Track days on a 919 - Wrist Twisters
 13Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question Track days on a 919

Hi I am new to this.
I have a 2004 919, And I would like to try a track day, Have never done one. Would a 919 be a good bike for this. When I look at the 2006 - 2007 zx6 600 cc sport bikes their horse power ratings are about the same and their torque ratings are quite a bit less, are they that much better or will the 919 do just fine. I dont want to take my 919 to the track and find out that its just not the kind of thing that you do. Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 PM
McTavish

The 919 is a great bike to do track days with.
It's easy to ride and feels easy to ride, not at all intimidating as compared to a razor sharp 600 SS or bigger CCs if you are not used to that.
I've done over 1200 miles of track mileage on mine.
Keep in mind how soft the suspension is.
Stay smooth so it doesn't move the suspension as much, and be prepared for your pegs folding up on you.
A tip to keep your foot from getting trapped in a folding peg and grinding your boot off, is to put the sole of your boot against the plate the peg mounts to.

post #3 of 56 Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Tirone

I would like to do a track day on mine. But i haven't found one close to go to yet.

2007 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1998 XR400

post #4 of 56 Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the info.The bike is stock. Did you make any needed changes for the track.

post #5 of 56 Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome to Wristtwisters, Greenie!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwkwardPenguin View Post
I would like to do a track day on mine. But i haven't found one close to go to yet.
Depending where you are in OK, there are two tracks in the DFW area. Make a weekend out of it. Eagles Canyon in Slidell and Motorsport Ranch in Cresson. I did my trackday through RideSmart. Good group of guys. In the novice group, it really didn't matter that much what type of bike you were on. Everyone is just learning, so your speed depends entirely on your skills and how comfortable you are with high speed braking and carrying speed into the corners. I have some track day pics of me dogging some pretty exotic bikes. I got passed as much as I passed others, so it's not like I was a star out there.

Just relax and have fun. You're not in a race, anyway. It's about learning to control your bike and position your body at higher speeds than you can safely try on public roads. One guy in my novice group went down. Hate to say, but he deserved it. He was acting like he was in a race, trying to pass everyone. Unfortunately for him, he didn't yet have the skills or experience to back it up. No one felt sorry for him when he wadded it up. Just a low side with no physical injuries.

Whichever track day you attend will have a prep list for you. If you're running in a novice group, you won't have to make major changes. You don't have to change out coolant or safety wire anything. Mainly, tape up lights and mirrors and signals. There is a safety inspection, too. Brake pads at least 50%. Tires at least 50%. No leaks. Throttle doesn't stick. Simple stuff.

post #7 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 12:34 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hornet View Post
Thanks for the info.The bike is stock. Did you make any needed changes for the track.
If you are going to go out on a stock 919, aside from what the track provider might require for prep, is the following suggested list.

Remove throttle cable slack.

Remove mirrors.

Tape all lenses.
Use the blue masking tape, sticks enough but does not fuse like white does, and won't blow off like green can.
If they saying duct or plastic tape, just put that over the blue masking tape, trust me, when it comes for removing it, you'll be thankful. Especially on a hot day.

I don't bother removing the headlight wire connector, some do. Same story re brake light.

Front End
Run your ride height (so called preload) adjusters all the way down, and if you refuse to do that, run them mid range.
Check your rebound adjustment, and remember that too much will get you into serious trouble in a hurry, while a bit less than ideal will not cause you grief.
Don't be surprised to see that almost all of your compression stroke travel is used up by hard braking. (use a zip tie as indicator of maximum travel used)

Rear End
The stock unit is garbage and the spring is way too soft.
Some run with max preload, although I feel that # 4 is probably better otherwise the rear end will act like it is solid when extended under any hard braking.
It's probably best to leave the rebound adjuster at the Honda manual suggested initial setting, and just put up with whatever you get.
919s with stock shocks squat badly on a track, 2004s and later in particular.
The rear shock unit is a real weakness on the track, concentrate on being very smooth on the guess, avoid whacking the throttle in 2nd & 3rd (assuming you don't have any 1st gear turns), and see 1 above again.

Tire Pressure.
You will hear such a range of things to do or not to do that your head will be spinning. What to believe and what to do hang in the balance.
It's your first time on the track, you do NOT want to run rears in the 20s as you will be spooked by carcass movement.
Nor do you do want to run the Honda manual pressures otherwise the tires will not grip as well. (as in 36 F 42 R)
Go for a pressure that allows some carcass flex, gives better grip, and still feels "familiar" when cold and when warmed up.
32 front and 34/35 rear is something you simply can not go wrong with be it hot,cold, wet, or dry.
Once you have a few sessions under your belt, and feel you can use more grip, then find someone that either "knows the tire" you use, or is using them, and see what they are using.
For example, Michelin 2CTs work well locally for us with 31 cold F and 30 cold R.
Just remember that the more grip you put into the tires by either pressure settings or the ones you are riding on, the more you are asking the stock suspension to cope with under increasingly extreme conditions.

post #8 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

I went to the track a couple times this summer and really
enjoyed it. All the mods I did to my 919 are esthetics
except the Renthal UL which makes it a bit more comfy.
Everybody has to try it at least once.

Honda 919 TrackAttack - YouTube

post #9 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I don't bother removing the headlight wire connector, some do. Same story re brake light
All good stuff. One note on No. 4: I simply removed the fuse. Easy. Only issue was that I was leaving the track at dusk and luckily needed to stop for gas just as it got dark. Realized that my headlight fuse was still in my pants pocket. Oops! Glad I didn't ride all the way home that way. Stupid move on my part.

post #10 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks
All good information.

post #11 of 56 Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
All good stuff. One note on No. 4: I simply removed the fuse. Easy.
Very good idea and one I never thought of because it's so obvious and simple !

post #12 of 56 Old 11-05-2011, 02:00 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Depending where you are in OK, there are two tracks in the DFW area. Make a weekend out of it. Eagles Canyon in Slidell and Motorsport Ranch in Cresson. I did my trackday through RideSmart. Good group of guys. In the novice group, it really didn't matter that much what type of bike you were on. Everyone is just learning, so your speed depends entirely on your skills and how comfortable you are with high speed braking and carrying speed into the corners. I have some track day pics of me dogging some pretty exotic bikes. I got passed as much as I passed others, so it's not like I was a star out there.

Just relax and have fun. You're not in a race, anyway. It's about learning to control your bike and position your body at higher speeds than you can safely try on public roads. One guy in my novice group went down. Hate to say, but he deserved it. He was acting like he was in a race, trying to pass everyone. Unfortunately for him, he didn't yet have the skills or experience to back it up. No one felt sorry for him when he wadded it up. Just a low side with no physical injuries.

Whichever track day you attend will have a prep list for you. If you're running in a novice group, you won't have to make major changes. You don't have to change out coolant or safety wire anything. Mainly, tape up lights and mirrors and signals. There is a safety inspection, too. Brake pads at least 50%. Tires at least 50%. No leaks. Throttle doesn't stick. Simple stuff.
Quote:
If you are going to go out on a stock 919, aside from what the track provider might require for prep, is the following suggested list.

Remove throttle cable slack.

Remove mirrors.

Tape all lenses.
Use the blue masking tape, sticks enough but does not fuse like white does, and won't blow off like green can.
If they saying duct or plastic tape, just put that over the blue masking tape, trust me, when it comes for removing it, you'll be thankful. Especially on a hot day.

I don't bother removing the headlight wire connector, some do. Same story re brake light.

Front End
Run your ride height (so called preload) adjusters all the way down, and if you refuse to do that, run them mid range.
Check your rebound adjustment, and remember that too much will get you into serious trouble in a hurry, while a bit less than ideal will not cause you grief.
Don't be surprised to see that almost all of your compression stroke travel is used up by hard braking. (use a zip tie as indicator of maximum travel used)

Rear End
The stock unit is garbage and the spring is way too soft.
Some run with max preload, although I feel that # 4 is probably better otherwise the rear end will act like it is solid when extended under any hard braking.
It's probably best to leave the rebound adjuster at the Honda manual suggested initial setting, and just put up with whatever you get.
919s with stock shocks squat badly on a track, 2004s and later in particular.
The rear shock unit is a real weakness on the track, concentrate on being very smooth on the guess, avoid whacking the throttle in 2nd & 3rd (assuming you don't have any 1st gear turns), and see 1 above again.

Tire Pressure.
You will hear such a range of things to do or not to do that your head will be spinning. What to believe and what to do hang in the balance.
It's your first time on the track, you do NOT want to run rears in the 20s as you will be spooked by carcass movement.
Nor do you do want to run the Honda manual pressures otherwise the tires will not grip as well. (as in 36 F 42 R)
Go for a pressure that allows some carcass flex, gives better grip, and still feels "familiar" when cold and when warmed up.
32 front and 34/35 rear is something you simply can not go wrong with be it hot,cold, wet, or dry.
Once you have a few sessions under your belt, and feel you can use more grip, then find someone that either "knows the tire" you use, or is using them, and see what they are using.
For example, Michelin 2CTs work well locally for us with 31 cold F and 30 cold R.
Just remember that the more grip you put into the tires by either pressure settings or the ones you are riding on, the more you are asking the stock suspension to cope with under increasingly extreme conditions.
This is all good info. I've done well over 10 trackdays, including a couple months ago at Barber Motorsports Park (That track is like visiting a Country Club for racers!). I've done most of my trackdays with RideSmart, as well as Lone Star Trackdays, which has a lot of TDs at ECR and Cresson. Try getting with one of those organizations. Both are good peeps, and I'm friends with some of their Instructors. RS is a very well organized group. LSTD is a little more hands-off (unless you add class time), but that's mainly because they cater more to CMRA Racers who use their TDs to practice or hone their skills.
The best bet for you, for a first timer, would be to go the RS route, and sign up for Level 1.

Your 919 will do just fine... That's me in my avatar at a LSTD Trackday.

post #13 of 56 Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Guys Ill also be doing my first track day this coming monday.
How do I remove the Throttle cable slack?

post #14 of 56 Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Also any helpful hints on what to bring to the track?

post #15 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith View Post
Check your FSM. Minor adjustments can be made topside by loosening the nut and turning the adjuster on the one cable. Major adjustments can be done at the other end, but you will have to lift the tank. Don't forget to secure the lock nuts and check cable operation after you adjust.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #16 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Discen

food,water, hat, tyre pressure guage, zip ties, duct tape, a set of wrenches.fuel
Are you riding bike or trailering .
the list can get long

post #17 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith
Make sure you check it from lock to lock for any binding after you adjust it.

post #18 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Cornicen

If there isn't a open paddock with a roof at the track then a quick pop-up shade cover can make it better than being in the sun all day.

post #19 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt
food,water, hat, tyre pressure guage, zip ties, duct tape, a set of wrenches.fuel
the list can get long
+1, you'll need painters tape for all your lights. Mirrors will have to come off. Make sure your throttle doesn't stick and springs back when you release it. Bring Gatorade as well as water, you'll need something with electrolytes. Make sure your suspension is set and your tires are at a good pressure for track.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #20 of 56 Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Dragon Slayer

I have done 2 trackdays on a Kawi ZRX 1100 which weighs well over 500 lbs and had a blast. The 919 would not tire me out as much. I need to get my 919 to the track next year after all my modifications are ironed out.

post #21 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Check your FSM. Minor adjustments can be made topside by loosening the nut and turning the adjuster on the one cable. Major adjustments can be done at the other end, but you will have to lift the tank. Don't forget to secure the lock nuts and check cable operation after you adjust.

Doc
This is a little embarrising What and where is the FSM?

post #22 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehirt View Post
the list can get long
I will be trailering to NJMSP because the possibility exists I may not want to ride home after a long track day.

I dont mind a long list I would rather have stuff I dont need or too much that not have what I need or not enough.

Thank you so much guy you all been so awesome!!!!!!

post #23 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
This is a little embarrising What and where is the FSM?
Factory Service Manual

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ra9j3gn4c...-converted.pdf

post #24 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Factory Service Manual
L.M.A.O

WOW and I thought it was a part on the bike.

Thanks Mike

post #25 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

As others have said - it's not a race, so don't worry about other riders or bikes being faster than you. A 600 with a good rider can destroy a 919 on the track, but a 919 is more than capable out there, so just go work on your riding skills and have a great time!
If you have any problem areas or concerns, go find an instructor or control rider and talk with them. The want you to be safe and become a better rider ,so they'll probably ride with you during your next session (both following and leading you) to help you out.

A word of caution - - track days are extremely addictive!!! Start saving your pennies now!

post #26 of 56 Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
The Cripple

!00% what Mdtoney said... Addictive...

You wanted a long list, you got one!:

cooler
ice
water/gatorade
sandwiches/snacks
tool box
tools
canopy
chair(s)
camera
tire gauge
air compressor (if you have a mobile one)
painters tape
cleaner (for visor and whatever else)
rags
fuel can (with fuel)
go pro (or similar if you have one, useful for reviewing your technique and improving each session)
laptop (for go pro if u have one)
hat
zipties
sun shades
folding table
???
profit

post #27 of 56 Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Cornicen

A great drill I did to better my throttle control was to go around the track without using the brakes. Of course you don't get to "enjoy" the track as much because you don't get to go all out. But anyone can go all out in the straights and hit the brakes (correctly and incorrectly) in the corners. You'll get a better sense of throttle control and how to correctly use it in the corners. Meaning you never go off throttle once your in the corner. That happens when you are actually going faster than you feel comfortable doing, which then force you to hit the brakes, which then causes a chain reaction on suspension on position etc, etc. and ruins how you take the corners.

No brakes drill: Run the track in 2nd or 3rd, enter the corners with the speed you're comfortable with and consciously DO NOT BRAKE for the corner. Enter at the speed you're comfortable in and steadily bring on the throttle once you're committed to the corner. Steady throttle on to bring the bike accellerating through the corner. Your mantra is: steady gas, gas, gas as you're in the corner, NO BRAKING or chopping the throttle as you corner. Good learning drill for the track. Have fun!

post #28 of 56 Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Packin up and heading out tonight
Thanks guys

post #29 of 56 Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Packin up and heading out tonight
Thanks guys
How was your track day?

post #30 of 56 Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Tirone

Hello!

Last September I had the opportunity to do two track days with my 919 (first time ever on a track). It was an amazing experience and looking forward to go again next year.

Cheers,

post #31 of 56 Old 12-31-2016, 06:03 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario_hawk View Post
Hello!

Last September I had the opportunity to do two track days with my 919 (first time ever on a track). It was an amazing experience and looking forward to go again next year.

Cheers,

What track is that you are on ?
I can tell what tracks it isn't, but have no clue which one it is.
Please, do tell !

post #32 of 56 Old 12-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Tirone

Hello mcromo44, it is Mecaglisse circuit. Located in Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci in Quebec.

Info here: https://www.mecaglisse.com/en/

post #33 of 56 Old 12-31-2016, 07:16 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Hello mcromo44, it is Mecaglisse circuit. Located in Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci in Quebec.

Info here: https://www.mecaglisse.com/en/
Hi Dario_hawk, and thanks for pinging me back on this. Is this somehow linked with the old Circuit le Mont Tremblanc? Perhaps something like all the side additions to Mosport in Ontario? I was at the old track back in the mid 70s. Also Sanair. I'd love to hear more about it from your point of view. No doubt others in the Montreal and Ottawa are would also. Have a good 2017.

post #34 of 56 Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Hi Dario_hawk, and thanks for pinging me back on this. Is this somehow linked with the old Circuit le Mont Tremblanc? Perhaps something like all the side additions to Mosport in Ontario? I was at the old track back in the mid 70s. Also Sanair. I'd love to hear more about it from your point of view. No doubt others in the Montreal and Ottawa are would also. Have a good 2017.
Hello mcromo44. I don't think the circuits are related. Both are in the Laurentians region (driving is like 1h15 minutes between them). People say that Mecaglisse circuit is not a very fast circuit but very technical so is very good to learn and practice the good techniques. Also the instructors and the owner are very nice and professionals always give very good advice, etc.. Hope to return again this year.

Happy new year for you too. Thanks!

post #35 of 56 Old 01-21-2017, 10:06 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Hello mcromo44. I don't think the circuits are related. Both are in the Laurentians region (driving is like 1h15 minutes between them). People say that Mecaglisse circuit is not a very fast circuit but very technical so is very good to learn and practice the good techniques. Also the instructors and the owner are very nice and professionals always give very good advice, etc.. Hope to return again this year.

Happy new year for you too. Thanks!
Thanks for the info and insight.

post #36 of 56 Old 06-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Thanks for the info and insight.
Hello mcromo44, went back again last weekend, this is my third time and I really love and enjoy that. Thank you so much for all the guidelines you wrote, they were very helpful. Looking forward to go again in July.

Some pics:

post #37 of 56 Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Hello mcromo44, went back again last weekend, this is my third time and I really love and enjoy that. Thank you so much for all the guidelines you wrote, they were very helpful. Looking forward to go again in July.

Some pics:

Hello in return, Dario_hawk!
Great to see youíre back at it again.
Hmm, another trackaholic in the making perhaps?
Such a delightful vice.

How timely a resurrection of the thread, recent WT poster nathanktm should find it of some usefulness.
Heís recently just done his first track day.
A good chunk of what now follows is as much slanted for him

Some real nice pics of you in action.
Nice form.

Still on stock handlebars?
Something like Renthal ULs would let you get more out and down and forward.
Some tank grip pads on the upper flare out section will really let you hook you knee higher so more of you can get over and down.
Iím curious about where you have your foot resting when you are knee down.
Somehow still on the peg, or are you putting the sole of your boot against the sideplate the pegs mount to?

Have you scraped the centre stand yet?
If so, how far over when it happens?
(Did you cut out the upper centre tube of the centre stand so it can easily be on/offed without having to touch the exhaust system?)

Be it in the next while, or after the next event, how about some posting re your experiences and observations?

Bubble Up, Rubber Down

post #38 of 56 Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
919 Rider

Great pics Dario. I've always liked a well presented 919 cornering. Looks mean.
Dario_hawk likes this.

post #39 of 56 Old 06-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

It was my 5th track day on the 919. I did 4 last year and this was the first of the year. I am indeed addicted but I feel bad for the bike. Also, it's a rather expensive hobby for a broke college student... In its stock form it's rather uncomfortable to go quickly on. On good tires it's plenty fast enough to pass most riders regardless of bike but there's really no comparison to a liter bike on slicks. Certainly a joy having people come up to me after a session and ask me "what the heck is that thing?"

mcromo44, Dario_hawk and Islandboy like this.

post #40 of 56 Old 06-16-2017, 08:23 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
It was my 5th track day on the 919. I did 4 last year and this was the first of the year. I am indeed addicted but I feel bad for the bike. Also, it's a rather expensive hobby for a broke college student... In its stock form it's rather uncomfortable to go quickly on. On good tires it's plenty fast enough to pass most riders regardless of bike but there's really no comparison to a liter bike on slicks. Certainly a joy having people come up to me after a session and ask me "what the heck is that thing?"

Hey, you're out there AND having fun!
Who's the winner, eh?
Isn't it nice showing off the bargain basement frame to those that quiz?
And the bolted on plates to tie the engine/frame/swingarm together?
It's kinda like opining on the taste of a wine.
One should always know how much it costs before they taste - as that's the only way to put the taste in proper context.
Suddenly the 919 looks like a super bargain.....................
Dario_hawk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode