Anyone with Ducati Woes ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Anyone with Ducati Woes ?

As you might have read elsewhere, I have a S4RS (you know the $16,000 Monster) made by Ducrappy.

Anyone with a Duc showing its obsession with having a love affair with your dealer's service technician (as in "I don't want to be ridden by you, I just want a dealer's service tech to do surgery on me") ?

Though running OK now, the bike has 1300 miles and this low mileage is due to its extended stay at the repair shop.

What also troubles me is that the stalling problem cannot be diagnosed by either the shop or DNA. I am losing faith in the Ducrappy company.

I also found out that Ducrappy North America does NOT HAVE A WAREHOUSE in the US. All parts ordered by a dealer have to come from Bologna. That's Boloni . When dealer mentioned I might new TPS's., he stated that TPS are cast into the the throttle bodies and the whole FI intake has to be replaced (cost $1500 - but I am under warranty) and part could take 4 to 6 weeks. I just think that this is not conducive to keeping my BP down.

So I would be really interested in other Duc owners and their steads.

I got so fed up, I bought a leftover 05 new RC51....that bike rocks by the way.

Thanks a lot

Phil
05 RC51 (for riding)
07 S4RS (for the repair shop)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Your Duc. needs more test mileage to see if the problem rears it's nasty head once again. My suggestion is to leave the S4RS with me for additional testing.

post #3 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer and for the Avatar

Mike,

You're always here to help, thank God for obliging dedicated friends like you, but if you do not change this avatar you gave me to something like the Ducrappy logo with a bull's eye over it, I will have to turn your offer down.......

Anyhow, the Ducrappy will be disposed of in the manner it deserves soon:hang:

Phil

post #4 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Post a picture of your Ducati.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Phillipe did you give BCM a call in NH. Those guys are the gurus for Ducati. My buddy brings his 851 and 888 to them. Hopefully it gets sorted before the Holidays.

post #6 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Post a picture of your Ducati.
Her ya go rags... She sure is sweet!

post #7 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Here is a snippet of what some guy said on another forum about a Duc 749:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiggispeed
I rode the Duc 749, and for aproximately 4 minutes I was thinking I should give some more thought to this whole supersport thing,the Duc was that good! It handles like nothing else,though I felt like riding on an SUV because you sit kind of tall,with your arse quite high,the power is not all that diferent from a GSXR-600 it felt very fun without being intimidating and I was the center of attention on the HW for a few moments!!!.. I just got off to the HW and put the sukker to 3 digits(traffic near the airport at that time rides pretty close to that but as soon as it warmed up it started coughing and sputting and I thought "this is it,I'm going to get run over by traffic orI'm pushing this biatch!!" ...the bike for some reason had kind of an electrical problem that had two personalities,a "limp mode" (LOL) and the normal and if I hold the throttle steady it will switch back and forth,very upsetting,specialy when cagers are passing inches away from ya' at around 90 mph....I managed to limp my way to the rendevouz point and handled the bike back to the owner who called back at the Ducati dealer yelling ....seems the bike went there because it didn't started and after a 600$ bbill it went out with some other problem....thats what I call a bad fisrt impression

post #8 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

*PING* wArDoG...

post #9 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

That thing is bad arse!! I hope you can get the problems worked out so u can enjoy the bike!!

post #10 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

My brother had a 2000 748S. I beat the poopoo out of that thing on the road and track, never a hiccup. Ran perfect always. I was very impressed. That is all.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #11 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Goalkeeper

My 748 Rocks!

I have a '01 748 and got it brand new from the dealer. I also have ridden pretty hard, albeit only about 5500 miles.

But, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with it. I love this bike!! I just wish I could ride more!

-Matt

post #12 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Great looking bike!

post #13 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mind you, gentlemen, the bike is running fine now, but I have not really ridden it that much. So I am afraid the little gremlins might wake up again and start f*^#&#g with the electronics.

BCM is my next step, since Cliff's in Danbury is impressively clueless (I mean scary clueless).

I just keep on riding that darn RC51 which I absolutely love. I take turns at 90 mph and I still have chicken strips.......am I that bad? ...Yep, I probably suck. That bike handles like a locomotive on a rail.

The Duc is like a bicycle. The S4rs weighs less than the 999s, so you can imagine how one can fling that thing around...unfair advantage, but the powerband is not as linear as the RC51. Still I wish she did not want to go back to the dealer's technician all the time.....I am getting jealeous.

Anyhow, I see I am not the only one out there, with a tempermental italian.

Long live Honda

Phil

post #14 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Another guy with issues, a new SportClassic 1000:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDuck
Well, here is something very Ducati. The dealer phoned me yesterday to say that I couldn't pick it up today as planned, because there was a problem with it. It surges at idle.

This wasn't too surprising to me, since it is well known that many of the Euro 3 compliant DS motors have this problem. They come into the country tuned so lean that they don't run right. Never heard of it on an SC, but the S2R 1000 is famous for it.

Bit of a bummer. But the good news is that they are going to put a different Ducati Performance ECU on it that will allow it to run richer, and will bypass the O2 sensor. In the end it should be better than it ever could have been with the stock ECU

post #15 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

abruti, that bike is pure sex! It's not meant to be ridden, it's a work of art that is meant to be on display for all to admire. I don't know what to tell you about that Ducati you are talking about?

post #16 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Lets see the RC pics too.... Any mods to it yet?

If you didint know many of us here are or were Fity Won guys! If you want to ride, and just ride and ride and ride... the RC might be your bike. Put some exotic legs on it, some new cans, a PC, maybe some wheels if you can spare the coin, and watch that thing move!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #17 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The only woes I've ever felt when looking at a Duc, besides the maintenance schedule and price, are ....."woh (redneck for wow and oh), those things are pretty."

I've ridden a few and they do the deed nicely. Personally I think there are better bikes for the job they do considering the cost to get it done. But, obviously, I'm a Honda guy.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 21 Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I will agree that the 51 is an awsome bike. Mine only has 450 miles, so I am still in the "discovery" phase, but I love that bike. Always on a rail.

I have done the basic mods...flapper, varium linkage, 15 t front, speedohealer, integrator, flush mounts up front, 600RR hugger.

I am working on PCIII usb, Arata titanium pipes and DK titanium muffler hangers.

Then we should be ready to Duc's lunches at will

Long live Honda

post #19 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

so what are your plans for the S4?

post #20 of 21 Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

SELL......SELL.............SELL

That is a plan, isn't it ?

post #21 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Glad to see that BCM will take a look. They seem to know all the black magic around this area. What ever happens you'll be on a awesome twin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode