Using Take-offs for a trackday.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Using Take-offs for a trackday....

Going up to meet a guy at Grattan to buy some take off he has. He has 3 sets of Diablo Corsa's for sale. Said he has two practices and two races on each set. 75 buck for a set. For that price I was going to use them for the street with out a worry. But Wouldn't these be ok for my first track day at Gingerman? What do you guys think....

I can buy these sets of Corsa's or a new set of Pilot Powers. I have Pilot Powers on my 919 right now. Love the tires, just thought with my riding style, the take offs would be fine.

What do you all think??

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I would assume without looking at them they they would be good for a few 1000 miles of street riding. But for the track.... why isnt he using them any longer??????

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

I Ask him that, and he said with his style of racing, he wants fresh tires all the time. He said with my style of riding(1rst track day/street) they would be fine. Plus, I think he must get free tires or something...

As far as looks, I don't see any problem. They still look pretty real good on the sides. I'll post some pics when I get them in a couple weeks. I'm sure by a picture you guys could tell me they would be ok or not..

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site

post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I know guys that run take-offs all the time on the track. Most of the guys I ride w/ in NESBA are using Pirelli Dragon slick take-offs, or the Super-Corsa's. And they haven't had any issues at all. This is in the Intermediate group of NESBA.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:08 AM

It all depends on the condition of the tires and the riders abilities.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

True to what Tim said. The guys I run with are using takeoffs from sprint races, and there is still alot of meat left on the tires. Examine them closely, tech will not hesitate to make you replace them if they feel unsafe.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 AM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarble
Going up to meet a guy at Grattan to buy some take off he has. He has 3 sets of Diablo Corsa's for sale. Said he has two practices and two races on each set. 75 buck for a set. For that price I was going to use them for the street with out a worry. But Wouldn't these be ok for my first track day at Gingerman? What do you guys think....

I can buy these sets of Corsa's or a new set of Pilot Powers. I have Pilot Powers on my 919 right now. Love the tires, just thought with my riding style, the take offs would be fine.

What do you all think??
Adam,
how much tire is left... 50% or more?
Diablo Corsas are a very good tire, and would make for a very good take off tire to reuse on the track, I've done several track days with them. you don't have to worry about heat cycles... Keep in mind that some track day organizations require your tires to have at least 50% tread life left... be sure to check that with your track day organization you'll be doing the event with...

DOT race tires on the other hand I would say NO, they may be good enough for mild street riding, and your riding style, but for (1), I think you'll be a little more aggressive than you usually are when you go to the track, (2) heat cycles... don't really know how many heat cycles have been done on them, lots of heat cycles on DOT race tires take the stickyness away from the rubber compound...

isn't pilot powers and Diablo Corsas basically the same type of tire?
track/street tire? I'm not sure... I haven't tryed the "Pp's"

if they're a good price, and have more then 50% life left, I say buy them up,
it's always good to at least try them out and see if you like them, I know I love them!

post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Jay Oh yea, from what I saw, they have well over 50% on them. I Believe Chris Knight said the tires have had two heat cycles on them. The good thing is I'm meeting him at Grattan and Sportbike tracktime will be there so I can have them look at the tires before I buy them.

Someone straighten me out on what a heat cycle is......I take it as on heat cycle is one time on a track??? Weather it be a practive or race?

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Someone straighten me out on what a heat cycle is......I take it as on heat cycle is one time on a track??? Weather it be a practive or race?
A heat cycle is anytime a tire is heated to opitmum temperature and then allowed to cool. So if he didn't have tire warmers then multiply 2 track days * 6 sessions and you get 12 heat cycles.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Ok, I figured I better call Chris again to verify what he said. Just got off the phone with him. He said the 3 set of tires have 4 heat cycles on them. He is an instructor for Sportbiketrack time and said thier still more than perfect for a trackday...

Ok, now i'm staight....lol. And thanks for the Info NewRedRider.

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #11 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 AM

No problem....

post #12 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Race take-offs or what we call scrubs, that's all I use for my track days.

I usually buy them off a local amateur/pro racer who has usually only used them for a race or two. I never pay more then $150CDN for a set and they're always Pirelli super corsa dragons as they are the sponsored tire manufacturer here. I can usually get 2-3 tracks days out of them and then they go on my street bike.

awarble, bring the tires with you to the Grattan track and I'll get the guys to look at them for you.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Love Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyChick
Race take-offs or what we call scrubs, that's all I use for my track days.

I usually buy them off a local amateur/pro racer who has usually only used them for a race or two. I never pay more then $150CDN for a set and they're always Pirelli super corsa dragons as they are the sponsored tire manufacturer here. I can usually get 2-3 tracks days out of them and then they go on my street bike.

awarble, bring the tires with you to the Grattan track and I'll get the guys to look at them for you.
Sporty, That's where I'll be buying the tires at... This guy lives only 20 mins away from the track. Lucky bastard. He only wants 75 bucks for a set. I'm going to buy the 3 - 180 sets he has. And my brother in law will be buying the 3 - 190 sets. Couldn't pass up that deal. I'll show you them when i get them....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site
post #14 of 14 Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
...he said with his style of racing, he wants fresh tires all the time...
Which translates into throwing the bike into a corner, with out braking, off line, hoping to pass someone and hoping the tire sticks...lol!

Running take offs are fine. Run the tire till the cords show...:arabia:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode