Boot Melt 'B Gone - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Boot Melt 'B Gone

Well, I was having a problem with the way the exhaust pipes are mounted behind the rider's footpegs and melting my boots onto them when riding on the balls of my feet. It was kind of annoying in the fact that the Tuono doesn't have much in changing your foot position and one of the offerings subjects your boots to the heat of the exhaust pipe before it reaches some nice cans!

So, I bought some high-temp exhaust wrap, lock ties, and silicone coating then went to work yesterday evening. Removing the Leo Vince Cans is a breeze compared to my previous bike's exhaust. One high mount bolt holds the can to the tail and the rest of the exhaust is clipped together with high strength attachment springs in three places. The springs had quite a bit of resistance and I had to make sure of a firm grip while pulling one end away from the bike so if I slipped there wasn't a tool jammed right into the exhaust. I used a hooked medium-duty cotter pin puller and it worked just fine.

The actual can separated easily from the small lead tube where the wrap is needed and In a matter of 30 mins I was done wrapping. Obviously, keeping the wrap tight is important and it took a few times of unwrapping a couple revolutions to keep the cloth taught. Getting around the attachment springs hook brackets was as easy as wrapping over them and gently wiggling the cloth down, where the weave would separate just enough to let the U-shaped bracket slip through. Quite nice if you ask me, no cutting needed and the weave is easily tightened back up when you resume pulling it taught.

Next I attached the stainless lock ties which work like a zip-tie, however they are unable to be pulled as tightly as I'd like them even when using two pliers. I suppose I could have used regular zip-ties with them being shielded by the heat-wrap, but I didn't.

Even though the Titanium LR wrap says it doesn't require a water-proof silicone coating, I went ahead and put one on anyway, spraying it down and then bake-curing it in the oven at 400deg for a couple minutes.

Finally, re-installing the cans is just as easy as taking them off. Oila! ~$35 and maybe 1 1/2 hours worth of work and I don't have to worry about my boots being melted onto the pipes or the ugly residue left on them anymore.

Before pics

Black marks right behind the footpegs.

After

If you're interested, all products used were from DEI.

Titanium weave exhaust wrap

Stainless lock ties

High Temp Silicone coating

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Real clean install, nice work Rob.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Tirone

That sucks a bit but what else can you do.
Good job mate!

post #4 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 PM
New Old Stock

I used exactly the same on my car about ten years ago. I did the exhaust manifold and downpipe and they've held up extremely well, so well in fact, that they're the only original exhaust pieces left on the car, a 1992 VW Jetta four-banger.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Steve

Looks good! I melted my brand new alpinestars riding a buddies harley road king last year. That might be a good option for him too. It's hell getting burnt rubber off chrome pipes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode