VIR North June 25th - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

VIR North June 25th

I had an absolute blast yesterday at VIR North course. I am always quickly reminded just how wonderful this track really is every time I ride it. I always seem to find new ways around, and the Tuono just added to the fun of it.

Initally I was worried about riding the Tuono on the track. Not so much from the 1000CC V-Twin aspect, but moreso from the fact it has handlebars instead of clip-ons, and I have not even touched the suspension to dial it in for my riding.

Well, not only did I not have any problems with the way it was set, I turned my fastest lap at VIR yesterday. I had to start off in Cornerspeed's beginner group because i'm too cheap to pay for their school, and if you don't have a diploma, they will not let you sign up for the sport-enthusiast group. The first session of the day changed all that.

We were instructed to go slow for the first session, and follow the control rider. On the front straight, the riders behind the CR were to switch positions to observe the CR's lines around the track. After the first couple of laps dragging our asses, I tucked in behind the CR, and he picked up his pace. I stuck to him like glue. He wicked it up a bit more, and I never let him more than a couple bike lengths in front of me. Once the session was done, he pulled me aside, and informed me to go to the tech shed. He bumped me after the first session. I believe his exact quote was "you are just gonna be frustrated if you stay in the beginner group."

So, I borrowed a lap timer from one of our friends that came down with his wrecked bike, and started the day with a 1:54. Not too shabby, but I know I can do much better. By the first session after lunch, it didn't take me long to sort out the Tuono, and how well it handles track duty. I turned a 1:47:680 and my average lap was 1:50.

I am soooo stoked that I found my lines that fast with a brand new bike, and not stepping foot on a track in a year. Hopefully, I will see some more improvements once I get the suspension dialed in for me. In the meantime, i'll share a few pics for you.

Who says you can't get a knee down on a Tuono?

Beautiful shot of the bridge on VIR:

My new wallpaper:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Many thanks to ajcombs and his friend Bill for coming out to the track for some support. They really got the FULL track experience, and it looked like they had a blast yesterday. I'll let them fill in the details, but let's just say it wasn't an uneventful trip.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

excellent! Nice work!!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

The track experience was a blast even with the unfortunate event that happened!! Looking at the video's right now.. if i get any good ones will post!

I got one, youtube is processing it!! will post shortly

post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Very cool! Thanks again for that Adam.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Many thanks to ajcombs and his friend Bill for coming out to the track for some support. They really got the FULL track experience, and it looked like they had a blast yesterday. I'll let them fill in the details, but let's just say it wasn't an uneventful trip.

to explain this.. whew what an experience.. we went just to see what a track day school was about kinda to see what to expect that kinda thing! Well we were in the beginer's class and at the end the instructer said that they would be giving 2up riding for $50 gear included!! Bill and myself was sold immediately!! The dude driving was at one time I think .. correct me if i'm wrong ridge.. an ama racer. Either way I got to do about 165ish on a GSXR1000 down the straight and some really awesome corners with this dude and was he so smooth with throttle and damn I didn't reallize you could brake that hard with these bikes!!

OK now for the exciting part... my friend Bill(SVLAWDOG)(got the full expericence) he is up next i see him come around about 3 times at the pits hauling AZZz and i'm waiting and the red flag starts flying and sure enough they were involved in a collision with another bike, both driver and passager off the bike but ok.. i hope.. haven't heard from today though... The other bike involved didn't hit asphalt but i was told didn't go undamaged, i did not get to see it afterwards. The 2up bike was fubar!! They got off doing around 100mph!!! All I can say is Gear and God was protecting there butts!! The driver had i think a broken hand,

post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

[youtube]iz99ONl85rU[/youtube]

phone quality sorrry guys but was really after the sound!!! oh the sounds!! they will never leave my mind!! yeah!!

oh you were the second one i think ridge!!

post #8 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

VIR is such a great place. My bikes re-construction has begun and I will be back out there soon.

I know its a ways out, but the grand course day in the fall is a great way to end the season!!

+ $5

post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Awesome pics James! Maybe I'll even let you talk me into it one of these days.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode