though, I have kind of been wanting to get another Ninja 250 to putt around on.

The one in your photo looks to have a larger rear tire on it....?
The rear tire is nearly flat haha! I'm pretty stoked and hopefully I won't have to dump too much money into it for knick knack parts that are missing.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #5 of 11 Old 09-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Josh

Garage
I really want to find one of those in running condition for about $500 and put a Blue Collar Bobbers cafe kit on it. Just for giggles.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
Well, I finally had a few minutes to play with my new toy and I got a parts list of things the bike needs in order to get running, and for fun I threw the fairings on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3481784187.jpg (61.7 KB, 36 views)

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
I got the bike running on Friday night, then pulled the carbs to clean them.

After ordering a bunch of parts on eBay, I'm hoping to have the bike rideable next weekend (waiting on a throttle tube, RH controls, throttle bracket, correct size battery, etc.)

Anyways, I decided the airbox is the most obnoxious pain in the arse that the wheel needed to be reinvented for ease of removing/installing it-

After a thorough hassle with getting that giant wad of an airbox out of there, I decided to reinvent the wheel. I wanted to make it so that I wouldn't have to pull more than the sidecovers, seat, and tank in order to get the airbox in/out since I see myself tinkering with the carbs more often than not (I can't leave anything alone...)

Anyways, I modified the airbox as shown. First with a bandsaw to get it down to a more manageable size-

Since the opening was approximately to the open cavity where the filter sits, I was able to make a plank out of aluminum honeycomb I had laying around-

With the plank test fit, then I installed a random cone filter that I had laying around-

Then, I match drilled 4 oversize holes from the airbox to air filter bulkhead, filled the holes with epoxy, drilled the holes out again to a smaller diameter, attached with long-ish sheet metal screws, and called it a day.

I had all the parts laying around, so it just cost me a Sunday afternoon to build this on the fly. It's much easier to mess with, and I plan on doing the GSXR rear shock mod soon, so I'm trying to future proof this setup.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
After pulling the carbs a time or two, wrenching here, doing stuff there, she's pretty much back together and ready to teach!

So far I have about $380 into her and the only thing the bike needs is mirrors and a windscreen, and maybe a new front master cylinder cap.

The Dunflop tires have begun to dryrot, but for parking lot maneuvers they will be fine.

The plan now is to charge friends/ppl I know $50 how to ride, and if they drop the bike, it will be an additional $20 plus the cost of replacing any broken parts. Then after I run out of people to teach, fix the bike up with a GSXR rear shock and better front end suspension. Plus some new tires!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (118.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (2).JPG (98.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (109.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (119.9 KB, 21 views)

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #9 of 11 Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Will fly for food.

Garage
I ended up buying another Ninjette. This one is a 1989 w/ 16k miles. Overall decent shape but the engine made funny noises according to the PO.

It sounds like a rod bearing is on its way out and the clutch acts a bit sticky. So, I'll swap engines and have a really nice 1989 and a bashed up beater 2003. I've already modded the airbox and installed a gsxr600 rear shock on the 1989. These little bikes are entirely too much fun!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1993952642.jpg (74.0 KB, 18 views)

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoaviator View Post
After pulling the carbs a time or two, wrenching here, doing stuff there, she's pretty much back together and ready to teach!

So far I have about $380 into her and the only thing the bike needs is mirrors and a windscreen, and maybe a new front master cylinder cap.

The Dunflop tires have begun to dryrot, but for parking lot maneuvers they will be fine.

The plan now is to charge friends/ppl I know $50 how to ride, and if they drop the bike, it will be an additional $20 plus the cost of replacing any broken parts. Then after I run out of people to teach, fix the bike up with a GSXR rear shock and better front end suspension. Plus some new tires!
The bike had me with the paint scheme. I could never imagine how a blue and green faired bike would look but there it is. The lines make it very easy to implement on other bikes as well! Now it's just missing a Seahawks logo.. lol

Good on you with teaching people, maybe more in the lines of getting people interested. However I'd still recommend people taking MSF for safety reasons. Also maybe worth putting a cage on the trainer?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 11 Old 12-25-2015, 05:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

250 Ninjas are great bikes. My son and I had one for a few years.

They are possibly the best dollar value in motorcycles. Everybody here knows several guys who went out and borrowed money to buy their first bike, which was more bike than they had any business being on. How stupid. Don't even get me started on bikes with traction control.

Flip, that black one looks sharp. The other one, not so much. Mine was green. My buddy had the chrome yellow. That was a fantastic color.

My friend,s yellow 250 had an aftermarket exhaust and a good Dynojet kit. Re-jet!

His would stomp my stocker, even tho he outweighed me by 20 pounds. Pirelli Diablo were the best tire we could find at the time. If you can raise the rear end just a bit, maybe a 1/2 to3/4 of an inch, that quickened up the steering, gave a little more ground clearance, and a bit more leg room. I'm curious to hear about the Suzuki shock mod! What's that all about?

My affection/affliction for the little motorcycles had me buy a KTM 390 Duke. I'd post pictures, but they'd be up side down. For a little bike, I can't say enough about the KTM 390. It will run with the big bikes until they get pretty aggressive. The 390 has been on a diet. I've taken 12 pounds off of that thing. I have schmancy clutch and brake levers, the comfort seat, and an alum rear sprocket to put on. Look out this spring!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode