2003 800Sie MONSTER COUGHING, MISFIRING, RUNNING ROUGH - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

2003 800Sie MONSTER COUGHING, MISFIRING, RUNNING ROUGH

I am owner of a 2003 800Sie Monster of only 6000 miles. I have had problems for quite sometime with the engine bucking and coughing/misfiring up through the air cleaner at 3-4k on the tach. This problem started out very slowly in 2004 after almost one year of ownership and was very intermittent. Now the bike is almost unridable. In May 2007 I talked to a dealer in Pennsylvania and was told to disconnect the fuel vapor recirculation system because this had a history of causing poor performance. This fix helped but again only temporarily. As a technician myself, I realize the importance of the “process of elimination” and this was the first step in a series of attempts to solve the problem. Next in February 2008 the dealer here in Santa Barbara, CA first inspected the bike and blamed the poor running engine on a Power Commander which I had installed to compensate for the seemingly lean mix and misfiring. I was also told the Power Commander may have damaged the ECU. They removed the Power Commander, adjusted a few things on the bike and recommended I bring the bike in sometime for its 6k service and have the ECU replaced. Wow! The bike ran great! Problem solved? No. After a week of commuting back and forth to work the bucking and misfiring came back with a vengeance. Ok… trusting the dealer to know what they were doing, I brought the bike in for the recommended 6k service and on their recommendation replaced the ECU by purchasing the Ducati high performance mod kit which included the carbon fiber pipes, air cleaner and ECU for only $90 more than if I had just ordered the ECU alone. $2300 later I pick up my bike and think this should have finally done it. Wouldn’t you know the bike runs great for another week and the problem returns again! On one morning thereafter I wake up to see in the mirror the faint letters on my forehead that resembled “sucker”. I keep riding the bike for the next two weeks just to see how the bike fares. By the second week the bike was unrideable. I forgot to mention that my dash board/instrument panel went bad a few weeks prior. My instrument panel high beam, turn signal and fuel light were on constantly with "FUEL" blinking on LCD. Just another $1100 but I realize this may not be related to the original problem, or could it? A call to the dealer again and I bring the bike in for instrument panel replacement and possible tune up again. After replacing the panel the dealership owner rides the bike and says “leave it with me”. I’m not going to go into any details about the dealer giving me my bike back dirty or that brake fluid was spilled on my engine paint or that bolts were loose and missing on my new mufflers or the fact that one time no one was there but the salesman to turn the bike over to me without all my keys and the same existing problems it was taken in for and each time I brought it in to the shop I got a different story as to what the problem could be. This wouldn’t be objective would it? The letters on my forehead are becoming more pronounced… Both the dealer and I have gone over the bike several times looking over all the electrics and hoses and discussed anything that might cause this yet we have been unable to repair the problem. The coughing and missing is always back after only 50-100 miles of commuting. After all the time and money spent I am considering taking the bike to another dealer much further away for a second opinion but at this time I am broke. I keep thinking this has been an easy fix the whole time that I have not chanced upon yet. Where is that bad hose or loose connection??? Ducati North America was very helpful. They said if the dealer can’t fix it, they should contact the regional manager for help. They do not answer technical questions even thought I followed the technical link on the web page. This problem still exists though not as bad as before. The bike is rideable but not fun anymore. Anyone out there who’s seen or heard of this problem before, please help me if possible. I loved this bike. Went to look at Jap bikes yesterday. Hmmm…

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Per your description, I conclude the following:

Wow bro. I'm in Goleta and I can feel your pain from here. Get ahole of Ducati North America. Tell them that as God is your witness, you will haul the POS in the back of a U_Frikken_Haul to their corporate fuking headquarters and torch the bitch in their "Grand Rotunda" to get their attention that you got some festering pile of shiit baloney from Bologna.

You cannot stand one more fuking "bleeding" of your wallet. You need reimbursement in order to get on with your life and away from Ducati.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Welcome to WT. Too bad you come here under these circumstances. I'd also call DNA pronto, have them document the issue, and take it to another dealer quickly. Make sure that other dealer knows DNA is in the loop, watching the situation, and knows about the service history. Good luck!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 

Have you posted your problems on Ducatimonster.org?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Have you posted your problems on Ducatimonster.org?
Oh, great idea Kristen. That should have been our first instinct!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

My friend went through similar problems with his Monster S4RS the $15k model. It was in the shop more than it was ridden. Local dealer kept throwing new parts at it until he finally gave up and sold it. Two weeks after he sold the bike it had a horrible wiring fire.

Wish I had more to add. Good luck with yours.

Welcome aboard.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Unbannable

Hey new guy.

But a 919 and be happy forever.

post #8 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

You said each time you get it back from the stealer, it runs well for 50-100 miles. Find out what they did to it each time to get it to that point then work on why the problem is reoccuring.
They sound like parts changers and not diagnosticians.

Give us the name of the dealer & we'll bombard him with email.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Is there another Ducati dealer close by ? Sounds to me like another set of eyes will help out - If the shop your going to is primarily a Japenese branded shop, they arent taking the right aproach - Ducatis are a totally diffrent breed of bike and nned a tech with that mindset, a Suzuki mindset wont get you very far in this matter - Try another shop .

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg
post #10 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Tirone

My old 851 had the same problem. The computer is totally different along with the cylinder heads.

Without knowing everything that was done I can just give sugestions.

Check that the throttle bodies are synched. It dosen't take much to get the engine to start poping.

Does it backfire on one cylinder ONLY. My 851 only did it on the horz. cyl. and only below 3000 rpm. but you could bet you life on it. Off throttle coasting in any gear as soon as it hit 3K it would pop. You could lug it down to 30 mph in 6th and it would pull right back up. Just popped like mad with the throttle closed.

A leakdown test will tell you alot. Not a compression test.

I had around 10000 miles on the 926 engine but over 40000 on the original injectors. I sent them out to be cleaned. I will have to look for name of the place I sent them. I know it was in Washington state somewhere. They "dynoed" them with before and after measurements. There was a little difference in the numbers.

I have to attribute the rebuild of injectors and new timing belts to the problem I had.

Hope this helps

post #11 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Tirone

The injector service center I used is Witchhunter Performance. (witchhunter.com) They are in Bothell, WA.

Having the injectors cleaned was one of the last things I did to the 851. It did run better.

When the bike would backfire through the intake you could see the flash around the horz. butterfly. If you can see the same thing happening to your bike you can bet it is a mechanical problem. I had to believe that the timing belts had stretched just enough to throw the bike out of time when it stopped poping after intalling new belts.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM
What about the Creedence

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Your allright for a Ducait guy -- I dont care what they say about you !

" Any book is a childrens book , if the kid can read !"
Mitch Hedburg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode