I got the bike running on Friday night, then pulled the carbs to clean them.
After ordering a bunch of parts on eBay, I'm hoping to have the bike rideable next weekend (waiting on a throttle tube, RH controls, throttle bracket, correct size battery, etc.)
Anyways, I decided the airbox is the most obnoxious pain in the arse that the wheel needed to be reinvented for ease of removing/installing it-
After a thorough hassle with getting that giant wad of an airbox out of there, I decided to reinvent the wheel. I wanted to make it so that I wouldn't have to pull more than the sidecovers, seat, and tank in order to get the airbox in/out since I see myself tinkering with the carbs more often than not (I can't leave anything alone...)
Anyways, I modified the airbox as shown. First with a bandsaw to get it down to a more manageable size-
Since the opening was approximately to the open cavity where the filter sits, I was able to make a plank out of aluminum honeycomb I had laying around-
With the plank test fit, then I installed a random cone filter that I had laying around-
Then, I match drilled 4 oversize holes from the airbox to air filter bulkhead, filled the holes with epoxy, drilled the holes out again to a smaller diameter, attached with long-ish sheet metal screws, and called it a day.
I had all the parts laying around, so it just cost me a Sunday afternoon to build this on the fly. It's much easier to mess with, and I plan on doing the GSXR rear shock mod soon, so I'm trying to future proof this setup.