Very cold ZoomZoom Trackday weekend at Reno Fernley Raceway - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 2 Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
necked 919

Very cold ZoomZoom Trackday weekend at Reno Fernley Raceway

When I got back from Fernley last Monday, I was completely spent from two very cold trackdays at the RFR...
My buddy Richard (Ducati 996) and I left at about 2pm on Friday (10/10/08) and hit Reno's Cabelas at 8pm. We then went for a short visit to his Mothers place in Reno and then drove through a snow storm into a chilly Fernley Best Western hotel at around 1030pm. Luckly I have an enclosed trailer as waterwetter and freezing weather could split a radiator wide open. The temps overnight here were in the low 30's, so I threw a blanket over the 919 and had no worries. Saturday was started with eggamuffin w/sausage and a hot chocolate, cuz it was so freeking cold. We met my Utah buddy Dan (Honda RC51) at the track as he spent the night at his Mom's in Carson City. We were there right at 7am so we got a great spot near the ZZ guys tech area, photog building and chow truck. (I had like 4 hot chocolates that morning) I had on a long sleeve tee and boxer briefs with the long winter underArmour and then the leathers.

I wore my winter coat on over the leathers as it helped cut the windchil. It was a bit weird when you're blasting around the track and it starts lightly snowing, nothing sticking but still makes you check up a bit. By lunch time it was still bitter cold and the cloud cover and wind didn't help at all.

RFR is a really long, techincal track that took me a long time to learn it's flow and it has a crazy rough braking zone going into turn 12, on the back straight and a rough down hill from turn 15 to 15A that makes it hard to get a smooth set up to drive into the NASCAR-esk turn 21

At the end of the first day the ZZ guys threw a BBQ dinner and then held a raffle. Richard won 4 quarts of Repsol oil, Dan won a MotionPro hat and I won some Repsol brake fluid and chain cleaner as well as the grand prize...
a free ZZtrackday at Infineon on Dec 6th

Sunday was a bit warmer as the clouds and wind went away... but it was still very cold. I didn't have to wear the outer jacket but I did wip out the winter gloves.

We finished up the day at 4PM and started our six hour treck home, but first another stop at the Cabela's in Boomtown... a bit of a mistake, I must say, cuz the wife looked at my account on Tuesday and flipped out when she saw the >$800 debit charged to that location. I did try to explain to her that the shotgun that I didn't buy, saved us about $4300 bucks. Well she wasn't impressed.

This store and the BassProShop store that they just opened in Modesto are just bigboy stores, that I am happy to live hours away from.
Here's a linky to those pics..

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...vhost=outdoors

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Awesome write up!

I guess if you wrote this, your wife didn't shoot you with the shotgun!

K7 GSX-R 750 for racing only
2006 YZ250 for getting dirty

www.TrackXperience.com

WSMC #689

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode